The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Intermittent Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flemswert

Probationary Member
Oct 15, 2016
Soldotna, Alaska
I have a 96 Talon Tsi awd and ive heard it a couple times but there's a noise coming from the engine, it's not grinding or ticking almost a vibration but I fear it's worse. It's only happened a few times, the car doesn't run weird when it's happening but I don't continue to let it run when it does. Everytime I've tried to trouble shoot it it's gone by time I get the hood open. Is it possible to spin a bearing and it go back allowing oil back in the cylinder? I haven't noticed any issues before but it just did it and I turned the car off let it sit a minute cause I'm not at home, when I turned it on it didn't appear to get as much oil pressure as normal (stock gauge) so I shut it off again. I've spun a bearing on a rzr side by side and it was god awful noise, this is not like thst but I'm unfamiliar. I know it's hard to trouble shoot without hearing it, I was gonna take a quick video but it stopped making the noise. Anyone with experience maybe chime in?

So at idle there's very low oil pressure, no lights or anything but when I'm driving it's completely normal. When I stop at a light or stop in general at idle the oil pressure slowly falls back to very low. Any insight? (I dont know if it's been doing this, I know I suck)

Sorry, did not mean to double post. I did it on my phone and after going through the car a little it was still on the post screen so I thought I forgot to click the create thread button. I apologize.
its ok but you must see that not only me will see this as an impatient move on your part. its been done before so we just try to let everyone know to avoid this in future.

Ya no problems. I'm not impatient or in a hurry for the answer. Just figured I'd make a post about it as i didn't see much when searching. Last time I made a post it double posted but at the same time. I dunno if my phone doesn't like the forum or what haha. I'll make sure to try not to do it in the future.

thats ok, Sorry I cannot jump in, I hate giving noise advice unless im with a car, there is just so many things to list so I wont have a guess and get it wrong LOL

I realise it's vague, would the oil pressure possibly be related I guess. It's very intermittent which is a problem also. Can the oil pump make weird noises if it's going bad? here's a pic of oil pressure at idle. No lights or anything either.

Attachments

• IMG_20161108_122730.jpg
    IMG_20161108_122730.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 54
Its a moving part so yes it sure can make a noise, you sure you not just got lifter tick that comes and goes? if a bearing is on its way out on anything it will hang around and not really go and then appear again, your gauge seems fine for warm idle, mines like that aswell, its actually low anyway from memory, maybe 7psi or something around that,

Yeah it's not a lifter tick. My oil pan has a slight leak and I was going to replace that soon as well as the valve cover gasket. Maybe I'll replace the oil pump and timing belt stuff all at once to be sure. I don't drive the car much ATM because I'm still trying to confirm its mechanically sound before adding more power.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back