The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

is it just me or is that jarule "im from ny" song so stupid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryu

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2003
never never land, Maryland
this is one more song for the bunch of crappy songs that keep coming out but i thought this one was really REALLY stupid. "iv got a hundred guns and clips, because im from newyawk"......?...... this "im from new york" thing is getting out of hand.how can ignorant music be so popular??? i watch THE TV once in a while and i decided to check out b.e.t.it ranked that song as number 2 or something on the request countdown. its sad really. this culture has cultivated poeple who only care about money and how to get it.so many of those "rappers" care only for the green. and they make money rapping about it. lets just all become a nation of consumers! :thumb: spent 15 years living in a plastic life and only now am i starting to see the fakeness of many things. songs like this only help the problem. packin heat has nothing to do w/being from new york. ja rule sounds like a little kid.i can go on and on so illl just stop. so what do you guys think about the music of today?peace

JUST YOU... i was born in new york. (white plains) and i like the song maybe since your from mary land is a reason your not picking up on the song. but to each is own...and it ranked number two in new york! bet is in new york. new yorkers like new york. and its not because hes from new york. its hes from new york.... :thumb:

It is a really dumb song....

Just cuz he's from new york he thinks hes cool... its really ruining hip hop and rap...

these days people will rhyme just about anything... as we speak they are making millions because of it

Gary 420A RS said:
JUST YOU... i was born in new york. (white plains) and i like the song maybe since your from mary land is a reason your not picking up on the song. but to each is own...and it ranked number two in new york! bet is in new york. new yorkers like new york. and its not because hes from new york. its hes from new york.... :thumb:
i thought it said "because im from new york" but if it didnt. and it said." i have a hundred guns and clips, hes from new york." it means the same freakin thing! yeah new york is a nice place! i go few times a year. but what does that have to do w/guns and whatnot? im not from maryland. im from okinawa, japan. but like you said. to each his own.but i just cant understand how somebody could like a song sayin stuff like, "iv got a semi auto that spits, next time you talk. hes from new york" (not sure of the exact words but its same thing) you say you were born in new york? were you raised there?or just born there?seems like new york is some kind of dream land of untouchable poeple or something. newyork ego is getting ridiculous. last time i checked, poeple living a hard life held back by the system or whatever, would like to get OUT of the "ghetto" but soon as they do. (im not talking about everyone!just some of those rappers out today) they brag about living hard and falling threw the cracks in the system. its like they support the land of "injustice" they grew up in. i can understand poeple being proud of who they are and appreciate the city for making them who they are. but i wish they would rap about how to make it better or safer. or whatever it takes to help others from living the same hard life. there are artists that DO do that but many dont. but thats just the trend i guess. its obvious that the poeple WANT, to hear this crap because they sell millions.

IMO most of todays rap is stupid. I hate that one song where they are like, geee geee geee, WTF are they saying? and girls like that shi t too :rolleyes: :thumbdown

old school dre and tupac is kinda cool and the fugges with lauren hill and some outkast and nelly. I don't listen to albums just the hit songs.

or maybe its a huge marketing scam? if it is. its a damn good idea. rap + money + pride + newyork = mad play time AT LEAST in new york.and theres alota poeple in ny man! even if it was a one hit wonder. mills in the pocket because you included new york. :confused: i suppose "ruining hip hop" like that other guy said is one way to get out of the "ghetto" :rolleyes: and thats another thing that bothers me. the projects arnt the fawkin ghetto. the closest place you will see REAL GHETTO is in mexico. send some of them "hard ass rappers" to the ghetto in brazil.lets see how far screaming new york will get you.LOL.sorry. i dont mean to make fun. i know poeple go threw some really hard times. OMG

4ged4G63 said:
IMO most of todays rap is stupid. I hate that one song where they are like, geee geee geee, WTF are they saying? and girls like that shi t too :rolleyes: :thumbdown

old school dre and tupac is kinda cool and the fugges with lauren hill and some outkast and nelly. I don't listen to albums just the hit songs.

Agreed x100. All this modern rap is all "y0 i gots money and hoes, and my name is ____________________", and then people go out and give them even more money by buying their albums with no lyrical direction or meaning. :thumbdown

Tupac was the only rapper I liked.

I actually agree with dsmmyth. Tupac all the way. I also like eminem and ludacris a lot, although i wouldn't blast them on the radio or anything like that.

I'm an old fashioned guy now though, I like The Zombies, The Doors, etc. Modern rap has become less of a way of expression (what music is supposed to me) and more of a way for young "rappers" to get rich quick. When rap hit it big, more and more producers began to pick up on any kind of "quick" talent in order to make some money fast. In this confusion, a lot of amateurs who wanted to make it big for the money got a window of opportunity that would not have been open otherwise. In contrast to rappers like Tupac, Biggie, Snoop and Dre (to some extent) who were recognized for representing themselves, these new guys got lucky and picked up quickly due to the rise of hip hop culture and greedy producers. Eminem is on the border of this scene (to me). He started out strong, but seems to be losing his individuality. Maybe his new album will change that, but i don't have strong hopes.

