The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is the 4g63 still the baddest 4 cylinder there is?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted DSM 32

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 21, 2011
McDonald, Ohio
Do you guys still think the 4g63 is the best 4 cylinder in the world? I had a buddy try and tell me a gm Ecotec is just as good as our 4g.. I almost laughed in his face his only excuse he says to me is that our cars "break down all the time" and another thing he says is that if srt4s ad cobalt ss came awd they would be just as capable of a 7 second pass like John sheppard has went.. My reply to him was well guess what your cars don't come awd do they? :) LOL

Basically he try's to tell me a cobalt ss or srt4 is just as good of a street car as an awd dsm. Does anyone know the fastest times of a factory body Ecotec car or srt4 is? Have they even seen 8s yet? I would really like to know some stats so I could run them in his face haha moral of the story is I already know the 4g63 is the superior 4 banger I just want to prove it to him that it is.. I think comparing a cobalt or srt4 to an awd dsm is insulting

An ecotech ran a 6.71, 11 tenths faster than brent rau. Either way, its the only ecotech in the area, whereas there's plenty of 4Gs running sub 9s,8s etc. As far as I know the 4g is still the fastest* 4cyl in the 1/4 mile ( I.e. literally the fastest mph not ET)

I think the Ecotec is the new bad boy on the block as far as 4 cyl turbo motors go. I owned a modified HHR SS with the 2.0 ecotec turbo (same as Cobalt SS turbo). There are people with stock turbo, bolt ons, and tune making 360-380 whp (I made 340 whp on a mild tune). Slap a upgraded turbo and re-tune your looking at 380-450 whp. Upgrade the camshafts with the bigger fuel lobe and you can get 450+ whp. Of course with E85 tune, all those numbers should be slightly higher.
All the above is without touching any internals on the motor. The weak link is the transmissions, which can be upgraded.

With all that said, there is waaaayyy more support for the 4G63, that in itself make it a better platform to build on.

Actually there are several 6 second ecotec cars. There a full line of GM sponsored drag cars. Plus a ton of privateers. Some 1500hp sky's and solstice's. With them holding the record and the number of them doing it, id say they own the bragging rights of being the "baddest 4cyl" right now.

I definately know Ecotec can make power there great motors but I'm mainly talking about there actual cars like say a full stock body cobalt like sheppards talon what's the fastest one of those has went? The motors are good but there fwd blows my buddies ion only has 260whp and it spins like a bi*** already until 60

Here is all you respond with, send him a copy of the DSM Shootout DVD and then ask him for a copy of the SRT or Cobalt shootout video with dozens upon dozens upon dozens of 11 second or faster cars.

If you need to pick a motor, ECOTEC is probably ahead, mainly because of substantial GM support. Where as we get NOTHING from Mitsu... But take a look at all the crappy, FWD packages it comes in! Aside of few RWD cars, it is a total waste of otherwise good engine!

Agreed, you can get factory support and a build book that will tell you how to make 1400hp with the ECOTEC. Giving you all the specs and part numbers to do it.

GM put a massive backing into it.

OP it sounds like you are confusing best 4-cyl chassis with best 4-cylinder. Even then, I'm not sold that the DSMs are the best chassis either.

Renault, Lancia and Audi are the podium finishers there in my opinion.

Right on. Before i got my awd, i was looking for a jbody with a 2.2 ecotec. I had one when i was in high school. Cant beat an aluminum block. But agreed, their suspensions are pretty shitty, and the trans is notchy as hell

Agreed, you can get factory support and a build book that will tell you how to make 1400hp with the ECOTEC. Giving you all the specs and part numbers to do it.

Yep, they have a pdf version of it for anyone who wants to check it out.

GM put a massive backing into it.

I went down to a GM sponsored event and seen the epic set up they brought with them. Rolled out the red carpet for that one. It was in the early stages of development. They were trying to get a trans to hold up. They probably had a full trailer full of built trans. Broke quite of a few of them, but they had plenty LOL. It was quite a site.

OP it sounds like you are confusing best 4-cyl chassis with best 4-cylinder. Even then, I'm not sold that the DSMs are the best chassis either.

Agree here. The cobalt laid down a respectable nurburgring lap time. Im not into fwd but they seem pretty well rounded.

I've yet to drive one, but i rode in a built turbo cobalt. It was so smooth and effortless. New tech is great. Almost made me want one.

If the Ion/Slowbalt was not wrong wheel drive they would be great. I love the ION redline, it is a sexy ass looking car. But, it is wrong wheel drive.

So long as there is still new tech being offered year to year, and plenty of vendors offering parts, itll keep drawing enthusiasts. Especially since mitsu hasnt offered up a turbo sportscoupe in the states since 99...

I don't doubt that the motors are great for making power they just suck with that fwd there terrible street cars unless your doing a 60 roll or somethjng and there super expensive to even get somewhat fast especially the supercharged ones

It should also be noted that the motor in a cobalt ss and the motor in an srt4 are entirely different. With that said...yes, Ecotec is king with the 4g63 trailing just behind. Hate to burst your bubble.

They make more power because of the Motorola/Freescale engine management systems they use. Those modules contain the best engine managment controller on the market on top of the best traction control system out there (hence the faster times). I think the 4g63 motor is king in the 4cyl world it just needs to use a better engine management system. Which everyone thinks is AEM and that's not true at all...

How does the 4g63 stack up against the 4b11s that come in new Evos?

Yeah, I honestly like the Dsmlink v3 engine managment system,to me its the best, but im also not building an all out racer ethier too.

I hear people say that, but then I see a BUNCH of 8-9 second all out racers use Link and wonder: "When do you truly need something beyond ECM Link?"

Ecotech is pretty cool, but better than 4G?LOL

Why are we comparing GMs million dollar drag project cars?

Ecotech might be a sick motor, too bad it hasn't come in a car worth looking at or driving more than once.

I'm sure the Cobalt SS will have a following like the DSM & EVO does.

Buddy had a pretty modded redline and I loved the way it looked, but of course a wrx would still destroy it in any real race.

But that supercharged 4 banger sounded so ####ing sweet. Alot different than your average turbocharged car.

Does anyone know the fastest times of a factory body Ecotec car or srt4 is? Have they even seen 8s yet?

I had to look into this. What i found was a stock unibody cobalt has gone 7.56 at etown. Which is faster then the fastest stock body dsm. Another bragging right the ecotec has over the dsm.

An ecotech ran a 6.71, 11 tenths faster than brent rau. Either way, its the only ecotech in the area, whereas there's plenty of 4Gs running sub 9s,8s etc. As far as I know the 4g is still the fastest* 4cyl in the 1/4 mile ( I.e. literally the fastest mph not ET)

The ecotec car ran 207mph to rau's 201. So the dsm is neither the quickest or the fastest anymore.

Ecotech is pretty cool, but better than 4G?LOL

Hard to say your better when you arent better at anything LOL.

EcoTec is a 2.2, I am pretty sure that records are down by displacement, so wouldn't it be a moot argument anyway?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back