The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Is 400awhp possible without aftermarket internals?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi1991awd

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2008
Puyallup, Washington
As the title says....or are cams, rods and pistons a must? Mods include (and will include within the next month) GT Concepts Evo3 GT turbo, 750cc injectors, AFPR, 255HP Walbro, 2g MAF, Supra SMIC, dejon upper/lower piping, Dejon intake, evo 3 exhaust manifold, PR O2 dump, 3" open DP, ECMLink

Anything is possible. But it would help with at least a set of cams. Personally, your mod setup would not be the way I would go, or have gone for 400 w.h.p. Then again, my goal is quite a bit higher than that. Stock pistons and rods, no problem.

Nice to know its possible even if I dont hit it. 350 to the wheels can be attained with that setup though right? Thats my ultimate goal, even though 400 would be nice.

Its definitely possible, Im making that power on my stock 7-bolt. Like the others have said, looking at your mod list, youll need a bit more. If youre on a budget, I'd say go atleast with a 50 trim, and a FMIC instead of a SMIC. The E316g is definitely capable of 400hp, but from how it looks like you wanna get there, a 50 trim would get you there easier.

I am sure I am in the 400whp ballpark with my mods which can be seen in my profile. You will not make it with those mods though. Cams are a big help. I will try to find a datalog to see what the hp estimate is for my car at 26psi.

Yep, you can either get a set of cams, a huge FMIC and water injection and possibly a sheet metal intake manifold; and then a 16g could give you 400whp. But you couild just go with a bigger turbo (50-trim, fpgreen, hx35, 20g, or bigger) and you could probably reach 400whp with the supra sidemount. Not that I'm encouraging a sidemount location for aftercooling. But 1 turbo costs less than 1 turbo plus cams more cooling and probably a manifold upgrade.

Its not that I am trying to do a "budget build"...its that I dont want to dump money into another turbo after just buying this one a couple months ago. I want to squeeze what I can out of the turbo...if I can get 350 to the wheels on that setup I will be a damn happy man.

There are about a million ways to build 400 w.h.p. Is the O.P. willing to switch turbo's? He's stating whether he needs cams, rods, and or pistons. Yes, no, no. 350 w.h.p., alot more likely with just big ass boost and some high octane.

I am a firm believer in you have to pay to play, if your going to put the money in it why not put the forged internals in as well?

I will try to find a datalog to see what the hp estimate is for my car at 26psi.

The only log I have saved is with 20psi. The hp estimate goes up to 426hp at that boost with my setup. It is in the high 300's most of the run though. I know right now at 26psi it is a considerable amount higher than that, I will see if I can get a log to see what it's at exactly.

Swap out your turbo with at least a 50 trim and add a FMIC rarther than a smic. Cams would def help the cause out though.

Shane

There are about a million ways to build 400 w.h.p. Is the O.P. willing to switch turbo's? He's stating whether he needs cams, rods, and or pistons. Yes, no, no. 350 w.h.p., alot more likely with just big ass boost and some high octane.

Switching turbos is more cost effective. Budget build or not. What ever he wants he'll try to get, but yes he'll need big boost and race gas with cams and probably a smim with his current turbo. He'll have to add water/meth injection to do the same on pumpgas. The question is whether the difference in cost is worth whatever feather he gets. 400whp from a 16g is already proven and done time and time again by guys who built more for later.

OP if you're ok with 350whp, let's not title the thread "Is 400awhp possible without aftermarket internals?" Of course, stock internals can handle that. Steer the thread where you'd like. Just don't get angry when you get there. You'd spend less with a bigger turbo than pushing the evo3 gt with all the other upgrades you'll need.

Definately keep your turbo and try it, if you'll be happy with 350whp. You may be able to get that with stock cams and manifolds. Prepare your car well (pre-turbo piping, tuning, etc.). A good dyno tune is your friend. You'll be paying alot for a good tuner to have at it. . . I'll merely add that a bigger turbo that doesn't spool that much later can do everybit of your goal and probably in the 400whp range with stock cams, manifolds, and a crap tune. These motors REALY, REALLY reaspond to good flowing turbines.

My goal was 350 to the wheels. Thats the direction I was originally taking which is why I have the parts that I do. But I realized as many others have, I am addicted to power. I have it in my head that I want to break into the mid 12s. If i get 350 that will accomplish what I originally wanted to do. In all honesty huge power is going into my Camaro build...but thats strictly track. My Talon is my DD

its possible. I make over 400 on stock internals using 94 and water/meth. Mods are in my profile.

To the OP look into a meth injection kit. Then run some high boost and good timing. 350whp should not be that hard. Im estimated by ecmlink at 405hp and 400lb/tq on my 16g running e85. Turbo is flowing 40lb/min which is the max the 16g pretty much can do. I have a stock 6bolt w/ 2g pistons.

But if you sell the turbo and get an HX35 6/12 blade or at least a 7/12 like others are stating, you will have great spool and will hit your 400whp goal a lot easier. Not to mention with lower intake temps and less chance of detonation. 16g's are knock happy hot air blowers!

My goal was 350 to the wheels. Thats the direction I was originally taking which is why I have the parts that I do. But I realized as many others have, I am addicted to power. I have it in my head that I want to break into the mid 12s. If i get 350 that will accomplish what I originally wanted to do. In all honesty huge power is going into my Camaro build...but thats strictly track. My Talon is my DD

Well, will you fall for it, or will you keep modding your camaro? You can break deep into the 12s with 350whp. A bit of seat time, a decent clutch, and you could see very low 12s.

Gene, the hx35 is already very proven;). I'm sure there will be no pitch. If he researches then he'll see all he needs to see. You can still get them hanging off your head for the same price as a new MHI 16g. The real question is who's made 350+ whp with the evo3 GT turbo?

Gene, the hx35 is already very proven;). I'm sure there will be no pitch. If he researches then he'll see all he needs to see. You can still get them hanging off your head for the same price as a new MHI 16g.

The turbos may compare in price, but actually having it on the car running costs a little more for the hx35

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back