Anyways, this is simply what I feel has happened in the industry, and is in no way based on fact. Either way, it's the reason I listen to "real" music now. The zombies rock. The doors will always rule. Frank Sinatra is forever a classic. Nancy Sinatra owns with her boots (which were made for walking :p ). I've a lukewarm taste for snoop's remix of Riders on the Storm simply for that fact that it shows he has taste for the classics as well (not to mention the original is one of my favorate songs).

i dont know about snoop tho...you heard that new song w/him and the guy from neptunes? "when the feds try to get at you, park it like its hot, park it like its hot" "when a ##### gives you a attitude, pop itlike its hot, pop it like its hot." im not sure of the exact words but i remember they were really stupid.

ryu said:
i dont know about snoop tho...you heard that new song w/him and the guy from neptunes? "when the feds try to get at you, park it like its hot, park it like its hot" "when a ##### gives you a attitude, pop itlike its hot, pop it like its hot." im not sure of the exact words but i remember they were really stupid.

I've never really liked Snoop...that whole clicking of the tongue for the beat is really ghey & annoying. Not to mention how he says 'hot'...so annoying.

Yet, stupid people eat that sh*t up & think it's an awesome song :rolleyes:

"and thats another thing that bothers me. the projects arnt the fawkin ghetto. the closest place you will see REAL GHETTO is in mexico"

I dont know about you but......I've actually been to the projects, and they are "the fawkin ghetto" as you put it. Go walk down Flatbush Ave, or through Harlem, better yet Spanish Harlem, just to name a few. Any time after 10:00pm, and I'd bet you think differently then.

Couldnt get me to do it and Im "6,4 245, the ghetto's in NYC are real. Not as bad as some people say, but worse than most people think. And for the most part all of NYC is safe in the daylight, but when the sun goes down, so does the shit.

Land of the free, home of the whopper

For some reason, "pop" artists don't make albums anymore, they make songs. There are maybe 2 or 3 artists that I consider to make good albums, and that's a shame. I've bought numerous cd's where I'm only able to listen to 1 song because the cd as a whole, sucks. A lot of cd's I buy these days are not rap cds but rock or alternative because they are the ones who actually make a good album.

Well, I'm talking about the older snoop (back with tupac). Anyways, I've never really traveled, so I wouldn't know bad. Here were I live, I know that we've had several students at my High School a few years back that would do the whole "gangstar" thing, carrying guns to school. Drive by's were not as common as in the movies, but have happened. If I remember correctly, a student at my school was gunned down shortly after leaving campus, they walked up to his car and fired into it several times. Admittedly, I thought it was cool to be a part of all this, and got jumped in, and the whole shebang. I got my own gun, got arrested for carrying it, but thankfully never got cocky enough to try and shoot someone. Beyond a few fistfights, and group fights, I still held on to my common sense. I tried to fit in, tried to be cool, and found out it wasn't "cool". It's a shame I couldn't say the same to some other people in my so-called gang.

Several are going to be in jail for some time, lots are drug addicts now. And the only one I keep in touch with now has his own parts shop. It's awkward to see that the whole "gangster for life" mentality we had died away so quickly when real life smacked us in the face. It was never a blaze of guns and glory like I though before joining. I didn't get in it enough to experience gettign shot or stabbed or something to that effect, thankfully, but i did see enough of it to enjoy tupac a lot. It was all just pride, and showing off. Wanting to be a part of such a powerful social effect. The power trip you get from having a gun tucked into your belt. But in a society where everyone else is like that, I guess I can understand why some people feel they HAVe to live life like this, and be on the giving end instead of being the victim. another reason tupac is my favorate rapper. anyways, sorry, for babbling, just that I love music to death :p

I think most of you are comparing a lot of the mainstream crap you here on the radio as being the only rap there is. Most of the stuff out there is crap because it sells. A true person who is in to hip hop looks past that and listens to artist who have a message and theme behind the music... not just a good beat.

1996 and before, Bone Thugs n Harmony, Tupac, DMX, Xzibit (he acctully use to be really good), Easy E, thats the good stuff.

If you listen to the mass produced shit then thats all you'll get. Stop listening to the radio, or subscribe to sirius, or xm. Buy cd's. The hip hop cd's in my car right now that i'm listening to currently are mos def- the new danger, kanye west- college dropout, and Nas- streets disciple. All are great records that I would reccomend, and I am not by nature a hip hopper.

"If you never lived the life then you couldn't relate"

I do a lot of traveling for my job and no matter where I go I don't hesiitate to go to the "ghetto" of those places. One thing you always see is the influence of "hiphop". If you are in belize city or the island of st.maarten you see nyc on shirts and hiphop based products. Some Rap songs are as b.s as some alternative or rock songs. But the song it self is not something I would listen to but lets not put rap as a whole into this. Because I doubt many of the people on this board can say they have more then just rock,rap or whatever the case may be in their cd case.

