The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

is it safe to run 2g maf in 1g without afc or injectors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetraceboi

Sep 4, 2002
San Antonio, Texas
is it safe to run a 2g maf in a 1g without any major mods?? will it mess up my engine? i know that i will run lean. i dont have any mods, just the 2g maf......how will my car run?? is the 2g maf in a 1g a big difference?? will i feel it?

You will run horriblly lean with no fuel mods!
You need at least:
1.)Fuel pump
2.)Super AFC

It is recommended that you also get
3.)550CC Injectors (for stock turbo / larger for bigger turbo)

Thanx,
DeathBeast

Good Question

I have a Walbro 255lph and a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, stock 450's.

If I slap in a 2G MAF, then could not I just turn the base Fuel Pressure up and be fine without a AFC?

If it is just running lean to worry about, then upping the Fuel Pressure to say 45psi at idle, instead of the 36 I should be fine right? (44-46 is what 2g's run at idle)

Would this work?

Originally posted by PRESSURIZED
Good Question

I have a Walbro 255lph and a Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, stock 450's.

If I slap in a 2G MAF, then could not I just turn the base Fuel Pressure up and be fine without a AFC?

If it is just running lean to worry about, then upping the Fuel Pressure to say 45psi at idle, instead of the 36 I should be fine right? (44-46 is what 2g's run at idle)

Would this work?

good question i have the same setup as you so i am wondering the same thing:confused:

I have a to4e turbo, 650cc injectors and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and I have a 2g mass ready to be installed. I'm running HORRIBLY rich and after the installation of my 2g mass, how much would it matter if I neglected to get an SAFC?

Originally posted by Hail2mee2
I have a to4e turbo, 650cc injectors and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and I have a 2g mass ready to be installed. I'm running HORRIBLY rich and after the installation of my 2g mass, how much would it matter if I neglected to get an SAFC?

How much would it matter? Thats like buying a comptuer with out keyboard and mouse or a car without a steering wheel, it doens't make sense and you can't do it. If you run those items you HAVE to get someting to run those injectors. You can not simply just slap that together and hope it runs ok. Doens't work that way.

Hey I have a motor to sell you with 3 pistons in it if your interested, 4th isn't needed really.:thumb:

Dude, you are not running rich beacuse of the 2g mas. From what i have been told, a 2g mas leans you out 20%, and 550 injectors richen 20%. So by putting on a 2g mas you couldnt all of the sudden run richer. You are running rich because of the huge ass 660's.

Also, i am running 560's with just an AFPR, the car runs great. Although afc would be much better.

First let me apologize to jim the ricer up there - i'm sure you've got a nice aftermarket steering wheel to turn your beautiful :thumb: 2g dsm and a sleek, expensive keyboard crammed somewhere in there. However, it seems as if my budget isn't as expansive as yours and neither is my knowledge of mafs and super afc's. (Hence why I asked, my man.) Although your advice was appreciated, the overwhelming sense of "I'm better than you" wasn't very welcomed. Now, though, if you could point me in the direction of someone who could properly install my safc in Pennsylvania, I'll get one as soon as I can. Thanks guys...

First let me apologize to jim the ricer up there - i'm sure you've got a nice aftermarket steering wheel to turn your beautiful :thumb: 2g dsm and a sleek, expensive keyboard crammed somewhere in there. However, it seems as if my budget isn't as expansive as yours and neither is my knowledge of mafs and super afc's. (Hence why I asked, my man.) Although your advice was appreciated, the overwhelming sense of "I'm better than you" wasn't very welcomed. Now, though, if you could point me in the direction of someone who could properly install my safc in Pennsylvania, I'll get one as soon as I can. Thanks guys...

Actually Jim is fairly knowledgeable and not much of a ricer. Oh here, you will most likely always get criticized if you buy parts before researching them, which is what you did.

Just a tip for the future: read as much as you can first and buy second.

Install the afc yourself: http://www.taboospeedshop.com/SAFC1G.htm

Haha actually Jim seems extremely knowledgable and I wouldn't ever call a turbo DSM tuner a ricer and actually mean it. (I read a post on needforspeed.com about ricers and have been calling EVERYONE a ricer.) But thanks for the link and the advice man

well, the rule of thumb for the 1g is 550cc and the 2 g maf at the same time, or you must have an AFC. The only feasible thing I have seen is the raise pressure to 44-46 psi like a 2g, that may work , but if it would trust it is another question. I am running 550cc and a 2g maf, and it runs smooth, but noticiblty rich, but the AFC is comming over winter.
Now for the T04e guy, you will run like crap with the 1g or 2g MAF, you NEED fuel control to get your car to run correctly, you unfortunaty have no choice. You'll need (if your on a budget) get a used AFC, or even a Gretty E-Manage. Not many DSM;ers use it, but I installed one in a freinds can and it was very easy to use. Look into it.

