The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Is my bank account being garnished?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
As of 29th of October my bank account shows a balance of -3781.01 ... I bank with BBVA Compass and I've never over drafted or missed a payment on any of my bills. On my transactions i'm getting two "GARNISHMENT DEBITTexas Notice of Freeze 10/30/09" and a transaction that says " TX NOTICE OF FREEZE "

Well I wanted to ask if anyone ever had garnishments on their bank account and has it ever put your account in a negative balance... Also do you guys think I should talk to a lawyer about this? I always thought "they" need to take you to court in order to garnish your wages and bank acct.

Would you happen to owe back taxes or child support? Call a lawyer and see if he will explain it to you..Don't be suprised if they try to garnish your paycheck..

You could always call the bank and ask them what it is... they will know.

For things like federal student loans, child support, and taxes, they don't have to take you to court.

I'm 22 ; I don't have any kids for child support or owe a taxes. I don't have any property that they can charge taxes and during income tax i get most of my federal withholding back. In Texas it's illegal to garnish wages.

In Texas it's illegal to garnish wages.

You are right about that, except for IRS debt, child support, and federal student loans. You can be garnished for those things. But things like medical bills/credit cards, you can't be garnished for.

Just call the bank and ask them what it is.

Never had that problem before, I checked my credit report three-four months ago and everything looked right. I really sucks that this is happening because I don't get paid in two weeks plus i need to pay my rent on the 5th. If they made a mistake and most likely they did, do you guys think i have a case for legal action.

If the bank made a mistake, then they can just reverse the charges. If it's identity theft, then it's a criminal thing, and you just call the cops. But the 1st thing to do is call or visit the bank 1st thing tomorrow. I'd say call them now, but it's just as Sunday in TX as it is in IL right now. There may be a 1-800 number on your debit card. You might try calling that number right now and see if you can get a real person on the phone. Select the menu option for "suspicious charges on your account" or something like that.

so umm, what happened?

id be shitting bricks if my bank account was all of a sudden -$3k+. I had a $600 fraudalent charge from a Lowes (which was what tipped me off, if it was $600 at Home Depot i probably would have needed to take a second look, im a home depot fanboy since i know exactly where everythings at), went to the bank like 5min after seeing it online, went through their claims thingy, they credited me that amount back into my account and then did their investigation. It was a Lowes in NE which was pretty much a given to being fraud, and especially since i just did get a new bank card and pin that week, they think someone internally was still keeping the old one active and used that to make the purchase.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back