The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Is there a short shifter for a '90

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90 AWD

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 16, 2003
Oxnard, California
I did the Symborski shift kit and OEM 2g knob. Now I just need a shifter. Does anyone make one? Mofugas did but their out of business. I saw one at Buschurs (BM shifter) site for the 1g's but dont know if it will fit the 90.

some people are able to put it in but I was not, you gotta bend some metal pieces...etc. I know Pacesetter sells one, but quality wise I don't know if they're good.

Does anyone have any good sites that sell short shifters? I own a 92' Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. I have found 2 sites and was just wondering if anyone had any good sites. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

I haven't heard of any 1G'ers that were happy with a short throw shifter since the trans is so notchy. If yours still shifts like butter, maybe check out NOPI, MachV, and the site's sponsors... Normally I'd just say look at Road///Race but they only have the B&M for 2Gs. You might also want to search on here, I think some people have modified the shifter themselves. Others were happy with a small aftermarket shift knob.

I'm not sure if this is right, but can't you make the shifter alot shorter by just getting a shorter shift knob. That stock one is like 3" tall, while the stock 2g shift knob is like 1.5" tall... Maybe that'll help. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

i wanna install a short throw shifter on my 90 gsx, but does anyone know if they're hard to do? is there any adjusting you need to do with the cables, or can you just bolt it right in?

I htink they mean between the two 1G body styles, but I'm not sure. I've seen them on Extreme Motorsports. They're starting to be discontinued. Get them while you still can.

I am having a hard time finding a quality short shifter for my 90 AWD! Can anyone recommend a site or have a part number for such.

Thanks

I would also like to have a decent short shifter for my 93 1g.

As far as I know only pacesetter and obx make them right now and they can cause problems because they don't have "stops" to keep yourself from "overshifting" the transmission. If anybody is using one of these shifters or knows how to modify one to make it work better I would love to know.

are those pilot shifters any good? Is that little block the stops that you need?

I ordered the Pilot short shifter and it looked really nice. It looked just as stout or more so than the stock one. I'm not sure if it has the stops on it or not. I however have a 90 and it didn't fit. I didn't know this at the time. OMG The instructions even said it was for a 89-94. It looked like I could have ground down the part that didn't fit, but I wasn't comfortable doing that and then it still not work. I took it back and got some other stuff I was needing. Arctic-tsi uses the same shifter on his car and he only uses top notch stuff on his smokin' ride. His website www.arctic-racing.com has the part number for the pilot shortshifter. I would also highly reccommend the Greddy heavy weight shiftknob. I've got that and the symborski shift kit on my 90 and absolutely love it. Later.

Where can I get a short shifter for my 1st gen? I see the B&M one only come for the 95-99 models...any ideas?

Originally posted by 1gE.T.
B&M makes a short shifter
Yes, but -so far as I know- not for the 1G.

I don't know if it'd modify to fit or not. And I don't know why they or someone doesn't come out with one.

Mofugas used to, but they've been gone for some time now.

Hey, I was wondering if a custom short shifter works almost as good as a B&M, I have one but i don't think it shortened the throw at all.. just made it harder to shift with...I can't find a picture of a B&M short throw shifter for a 90 talon either.. if you have one please post it..I am thinking of maybe trying to make one.:D It probably won't work.. but i have an extra shifter, so i think i could just as well try.

Um, well if you know where I can get a B&M short throw shifter for a 90 PLEASE gime a link. I have been looking for a while and can only find the 91-94's

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back