The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Is a little boost leakage acceptable,,??????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBS90TURBO

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2002
Tulsa, Oklahoma
A few weeks ago I installed a ported 2g mani and ported my O2 and turbo housing, I also installed one of the big thick SS steel 7cm gaskets between them.

Well the other day I did a boost leak test and saw that I have a leak at 25psi on the turbo itself(I know it's odd), that is the only leak I could hear at the time, yesterday I took a bottle of soap water and sprayed all over and #1, I could see little bubbles coming from the bolt that blocks where my EGT probe will go,#2, Bubbles where the exhaust manifold and the Turbo housing connect,#3, Bubbles where the Turbo and the O2 housings connect,,Not a ton of bubbles, but still some means air is leaking...

The car seems to run good, with lots of boost/power, I thought I was using good gaskets, should I use a high heat gasket sealant also?

Those would be exhaust leaks for starters, which doesn't make much of an effect on performance unless they are really bad.

The ones before the turbo you will want to get more than the other ones, but the thing is: I think those were soap bubbles most likely.

If there was compressed air in the exhaust manifold, lots of air would be coming out the whole exhaust. So you would have to be running a constant lot of air through the engine to see that.

Also, air can't get to the exhaust if the engine isn't moving unless both the intake and exhaust valves are open..

So all in all I'd say you have some soap bubbles and you are fine.

good deduction, i would have never thought about that :thumb:

BOBS - 25 psi seems a little low to me for checking boost leaks. I usually run 35-40 psi through her and she hisses like a mofo if there's a leak

When you check for a boost leak are you supposed to put an air gauge on the leak tester to see how much psi you have pumped into it or do you just look at the boost gauge? Sorry to jack the thread I just didn't wan't to start another boost leak thread.

Thanks,
Brian

blcknspo0ln said:
the air compressor i use has its own gauge

The amount coming out of the regulator rarely matches the manifold pressure. Use the boost gauge.

he is correct, i am a custom painter, and have to have the right psi at paint gun...so i would know about loss in line pressure. and i also do the same method of boost leak testing, (use to use a bike tire pump) and there is a loss in the 25ft comp hose, my gauge on compressor usually says about 35 and that related to about 20 on the boost gauge...

Ok thanks I think I will do another one today with an air compressor. I have tried it a few times before with a bike pump but I could never get the gauge to go up past about two psi.

Thanks,
Brian

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back