The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Is my 20g turbo blown,,,No shaft play.. Smoke at idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBS90TURBO

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2002
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a 20g with no shaft play at all..... Boosts/pulls real hard and smokes like any other dsm I've had when under heavy boost. But if you hit the gas after sitting at idle ,this car will blow a puff of white smoke when sitting at idle for a minute or so.

It only will blow a puff if it has been sitting at idle for a minute or more.

Can a turbo seal go bad and have no shaft play.

The engine and headgasket should not be the problem. Compression is 170 across the board.

Blowing smoke at idle sounds more like valve stem seals than anything else.

I'd pull the downpipe and LICP to check for oil buildup. If you don't find any I would be hard pressed to blame the turbo. A leakdown test would be a good idea once you've checked the above items.

Just for reference you can have perfect compression and still have head gasket issues, but if she's not pushing coolant or mixing coolant with oil I'd rule that out as well.

Blowing smoke at idle sounds more like valve stem seals than anything else.

I'd pull the downpipe and LICP to check for oil buildup. If you don't find any I would be hard pressed to blame the turbo. A leakdown test would be a good idea once you've checked the above items.

Just for reference you can have perfect compression and still have head gasket issues, but if she's not pushing coolant or mixing coolant with oil I'd rule that out as well.

Valve stem seals. Whats happening is your car is pushing a bit of oil passed the seals and loading up the exhaust. Soon as you hit the gas it moves out of the exhaust giving you the puff of smoke.

Usually if your pushing oil passed seals in the turbo you will get a decent amount of blue smoke during boost. When my 16g went, the first thing I got was one big cloud of smoke followed by consistent smoking during boost.

Ok here is the crazy part,,, There is oil all inside the compressor inlet and a little on the blades. The headgasket sould be ok, no mixing.

It must be the turbo going bad, it is a Haun 20g with 2k on it at 23lbs.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back