The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is FWD worth modding???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92tsifwd said:
All I am saying is, people who typicly put down fwds dont know how to drive them to their potential.

People who make broad generalizations typically don't know what they are talking about. ;)

Its also very difficult to tell where someone is getting their information. Some of us actually race our cars while others spend time racing their mouths. To each his own. :laugh:

-Groomz

Groomz said:
People who make broad generalizations typically don't know what they are talking about. ;)

Its also very difficult to tell where someone is getting their information. Some of us actually race our cars while others spend time racing their mouths. To each his own. :laugh:

-Groomz

Where did that come from???

And sence (you say) I dont know what I'm talking about and I don't race my car and aparently you do?? Where is your time slip? I did not see one, and your mod list does not consist of anything that would prove you to be smarter than I. Looks to me like you have bunch of hopes and dreams and thats about it???

So who has the fastest AWD drag car in the world...Either DSM or non-DSM? :confused:
Before any of my AWD brothers can pop off at the mouth saying a FWD is not worth midifing. Step up to the plate and give me some Pro Drag racing times. And like I said they better be in the 7's. :rolleyes:

There is my point. The fastest DSM's arent even FWD nor AWD. So is everyone going to start doing RWD conversions :confused: ? Simple fact is for the street AWD has the advantage, on the track RWD's and FWD's are dominating. So since no one can give a time for the AWD's. I would say that YES, YES, and YES the FWD's are worth modding. :dsm:

Any questions?

why does everyone have to try and burn a honda? honda are very fast cars, and they do all motor on pump gas, what most dsm's do with turbo and +91 octane gas... a honda, with a 1.6 liter, can push enough power to get it into the 13's, for next to nothing... I think everyone here that talks bad about honda, needs to race them, all motor, heads up with a DSM.. then we will see whats up..

Have any of you ever been in a DOHC VTEC 1.8 liter turbcharged integra? what about a turbo'd K-series.. you know that a K-series will EASILY make 300 hp on pump gas, all motor.. dont believe me? Go to any honda forum...

Honda's are great cars, and they are super fast, ALL MOTOR.. and ten times faster boosted.. if you know what you are doing.. go race a boosted type-r thats got more than bolt ons with your gst.. enough said

PUT AN END TO HONDA HATING!! haha.. I love DSM, but all the hating on honda is probably from people that have been burnt by teenaged asian kids in LS/Vtec civic HBs that hit mid 13's , and will burn an evo off the line, all motor, 1.8 liter... all motor.. all motor... all motor... pump gas... hahahahah

I know.. I just couldnt help myself... HONDA FOR LIFE!! sorry... it just came out... I wont advocate honda ever again.. LOL

why does everyone have to try and burn a honda? honda are very fast cars, and they do all motor on pump gas, what most dsm's do with turbo and +91 octane gas... a honda, with a 1.6 liter, can push enough power to get it into the 13's, for next to nothing... I think everyone here that talks bad about honda, needs to race them, all motor, heads up with a DSM.. then we will see whats up..

Have any of you ever been in a DOHC VTEC 1.8 liter turbcharged integra? what about a turbo'd K-series.. you know that a K-series will EASILY make 300 hp on pump gas, all motor.. dont believe me? Go to any honda forum...

Honda's are great cars, and they are super fast, ALL MOTOR.. and ten times faster boosted.. if you know what you are doing.. go race a boosted type-r thats got more than bolt ons with your gst.. enough said

PUT AN END TO HONDA HATING!! haha.. I love DSM, but all the hating on honda is probably from people that have been burnt by teenaged asian kids in LS/Vtec civic HBs that hit mid 13's , and will burn an evo off the line, all motor, 1.8 liter... all motor.. all motor... all motor... pump gas... hahahahah