ever thought about the GM maf and translator? you can then vent open atmosphere, have a 3 inch maf (flows ALOT more then the 2g maf), and the translator is like an afc. just some more to think about ;)

i know a kid with stock 450's, with walbro 255lph, running atleast 20psi, with no fuel controll what soever. stock everything else. even exhaust. oh, and he has a 2g maf.

stock injectors and a 2g maf.....How about not. Their is somthing you dont know going on their or you (and he) has no Idea what his car has on it. Let me guess, it runs 11's too right?
Now for the GM maf guy, the only proper way to vent into the atmosphere with that settup is if you have the MAF after hte BOV (which I assume you meant) at which time a 3inch MAF would be pointless unless ur running 3 inch intercooler pipeing. the 3 incher is only good for a befor the turbo application, in that case, performing the same as any other MAF in a open BOV application, rich between shifts

Originally posted by coltboostin
at which time a 3inch MAF would be pointless unless ur running 3 inch intercooler pipeing. the 3 incher is only good for a befor the turbo application, in that case, performing the same as any other MAF in a open BOV application, rich between shifts

Not true. The 3" and even 3.5" have worked just fine in blowthroug. Sure there is some loss associated with the expansion/contraction, but it is so small you won't even notice.

I never said they would not function, I said the extra size is usless, as you have even stated. Hell, you even incured that their may be minor problems with the larger MAF on the smaller pipe, also backing up my statement. You can get a 2.5inch MAF out of any old gunkyard, but the 3 and 3.5 inchers are hard to find and most people by them new, so Im sayin why do that when it is pointless in a blow through situation? That was my point, and thanks for backing it up :)
I still wanna see this "my dudes got.....stock injectors....no fuel control...2g maf kid"
I always hated that "my dudes got" crap. Its liek you pull up in ur 11 second ride, and everyone is like thats hot, but one hater has got to be like "My dudes got a camaro that runs like 8's or somthin"
Yeah, sure, what r u drinin anyways?
"that hunda"
Oh............nuff said

stock injectors and a 2g maf.....How about not. Their is somthing you dont know going on their or you (and he) has no Idea what his car has on it. Let me guess, it runs 11's too right?
Now for the GM maf guy, the only proper way to vent into the atmosphere with that settup is if you have the MAF after hte BOV (which I assume you meant) at which time a 3inch MAF would be pointless unless ur running 3 inch intercooler pipeing. the 3 incher is only good for a befor the turbo application, in that case, performing the same as any other MAF in a open BOV application, rich between shifts
how about..yes.Iknow what he has, and I don't know why its working. blow-off valve is also vented, but it has a lil' flapper on it.

-colton

Well ,try and get some pics on the net, I know it is not easy cause I still cant get pics on yet! And get this kid to a computer so he can do a full write up on what he did, because if what yor saying is accurate, then he is some kind of genius and got around problems no one esle has been able to.

I never said they would not function, I said the extra size is usless, as you have even stated. Hell, you even incured that their may be minor problems with the larger MAF on the smaller pipe, also backing up my statement. You can get a 2.5inch MAF out of any old gunkyard, but the 3 and 3.5 inchers are hard to find and most people by them new, so Im sayin why do that when it is pointless in a blow through situation? That was my point, and thanks for backing it up :)
I still wanna see this "my dudes got.....stock injectors....no fuel control...2g maf kid"
I always hated that "my dudes got" crap. Its liek you pull up in ur 11 second ride, and everyone is like thats hot, but one hater has got to be like "My dudes got a camaro that runs like 8's or somthin"
Yeah, sure, what r u drinin anyways?
"that hunda"
Oh............nuff said

When did I say it was useless?? You have much greater loss with a 1g maf and a 2g would be worse than the gm maf as well. Less loss is a good thing.

Minor problems? It is less of a problem than a single 90 degree bend in your ic pipe if my fluid mechanics is right.

I got my 3.5" maf used for $60. Its not hard to ask around and find one within a week. Hell mine lived a few streets over from me.

My short route ic piping and clean straight intake pipe with the flexibility to put the bov wherever I wanted are reason enough for me to do blowthrough. So, where did I back up your useless comment?

You can run a 2g maf in a 1g with the stock injectors and no fuel controller. You need to up date the fuel pump for more pressure. With this set up you can run 18psi. The stock 450ccs are good to 300 hp.:talon:

Originally posted by autokid90TSi
You can run a 2g maf in a 1g with the stock injectors and no fuel controller. You need to up date the fuel pump for more pressure. With this set up you can run 18psi. The stock 450ccs are good to 300 hp.:talon:

Explain how a larger pump will increase pressure along the fuel curve when pressure is controlled by the Fuel Pressure Regulator:confused:

^^ Simple you can't.

Unless of corse the pump is so large it is overruning the stock regulator in which case yes the pressure on the whole fuel curve will incress but thats FAR FAR from controled. And you will have idel problems like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back