The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Is the timing off on this engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pull all the spark plugs and stick a long screwdriver or rod down the hole of number one cylinder (closest to cam gears) and rotate the engine (clockwise only!) When you see the rod at it's highest travel, stop and look at the cam gears. The two marks on the cam gears should line up- No compression will have the marks off at least a couple teeth.

O.p. in both pictures the timing is off by a tooth or so! You don't have the marks lined up correctly. They need to be perfectly straight across with the dowel pins at 12 o'clock, the marks should make a straight line with the top of the head, use a ruler/straight edge if needed to see the line better! Don't crank the motor again till the you know the timing is perfect, or you risk bent valves! If your crank mark is lined up than your timing belt has slipped/ jumped a tooth from the looks of the picture and your no compresion complaint!

That's how the cam gears sit unless someone holds the marks lined up. Valve springs...

Anyway, forgot to mention the timing marks on the timing cover itself. There will be a notch I believe on the crank pulleys outer circumference. It should be lined up with the 0 degree on the plastic timing cover.

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately I've already cranked the engine so the valves are already bent? Even if I got the timing back properly will compression be completely gone on all 4 cylinders?

Could also try leakdown test... Rotate engine until cam gear dowels are up (compression, all valves closed, wiggle rockers to be sure all 4 valves closed on #1) Shouldn't loose air (search 'Calan leakdown compression dsmtuners' on Google for a good walkthrough)

Dowels up or down, as long the cam sprocket marks line up and crank is at 0', the piston is at TDC and valve train is either on exhaust or compression stroke.

When you cranked it over was there valve train noise? Is the car not running at all? Can you check timing properly and show us pics? Marks need to line up and dowels at 12 o'c. Number 1 cyl tdc.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 449
Ok I'll get pics later on when it's warmer outside. In the meantime I am also looking into replacing the timing belt myself. Is there a better guide than this one?

Timing Belt VFAQ

It's helpful but it would really help if there were actual pictures of the engine being worked on instead of drawings. Does anyone have a guide that shows the timing belt actually being replaced with pics?

You don't need to take the timing covers off. Plenty of ways around it.

Line the notches up with the 't' on the plastic scale. THAT means crank is at top dead center.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks guys. I already found 4g63 head for cheap on Craigslist from a 1996 GST for only $150. Will that work fine? Also can I reuse the head bolts or will I need to buy new ones as well along with a new head gasket? And what do you think caused the timing to jump like this? I have no idea of the previous history of the car.

Lastly is this a good kit for the timing components and head gasket parts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-99-2-0-L...its=Model:Eclipse&hash=item20b56df12e&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plymouth-Ea...its=Model:Eclipse&hash=item3cb2ab302f&vxp=mtr

You need to buy new head bolts or use a head stud like arp's. you should also buy the tbelt tool kit if you don't have them.

I would also recommend you purchase the "1st timing belt job dexterity kit". Any local parts chain store should have them in stock

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back