:toobad: :notgood:

hater.. LOL.. you have just never been in a fast one.. what was the first fwd 4 cylinder to hit 10's? honda d series.. SOHC.. all motor.. hitting 10's... you hate on honda simply because there are so many, and to be ignorant to the technology and durability of their product, is just wack.. im sure a few you on here, myself included, has had our ASSES handed to us by some lil dude in a 91 integra... he looks sleeper, then dips hella hard on you with beautiful throttle response and vtec vigor... their technology is dope.. no one else is doing what they are doing all motor in a stock car.. at least not 4 cylinders...

you probably dont see to many hot honda's where you live, but I live in cali, 1 hour away from the bay, and 13 second honda's are a dime a dozen... all motor, effective, reliable, cheap... what is so wrong with this company that every dsm head has to dis them? I am just curious...

If you talk shi+ about honda, then you have never been in a fast one.. plain and simple

I can honestly say I've NEVER been beat by a honda, and I have raced plenty of them. Also, have you ever been to the track? Honda's suck, dude! Consistantly shitty times! I can't believe you think there are a lot of fast hondas out there. :rolleyes: Not to mention that awesome, unmistakable honda "rumble." (10,000 bumble bees inside of a coffee can, WTF?) I went to the track last night and there were probably 15-20 hondas there running. None of them ran better than a mid 8 second 1/8 mile, and most of them ran 9's and 10's. And, fyi, some of them had turbo.

I fuggin hate honda! :notgood:

BTW, to address the original post topic, I hate my fwd.

hater.. LOL.. you have just never been in a fast one.. what was the first fwd 4 cylinder to hit 10's? honda d series.. SOHC.. all motor.. hitting 10's... you hate on honda simply because there are so many, and to be ignorant to the technology and durability of their product, is just wack.. im sure a few you on here, myself included, has had our ASSES handed to us by some lil dude in a 91 integra... he looks sleeper, then dips hella hard on you with beautiful throttle response and vtec vigor... their technology is dope.. no one else is doing what they are doing all motor in a stock car.. at least not 4 cylinders...

you probably dont see to many hot honda's where you live, but I live in cali, 1 hour away from the bay, and 13 second honda's are a dime a dozen... all motor, effective, reliable, cheap... what is so wrong with this company that every dsm head has to dis them? I am just curious...

If you talk shi+ about honda, then you have never been in a fast one.. plain and simple

First 4 cylinder in the 6's? What was that? Hmm... Preety damn sue it wasn't a HonDUH

:thumb:

I don't like honda's simply because they're ugly. I would never mod a hatchback civic, because it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen on wheels, but give me a S2000 and I'll mob it because it looks good, but why drive a honda when you can drive a DSM FTW.

I work on a 10 second honda quite regularly, so there are some very fast ones out there, but a majority of them are just fart cannon equipped pieces of chit.

I have nothing agains't them and actually like tuning them. I like the fact that it doen'st take much to get a civic hatch in the 11's...

Anyway, FWD is worth having and worth modding, just not as fun as AWD!

Just to add this, driver skill plays a huge role in all of this. I personally say meet me on the grocery store parking lot, I'll bring the cones and when you take more than a minute to cross the finish line, don't cry... And I drive a 2g fwd with a 6 bolt and a 14b, running 9psi. That is all I have to say about that matter. FWD is just as viable in anything that isn't a straight line. I can get a ~2.2 or even less 60' with my FWD on all season tires but that doesn't require skill as I find myself in the lanes of a dragstrip once or twice a year, but at an autox event twice or more a month.

Have fun bickering about who is faster in a straight line, I will mod my FWD until I get to the point I want to convert to AWD. I have owned both and love both.

Since this is back from the dead, I'll add my input since I just swapped the car from fwd to awd. First thing you notice is, it defently takes alot more attention to drive a high hp fwd. Even with all the right items (including a real LSD), when you start making good power in a fwd it takes lots of driver input to keep the car going stright. You do get use to it, if you have nothing to compare it to but now driving the awd with the same power is a joke. You could fall asleep & the thing will still go straight LOL

I haven't pushed the limits on the awd yet but the car seems to handle a tonn better even though I thought it handled pretty good before. I do have a new suspension setup & the tires I'm currently running are abit more aggressive but the car seems alot more stable through the corners & you can accelerate much quicker out of the corner. I've taken corners faster then I ever have when the car was fwd & the car still doesn't feel like its at its limits where as before it did.

