The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Introducing Myself and my 79k Mile TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidLifeCriTSIs

Proven Member
Mar 22, 2021
Salina, Kansas
Hello!

Back after 15 years. I had my first TSI AWD when I was 18 back in 2006. I joined DSMtuners back then as the first forum I ever used. I mostly blew the car up and broke things as a typical teenager with a TSI AWD would likely do. First $1000 I saved and spent was redoing the head gasket in that car. I ended up selling the car in 2008 or so when I had my first kid. I also owned an Auto TSI AWD and a Spyder GST in the 06-08 period.

Well a few weeks ago I found a sweet 1995 TSI AWD entirely stock with under 80k miles on it. The add said that the engine has a knock and was immediately shut off, towed home, and not turned over since. Talked to my wife in a half joking manor about buying it and fixing it up being a dream. Like being 18 again and no worries in the world besides premium gas being 4 dollars a gallon.

"Why don't you buy it?"

"Well it costs 3000 dollars and it doesn't even start, I would need to completely rebuild it and that would cost thousands more."

"So lets do it if its your dream."

Fast forward to today. Here I am typing this post about to drive 1900 miles to pick up a car I have never seen, for 3 grand, that I cant even drive. 4 days from today I begin my journey of either great triumph or terrible regret and bring her home. Assuming the worst. Spun bearings, pistons exploded, all the valves bent.

I can not express in words the level of fear, anticipation, and excitement that I am feeling now.

All I know, is I am back.

Mid-life-criTSIs

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good luck :thumb:

I bought my Eclipse from over 2,000 miles away without seeing it in person back in July 2019 and have driven it a grand total of 168 miles since then. :D

The engine wasn't as bad off as that one, but the car still needs a lot of work that I chip away at as I get time and money.

Mine isn't the turbo model or anything, but it is almost completely rust free, and I love it- and that, I think, is the key. It's not so bad if you love it, and you aren't relying on it to be your daily driver. Because in the end, a project like this will take a fair amount of patience, time and money (but what hobby doesn't?). It can be a really enjoyable journey though, and a lot of fun if you let it. :)

Depending on your goals, some parts might be really hard to source and may take a while to find. But this site is an incredible resource, and I have found the classifieds section very helpful in finding some great, hard to find parts.

Good luck with your car and enjoy the journey! :thumb: Excited for you man :applause:

Last edited:
Once i get the car home Sunday ill start a build thread! For now im working on my 20 foot Carport/garage addition and getting my truck/trailer ready for the 1900 mile trip! Will be lots of decisions to be made and questions to be asked! I am sure these forums will prove invaluable in my pursuit of happiness.

Good luck :thumb:

I bought my Eclipse from over 2,000 miles away without seeing it in person back in July 2019 and have driven it a grand total of 168 miles since then. :D

The engine wasn't as bad off as that one, but the car still needs a lot of work that I chip away at as I get time and money.

Mine isn't the turbo model or anything, but it is almost completely rust free, and I love it- and that, I think, is the key. It's not so bad if you love it, and you aren't relying on it to be your daily driver. Because in the end, a project like this will take a fair amount of patience, time and money (but what hobby doesn't?). It can be a really enjoyable journey though, and a lot of fun if you let it. :)

Depending on your goals, some parts might be really hard to source and may take a while to find. But this site is an incredible resource, and I have found the classifieds section very helpful in finding some great, hard to find parts.

Good luck with your car and enjoy the journey! :thumb: Excited for you man :applause:
Youre for sure right its not as bad if you love it LOL

Welcome. I've got a '92 TSi AWD manual that I've been restoring, that has under 78k miles. I'm the original owner too, but I let it kind of go and it sat for over 6 years so it needed a lot of work.

It still needs a bunch of work but I got it street legal a few months ago and now that it's finally warming up I'm about to resume work on it. Folks here have been very helpful (although at times I've probably asked too many questions!).

These are special cars, as you know. Although I've taken a lot of road trips with it, including a very long one the summer I bought it way back when, it's mostly been a daily driver, commuting, shopping, errands, etc.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Well it seems this was really meant to be LOL. Casually scrolling through facebook last night and come across an add for an already machined 7 bolt block, eagle 100mm crank/hbeams and some weisco pistons.

They are not BRAND new but awfully god damn close for the block to be machined already and for the piston/crank/rods at 1/3rd the price. I will be dropping all these parts off at the machine shop to be rechecked and any work needing done to be completed.

Still looking around for bearing/gaskets/oil and water pump/timing kit.

3 Days until the trip to pick it up.

Estimated total cost so far including buying the car and getting it home and then repairing it (rough estimates): $5500

I am feeling less nervous/terrified and more excited.

3 days.

Awesome!! Exciting stuff :D

Once you get the car, you should add your last post to its profile so you can look back and relive that excitement, as well as see the steps you took on your journey. :thumb:

Well boys, after an insanely agonizing and long trip. I have her home. Still on the trailer but its home. I got the stroker crank/rods/pistons safely sealed and stored along with the fresh Block. Not sure if it was the 30 hours of drives in 3 days, or the sheer amount of stress, but I will say I got a little emotional getting out of my truck and seeing the car in my drive way.

I havent event attempted to turn it over. Taking the wife out tonight to go get a good camera/recorder set up so I can document my experience. This will be my last post in the welcome forum.

Build thread and you tube links coming soon :)

Well it seems this was really meant to be LOL. Casually scrolling through facebook last night and come across an add for an already machined 7 bolt block, eagle 100mm crank/hbeams and some weisco pistons.

They are not BRAND new but awfully god damn close for the block to be machined already and for the piston/crank/rods at 1/3rd the price. I will be dropping all these parts off at the machine shop to be rechecked and any work needing done to be completed.

Still looking around for bearing/gaskets/oil and water pump/timing kit.

3 Days until the trip to pick it up.

Estimated total cost so far including buying the car and getting it home and then repairing it (rough estimates): $5500

I am feeling less nervous/terrified and more excited.

3 days.
I should have an extra 7 bolt water pump/timing belt kit laying around. Did you get lots of pictures of the car??

Id be interested in the kit for sure! Have on on my Map performance parts list if we can work something out :) so far everything I have gotten has been second hand :) I have lots of photos and will be starting it up for the first time on video and going along the entire build process with a youtube channel/build log here.

Turns out the guy i got the car from was the original owner in the original city of purchase for the car. He was intently asking me to keep him up to date with picture and info and i figured why not just go all out with it and share the trip start to finish. I have been dying to run out and start it up and see how bad it sounds but im waiting so that i can share :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back