The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is my cousin screwed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
Well yesterday, we went to get a car for my cousin off a used car lot. We test drove it really quick, I felt something wrong on that auto tranny. It kind of shift too hard. Nevertheless, my cousin still bought it. Well we were coming back to our town with this 98 mustang gt then all of a sudden after a stop the car won't move faster than 5mph.(I think its the clutches)

Now my cousin is left with a lemon car. He just took it back today, they are going to check it out. What if they don't fully cooperate on fixing it. Can my cousin take any legal action?

I know in wisconsin we have a lemon law. Where if you buy a car from a dealership, they give you 3 days. If you decide you dont want the car in those 3 days you can take it back. I'v already done it once.

should be a 30 day dealership warranty on the car..

Is the car just revving but not moving any faster than 5mph? is it bogging?

You could have a huge list of problems that could be simple or very difficult to repair. Check fluid, if so flush it, change filter. If that all fails, possibly the stator has broken off the splines in the torque converter, tranny front pump has lost seals and is not keeping pressure, burned clutches.... I can go on..

i would say he cant take a legal action. i never heard of it going 5mph with a transmission problem sounds like a motor problem.

How in the world would it be a motor problem, seriously? Motor runs fine. I'll describe the problem to you, He gives it gas and the car revs but moves very slow. I think IPT would be able to answer his tranny problem. I don't think it's the stall because reverse works fine. That's why I mentioned it might be the clutches.

I know I didn't want him to buy the ford either, but he liked it. Also, he bought it from a used car lot, not a dealership. Unfortunately, it can't be classified as a lemon car under the Texas lemon laws.

Talk to the dealership and play nice with them, they don't have to do anything about it and they know it. They might be willing to help you out a little bit just so that you will blab your mouth all over that even if you get a bad car from them they'll help out but if it gets expensive don't expect them to carry it all. It all depends on what sort of business they're running, sometimes you get lucky and work with good people and sometimes you don't.

The car itself didn't have stating AS-IS but i know the contract did. So there isn't any legal point that we can sue if they don't want to us out in any way? Would it be fraud if they are selling a car that breaks down 15miles later, while they stated everything was good.

I would go with what XiLaRaTiNg said. change the tranny fluid and filter. And check for metal shavings in the pan. There should be a magnet that helps collect it. My dads girl friend had the same problem. And it was with a ford van. GOOD LUCK :dsm:

The lot is checking the transmission out. I think they found out that a sensor isn't working right and trying to get that fixed. At least there trying to help :) .

Lemon law in Texas does not cover Used vehicles .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back