The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Introduction & Fix and Save or Sell this classic '98 street Eclipse Spyder?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnrevel

Probationary Member
Dec 4, 2022
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I was registered in the 2000s here (probably a comcast email I no longer use) and spent much time here to learn to maintain my street Spyder and enjoy the mods talk. My Spyder is street except for an upgraded air cleaner and just had a major repair listed below (Nov 2022). HOWEVER ... the situation from a trusted mechanic's shop was this. The car ran fine after the spark plugs, ETC. fix for one test drive, then stopped and no longer would start. Turns out it's not JUST the spark plugs, etc. but the head gasket and a set of expensive stretch bolts that sell for $100 for each AND we need 10 of 'em. Repair price: $3400. Is it worth it to save the Eclipse?

Details on this car I love and don't want to give up...
Owner of a 1998 Mits Eclipse Spyder:
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Spyder Convertible 2D - Street, no mods except an upgraded air cleaner and maintenance, plus a sound system upgrade.
Classic 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS, 2.4 L SOHC 4 cyl (2351 cc) 16V Sirius 4G64 model engine
5 sp manual transmission
Front Wheel Drive

Maintained with care
* Has a brand new timing belt
* New timing sensors on crankshaft and camshaft
* New spark plugs and wires
* Newer Alpine sound system, bluetooth and microphone
* New rear brakes May 2022
* New master cylinder for clutch May 2022
* New battery 2020
* Stored in Winters
Needs new head gasket, will start but doesn't run without repair.

Is it worth it to save this classic Eclipse Spyder?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok, the current story is that we are proceeding with a fix by the "2nd Opinion" shop as they first shop and 2nd shop ended up talking to each other. The 1st shop guy, the jobs manager insisted that low coolant was a problem, when in fact we had another shop in town locally reengineer the coolant tank to fix it (as they are impossible to find in working order). That coolant tank repair took care of an expensive fix the 1st shop was recommending (head gasket). Bear in mind this is also the shop that quoted us $100 per bolt for 10 stretch bolts for a head gasket repair.

The 2nd opinion shop (in another town some miles away) said the timing belt was indeed off, and that they had it running except for the timing issue. We've asked them to go ahead and fix it and we'll see. They have a trusted tech working on it who has been with them a very long time. So I'm hopeful and will report back.

It has NOT ever overheated. No lights have come on, no coolant leak in our garage, esp. noticing after the coolant tank repair.

Last edited:
The first thing that caught my eye is new timing belt. It seems obvious the shop screwed it up. They should fix it. No charge. Assuming you trust them to do so. Small claims court cases happen this way.

The shop is trying to sell you some BS talking about "100 dollar stretch bolts". The head gasket does require replacement of the head bolts which stretch and should be replaced, but they aren't even close to 100 each. A set shouldn't hardly be over 100. I would steer clear and never go back there.

This is a link to the headbolts for your car... a full set for 30 bucks. Granted shops to mark up parts so I could see up to 150 for the set, but 100 per bolt is crossing the line from a mark up to a scam IMO.

I would also demand the 1st shop give your money back for the timing belt repair that the 2nd shop had to do. If they won't hopefully you have time and money for small claims court. This shop deserves to be sued.

I’m with the rest of the class, not only did the first shop royally screw up on the timing job, they’re now trying to take you for a fool to make a bunch more money off of you while covering what it would cost for the machine work and such that now needs to be done because of their error.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back