The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Is a 1.8 DL worth upgrading?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axtualize

Probationary Member
May 9, 2014
Fredericktown, Ohio
I have a 1.8 DL 1994 eagle talon FWD. I want to know how much is possible with upgrading it. Do I need an engine swap to run a turbo? What are some good ways to increase horsepower? It has a full body kit so and some work put into the cosmetics so I don't want to have to buy a different talon. If you guys could let me know what to do with my situation that would be great, I just really want a legit sick talon.

I also put a new clutch on this, is there a pilot bearing?

With an NA engine, bolt-on parts won't gain much power at all. Intake and exhaust is the most I'd bother with. Swapping in the 4g63 turbo engine would also be an option. However, you don't need a different engine to run boost. Any engine can be fitted with a turbo and supporting parts. The 4g37 can use a turbo/mainfold from the 4g32 turbo Colt/Mirage. More info here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/37967-turbo-4g37-1-8-sohc-faq.html

And no, there is no pilot bearing.

You can also swap in a 4g64 motor from a Galant and have a stronger stroker! GL

Thanks guys appreciate the info. So If I do an engine swap what else would I have to modify to handle that? And is it possible to make it a awd? I just want one talon to focus on to dump some money into and I want to and this one might be it, especially if the body looks good and is one of a kind.

Thing about the 4G37 is that it's so choked up that it's not the best breathing motor around.

I remember that post from DSMTalk which it did have picts of a 4G37 that was well converted to turbo.

The user put a lot of moolah in that DSM and made a sweet little turbo street screamer out of it.

Course, it couldn't match the power of the 4G63 since the prior motor is only a SOHC setup (like the 4G55B Turbo motor that was in the late '80's Conquest. That 2.6L was a SOHC motor, but mustered out close to 160HP on a 10lb boost), yet, it was in its league of performance builds.

-DSM

You would get huge power from a stroker Galant 4g64 engine $200, no crank walk issues, bolt on a 4g63 head $150 and a Mits Big 16g turbo $500. All these can be found for little cash. Your powertrain would need upgraded to handle power and can usually find a AWD shell with powertrain for around $1000. I planned to build exactly as above, but missed AWD shell with blown motor by $100 bid on eBay. Would've been fun!

You would get huge power from a stroker Galant 4g64 engine $200, no crank walk issues, bolt on a 4g63 head $150 and a Mits Big 16g turbo $500. All these can be found for little cash. Your powertrain would need upgraded to handle power and can usually find a AWD shell with powertrain for around $1000. I planned to build exactly as above, but missed AWD shell with blown motor by $100 bid on eBay. Would've been fun!

LOL , how does this have anything to do with upgrading a 1.8L? You Just told him to buy another car and swap another engine into it :ohdamn:

The 1.8 came with a 4G37 rated at a whopping 92 horsepower. As far as making more power, you can do an intake (not sure if Weapon R still makes it, or you can just cut up the aircan and put in a K&N), exhaust (any 1G FWD exhaust will fit), and advance the timing and use premium fuel. Unorthodox used to make an underdrive pulley, but not sure that they do anymore.

Your best bet, if your dead set on keeping the car and making more power, is an engine swap.

Okay, the engine swap is probably what I will be focused on for now. But how much would it be to make it awd and what parts would I need?

So I am going to buy a 4g63 engine, anything I should know about before I purchase one? What does it need to be to work with my 94?

Okay, the engine swap is probably what I will be focused on for now. But how much would it be to make it awd and what parts would I need?

You will never make that car awd. It doesn't just bolt together like a 2g. It involves a bunch of fabrication.

LOL , how does this have anything to do with upgrading a 1.8L? You Just told him to buy another car and swap another engine into it :ohdamn:

Before you start poking at others post, try READING his posts...
Do I need an engine swap to run a turbo?

He also asked what it would take to convert to AWD.
So If I do an engine swap what else would I have to modify to handle that? And is it possible to make it a awd?

Someone with all your posts should have something better to do than be a troll posting insults... :hmm:

If you were suggesting that he buy an awd shell to swap out the drive train that would not work, he has a 1g so as bryanwheat said it's not a bolt in affair. He also stated that he wanted to keep his original shell because of the body work done to it so for the ops purpose an awd shell wouldn't be of any use.

There was three basic chassis models for the 1G line:

"D-21" was the FWD chassis line. This line used both the NT 4G37 and the NT 4G63 motor
"D-22" was the Turbo 4G63 FWD chassis - bit stronger for the heavier F5M33 tranny and 16inch wheels.
"D-29" was the Turbo 4G63 AWD chassis - more stronger for the additional rear end assembly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back