The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Is modding a 1996 RS even worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiring isnt that bad as long as you have a good wiring diagram and a good soldering iron and shrink wrap. I would think you could use an Evo8 ecu and wiring harness and then you just have to connect the engine harness to the chassis harness.

I kind of like wiring though.

I really want to do that, just seems a bit complicated
Its gonna seem complicated. Do the research on that specific swap, watch videos on youtube about other swaps. Search every forum you can about the topic until your eyes bleed. Always work on your car at your own risk and have every bit of knowledge available to you. It's an amazing feeling to put something together and watch it work.

Not sure where you live but basic fix ups are not to bad if you have a pull and save close by and do your own work. If you want to rip her out its going to be a lot of time and money to do so. My RS is super fast and gets good gas mileage. These cars if they have not been taken care of prior will cost some in breakdowns. I do recommend to do all your own work I found this out the hard way. I had a mechanic replace my timing belt and head gasket. They did not research what fluids are needed for my car. They just added power steering fluid in and blew my rack and pinion and pump right out of the car in less that five hundred miles. Long story short ATF in the power steering res. Special tranny fluid too mopar. I have three of these cars and looked at a complete revamp a couple of years ago and its over eight grand and that's if I do all my own work. I wish you luck and if you want to mod just start one piece at a time.

@Dayoung2 I didn't know you had an auto. In that case I wouldn't do anything major to it. Just maintenance and minor upgrades (intake, exhaust).
He can still do a manual swap, get his hands under the hood, put a nice clutch in there learn all that. Unless he don't have the tools for it then I would wait on that

It has a Modified exhaust set up with a manual. Upgraded air intake. Upgraded suspension and no not as fast as a modified Turbo but for a RS it does smoke most cars in this valley including my new 2013 Lancer SE 2.4. (N/A ?) but he's running a RS just like me and mine is fast maybe from the mods.

It has a Modified exhaust set up with a manual. Upgraded air intake. Upgraded suspension and no not as fast as a modified Turbo but for a RS it does smoke most cars in this valley including my new 2013 Lancer SE 2.4. (N/A ?) but he's running a RS just like me and mine is fast maybe from the mods.
I have at least twice the mods as you, and I still wouldn't consider my 420a "super fast".
Please do not start this immature stuff, I only asked a simple question.

I have a 99 RS, and while I do love it because it is a DSM, it will never be a GSX, and I have come to live with that. I have owned the car since 2012, and it has been my daily driver since (with a few hiccups along the way). And in the last few years I've come to realize just how rare these cars are nowadays, and I pride myself on having one that runs, isn't completely rusted out, and has a full interior that's in decent shape. This was my first car, and although it's not a GSX (at the time I just wanted a 97-99 eclipse, I was young and dumb), it has taught me invaluable lessons that I will always appreciate. I know everyone has their own taste, but my vision for the car now is just a clean nice running daily driver. And I think anyone that loves DSM's can appreciate that. As long as it's on the road and doesn't get neglected is what it's about for me.

i would love to do a manual swap, but that's going to be far in the future
In the meantime just do what maintenance you're able to do and get to know the inner workings. If you can, order a Chilton 1990-1999 dam service manual and just start reading it. I just got mine this week and it's absolutely awesome. Lots of info in there about maintenance and how to do it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back