The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

is my engine walking? not the normal ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

13secGST

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 1, 2002
San Luis Obispo, California
ok...this is what happens i reverse into my gargage every night and my drive-way is big and slanted...I am in my driveway then I stop switch to reverse turn the wheel all the way to the right back up into my garage.

when I switch to reverse and back up sometimes I don't give it a whole lot of gas but I am letting the clutch out slow and the car shakes like a motha f*cka. is it just me kinda stalling? it just wierd cause I've never felt that before...I mean it SHAKES and rattles the whole car...when I push in the pedal it goes away. So Im not to worried but it happens more often then i'd like and it just seems wierd that it would only do that in reverse and not other gears cause its not like I give the car more gas while releasing the clutch other times...and I never stall the car.

Other thing is in the morning when engine is cold and i first start the car if I put the clutch in the revs will jump up about 300 more rpms then if I let it out cold idle is 1200 vs.1500-1600 (normal when warm is 500)

Also I have an ACT 2100

Is it was walking, the RPM's would go DOWN when you push the clutch in. It will also do this in real cold weather tho too when the tranny fluid is thick and puttin a load on the engine.

Doesn't sound like any crankwalk symptoms to me, If you have not had any crankwalk symptoms yet I would not be concerned with it. What your describing sounds more like a clutch adjustment issue.

Thread revival.

I'm having this exact same problem in my 97 GST. First time it happened was backing into my driveway ten minutes ago. I have a new ACT 2600 so I'm still in the habit of revving it a little high to make it easier to slip going in reverse up an incline. I hit about 2.5-3k and my engine just went nuts. FWD guys, it felt just like really scary bad wheel hop.

I freaked, turned the car off and got out and made sure my engine was still bolted up and the tranny was flush against the engine still... Looked ok with my camera light, turned it back on and made sure I was getting 20 vac on my boost gauge. Car idles fine. Put it in reverse again and BAH BAH BAH BAH BAH.

I just got it up and over the incline and reversed it slipping it at about 1500 with no problem. Parked it, flipped it off and went inside. Too dark and tired to take a real good look.

No vac leaks, no rough idle, no idle surge, gears don't grind, no clutch problems; been driving it about 2 hours total before this including some reversing and all was ok until now. Hit me with some knowledge.

sorry I don't think I ever found out exactly what was causing the issue. I had the car another year after that post. Honestly, looking back on it now, I think it was just an issue with myself and slipping the clutch. I was probably just letting it out a little too much not letting it slip enough. I had an S2k after the GST and never had an issue like this with that...now I'm in a Mini and no issues with anything!

Good luck

Motor mount, Christs motor looked like it wanted to jump out of the engine bay. Check all mounts, mainly rear one. Leave the hood open and have someone try to make it do it again while you watch. If it is a mount It will scare you pretty bad when you see how bad it moves.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back