Jeeesh can anything else be said besides the fact that rap is garbage or its ruining our kids minds LOL. Rap is as good or bad as spending your whole day watching violence or letting your child play grand theft auto 10 hours a day. this whole rap chit to me is doodoo lets look at music as a whole and then lets have a good discussion.

WOW...its SO funny someone made a thread about this song. I was clowning it Friday night at this party and everyone agreed with me. Ja Rule is TRYING to sound badass with his corny raspy voice and its just not working anymore..it was barely working 4 years ago :rolleyes: . If you listen to some Eminem and G-Unit, and then put on some Ja Rule, you really notice the lyrical incompetence this guy and his label have..OF COURSE the song is gonna be number two in New York..he's screaming about the damn city because he has nothing better to rap about..He's just another rich toolbag rapper gone down the shitter.. :laugh:

"If you never lived the life then you couldn't relate"

I do a lot of traveling for my job and no matter where I go I don't hesiitate to go to the "ghetto" of those places. One thing you always see is the influence of "hiphop". If you are in belize city or the island of st.maarten you see nyc on shirts and hiphop based products. Some Rap songs are as b.s as some alternative or rock songs. But the song it self is not something I would listen to but lets not put rap as a whole into this. Because I doubt many of the people on this board can say they have more then just rock,rap or whatever the case may be in their cd case.

Jeeesh can anything else be said besides the fact that rap is garbage or its ruining our kids minds LOL. Rap is as good or bad as spending your whole day watching violence or letting your child play grand theft auto 10 hours a day. this whole rap chit to me is doodoo lets look at music as a whole and then lets have a good discussion.

FutureGSXOwner said:
If you listen to some Eminem and G-Unit, and then put on some Ja Rule, you really notice the lyrical incompetence this guy and his label have..OF COURSE the song is gonna be number two in New York..he's screaming about the damn city because he has nothing better to rap about..He's just another rich toolbag rapper gone down the shitter.. :laugh:

Talking about being from New York > Talking about how big of a mother####in p-i-m-p 50 cent is... :laugh: :p

Tries to blow the dust of his mic and make a new record

-eminem

IMO Ja sucks a fat dangalang, he messed up when he got into F&F movies and started singing bi*** songs. Also messed up by messing with the wrong people, Mr Dre, 50, etc.

ryu said:
this is one more song for the bunch of crappy songs that keep coming out but i thought this one was really REALLY stupid. "iv got a hundred guns and clips, because im from newyawk"......?...... this "im from new york" thing is getting out of hand.how can ignorant music be so popular??? i watch THE TV once in a while and i decided to check out b.e.t.it ranked that song as number 2 or something on the request countdown. its sad really. this culture has cultivated poeple who only care about money and how to get it.so many of those "rappers" care only for the green. and they make money rapping about it. lets just all become a nation of consumers! :thumb: spent 15 years living in a plastic life and only now am i starting to see the fakeness of many things. songs like this only help the problem. packin heat has nothing to do w/being from new york. ja rule sounds like a little kid.i can go on and on so illl just stop. so what do you guys think about the music of today?peace

Ill be the first to say that I CANT STAND JA RULE, but that song is one of the best in hip hop/rap right now, just because your not into the music doesnt mean its stupid. And the song is about being proud of where you are from, about half those guys grew up without half the sh!t you probably have now,

sayin hes form new york is just showing where he is from... Its like sports team, you cheer for your home team unless you jump on another cities bandwagon...or a better example is like being proud that your american but someone saying that your STUPID because your proud about being american....

HipHop/Rap have changed from what it use to be...and though it might not be the same there are some that do appreciate the music like me....on behalf of all hip hop/rap artist I apologize if YOU dont like it :rolleyes: ...

Ja Rule's gone downhill (not that I ever thought he was up there anyway), Snoop use to be pretty good, but now is too commercialized, dre is just there, em is trying to get back in, tupac will always be the best (to me).

All in all, the doors and the zombies will always rock. And tupac will always have a place in my CD rack :p (ahem, or space in my harddrive from downloads...) ;)

Anyways, we all have our own taste. In the end, music has become more of a get rich quick scheme (generalized, of course) and less of a form of expression. Kind of like all the crappy movies that come out. Resident Evil 2? Tomb Raider? please. :laugh:

ryu said:
i go few times a year. but what does that have to do w/guns and whatnot? im not from maryland. im from okinawa, japan.

live in new york then and talk about not seeing guns and not... i lived in staten island for about 6 months with my aunt. try walking down the street with out getting stopped by acouple of haitians with guns asking you where your from... you know nothing about new york and yet your sauming that new york is nice because you visit. and by visit you probably meen 42nd street. and time square. nice place to visit. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back