The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Is a high mileage GSX worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Neal

Probationary Member
Jun 17, 2021
Stafford, Virginia
I found a GSX with 187k miles on for $4500. i'm ready to jump on it but i don't know if it's worth it or not. It has some fender damage and strut tower rust. What do you guys think?

I think this is a relative question that kinda depends on you. If you’re mechanically inclined and you can handle all the maintenance and other issues that might pop up, then I wouldn’t worry about miles too much as long as the body is in good condition(with strut tower rust, that’s not a great start). Remember this can be $1k+ of more money added into the price of the car.

Or maybe you’re a paint shop tech and you can fix the damaged fender and faded paint and stuff but not sure you can do a timing belt.

My 1g was “running and driving” with 250k miles on it. Ive never put a mile on it because I had to tear it all apart bc it had an oil supply failure. I only paid $600 for it, but over the past two years with all the parts I’ve collected plus the labor I’m about to have to perform at some point, I could have gotten one of those perfect $8k examples and be enjoying it right now.

I wouldn’t really recommend a DSM (especially as a daily) to anyone who has to pay someone else to do the work for them.

Motors can be rebuilt, everything can be rebuilt...but rust is a real problem. Maybe try to find a non running one with no rust and then just do an easy low budget engine rebuild and you have a car that is basically new

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back