The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is there a gasket between the front cover and the oil filter housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Is there a gasket between the front cover and the oil filter housing or is it a machine fit? I haven't had one off in years. I usually send it to the machine shop for assembly, since they can machine parts if they are not in exact tolerances and I've never had the housing fail.

I'm putting my cams in this week and this motor actually has balance shafts, so I'm doing a ghetto BSE, putting a "pre-stubed" oil pump and front cover on my motor while I've got the timing belt off and leaving the belt driven shaft in without belt and only pulling the shaft behind the pump. Honestly i don't feel like going through the rest to pull the belt driven shaft, install off center bearings, cap the fron hole and seal that bolt that's so famous for leaking when this is only a temp motor anyway until i finish my other shortblock(again).

I'm just coming up with a shopping list for tomorrow so i can have most if not everything i need before i start the install. Hoping to walk through cams, BSE and alky injection install in one day, in the bitter cold of Nebraska :D My propane heater keep the garage some what warm, it's the melting snow falling in your face while working under the car that gets me LOL

Cool, any idea if it's common at auto parts stores or a dealer only affair.. wondering the same about the front cover gasket, i have one, but it's in rough shape. Thanks !

I plan on doing the T belt and all pullys and the tensioner while i'm in there. I'm wanting this thing to hold up to a beating this summer :D

I don't know about the front cover gasket. But the other one I got from either advance or autozone.

Cool, we have both those places and i think oreily or NAPA would have it and still be cheaper than the stealership. I found the part #'s on all the gaskets except teh front cover to block one. Would you happen to have that info for an ealry 1990 motor?

I'm printing out the VFAQ's now in case something gets past my memory ( usually it's what way the oil pump pully has to "fall") but i'm getting rid of the balance shafts. I just don't want to be at my shop and have to say "oh sh!t, I gotta bum a ride to the house and back from here", hoping some one is free in the middle of the day.LOL

Both gaskets should be available from either napa or autozone, but no more than they cost you can get them from and chrysler dealership too. Just order the parts for a laser (assuming 6 bolt)

I had a nasty leak on the front case a while back, went through 2 or 3 fel-pro gasket in a week and finally bought an oem gasket and it hasn't leaked since.

^^^ Agreed I beleive mine was 6.52 from the dealer? But I got a wholesale account.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back