When I only had fwd, I use to say you can make a fwd basically as good as an awd but now that I've had both, I defently wouldn't go fwd again :sneaky:

Congrats Daren. Sounds like the car is a lot funner to drive now.:thumb:

It's nice to have a comparison (more valid) where the chassis is the exact same one. Has the increased weight negatively affected performance in any way (braking, steering feel, etc)?

FWD's definitely can be made to perform but it takes a lot more in the way of careful planning and tweaking the setup. Drew's RTA car comes to mind. Too bad most of us don't have the means or the dedication to take it to that level.

Anyway, I'm envious.:)

Congrats Daren. Sounds like the car is a lot funner to drive now.:thumb:

It's nice to have a comparison (more valid) where the chassis is the exact same one. Has the increased weight negatively affected performance in any way (braking, steering feel, etc)?

FWD's definitely can be made to perform but it takes a lot more in the way of careful planning and tweaking the setup. Drew's RTA car comes to mind. Too bad most of us don't have the means or the dedication to take it to that level.

Anyway, I'm envious.:)

Haven't really noticed any negatives from the added weight, as its probably only adds about 200 lbs. Our cars are front heavy to start with, so the extra weight in the rear is probably a good thing, as far as handling is concerned. Braking, haven't noticed any difference but I'm running 12.2" rotors & 4 piston Wilwood calipers so my brakes are more then street tires can handle to start with. I'm sure with a stock setup (especially if you kept the fwd brakes) you'd suffer.

Most noticeable difference as far as a downside would have to be fuel economy LOL Currently getting around 30-40 miles less per tank on the same amount of fuel. Also haven't done any high gear pulls but I think the extra drivetrain loss might be noticeable. Though it may be that since the car is so much easier to handle & the new suspension squats much less under acceleration, that the car doesn't feel as quick. I also haven't put a full tune on the car so I'm running richer & have less top end timing, which probably isn't helping either.

Guess I won't have a true comparision until I get the tune done again but I can say I'd defently rather lose abit of power through drivetrain loss to have all the extra grip. As I can always just turn up the boost to compensate ;)

Currently running 15psi 1st, 20psi 2nd & 25psi 3rd & up. No tire spin as of yet :D

FWD is great for my wifes daily driver.
AWD will kill 99% of the same setup FWD'rs. (in drag race)you cats know this. now shut up. besides,if we wanted to play highway kings, we would of bought
supras.:thumb:

i know im a bit late but...believe me, if i had the cash to throw around like that, i'd say f**k the supra and import an r32 then mod the piss outta that for the highway...buuuut, i make min wage and i'm bound by my very limited cash flow.

that being said, i've had my car for just a little over a year and have spent about $4500 in maintenance/restoration on top of the $2100 (TT&L) price i paid for my car. i plan to spend about $5000 over this next year for just for my gs-t swap and suspension setup, as soon as i get my n/t 4g63 in worry free condition (that'll be no later than next month)

i know im a bit late but...believe me, if i had the cash to throw around like that, i'd say f**k the supra and import an r32 then mod the piss outta that for the highway...buuuut, i make min wage and i'm bound by my very limited cash flow.

that being said, i've had my car for just a little over a year and have spent about $4500 in maintenance/restoration on top of the $2100 (TT&L) price i paid for my car. i plan to spend about $5000 over this next year for just for my gs-t swap and suspension setup, as soon as i get my n/t 4g63 in worry free condition (that'll be no later than next month)

One might consider buying a good conditioned fwd tsi.

As you are making minimum wage, and have very little cash flow.

$11,500 estimated spent on a non turbo 1st gen, with an engine swap. I would sit down and adjust the grand scheme.

imo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back