The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

interior wire harness has been spliced please help me identify what relay this is

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklesmack

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 16, 2009
phoenix, Arizona
Im sorry for some reason it wont let me upload the pic but the relay I am talking about is on the drivers side coming off of therear o2 sensor harness its a 4wire plug previous owner had spliced it with a cheap relay it bugs the hell out of me ### help me im hope if i replace it will fix my mystery misfire

The plug was spliced but it is a relay that was spliced in the wires splits off of the harness next to the rear o2 plug

I thought it was the mpi relay but its only a 4 wire plug

hang on here...so it sounds like there's no actual problem but you noticed the weird wiring job next to the ECU, that is the rear 02 cable? This has actually been discussed on here already, the harness actually comes 'spliced' from the factory, and taped up with appears to usually be green or gray electrical tape, it really comes from the factory this way, it's a series of grounds...seems messed up that they would do it over and over again, on new cars but it's true. hopefully this is what you are refering too...with pictures I could definatley tell but I understand how it is..good luck though I hope this helps.

Pictures. We need them. But 1Gina2G nailed it for the shooty splicing if that's what you're referring to. The relay is where I'm lost though.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[/IMG]

That wire comes out of the same section of the wire harness as the rear o2 sensor wire colors are, green with black stripe - black with yellow stripe and two black with red stripes

Okay well to start off this is deffinatley work that was done by one of your previous owners, nothing appears to be wrong with it from the pictures, assuming the wires are stripped right but he could of atleast taped the ends. the krimp sleeves will work fine for small things like this, and hold the wires alot better then wire-nuts, but soldering is the best method for connecting wires since it eliminates the chance of any power loss...along with welding contacts but thats not for cars..anyways,

Could we get a pic of the actual top of the relay, or where ever there's markings? can't tell if that's a factory relay or some generic piece from a car parts store.

Where was the relay found exactly, next to the ECU wiring or under the drivers seat? under the center console? these are all areas where the rear 02 wiring can be found..

the only thing that comes to mind, is the series of relays that are in the center CD player area, but not positive. I could compare pictures though since my cars also a 95, and my cd player area is open for now.

Last edited:
[/IMG]

The other wire wrapped in tape leads to the o2 sensor

okay so it almost looks like the wires coming from the harness are somewhat smaller then the ones on the relay, depending on the power draw this could be a very bad thing, but it's hard to tell. Also, one of the wires on the harness side is fairly hidden in your pictures, so kind of the same for the relays side of wires, are those 2 bare white wires on the relay side? or different?

for the harness side i see a black/yellow, a green/black connected to a black wire, and a red/black wire from what i can see so far, that's most of the wiring so if it's there i should be able to find it but it's still good to know.

Also, it appears even more work has been done, under your center console. No idea what for, unless something was damaged. I'd honestly go though your whole harness just to get an idea of how much work was done..and on what. not suggesting you rip apart your harness, but just to take a look, if it's not a total rats nest. Visually check if the same color patterns match up, if jumper wires are used to extend the length, make sure they are atleast the same gauge, if not bigger, going smaller is a big no no, things need to be fused accordingly as well, and not overloaded. If things look like they're connected right, just tape up the krimps on both sides, or if you just want to be sure go through and redo the wiring job, after figuring out what's what of course. In a worst case scenario, if your harness is just spliced all over the place, in & out of the car, I'd honestly take out the dash and replace the harness once I found one...wouldn't be worth it to redo everything in a 'fixed' harness. A cupple things really wouldn't be to hard though.

belive it or not I'm fixing to go back out in the garage in just few minutes to get a cupple things out of the way, was going to check all my relays as well as a possible matching pair of wires...I'll post back tonight later when I check it out.

Last edited:
The main wires coming from the console looks like the lighter wires, ( green with black stripe - black with yellow stripe), The only thing that comes to my mind is, they use the relay to heat up the O2 sensor.
Check the O2 sensor wires and see where they go, also check the wiring harness coming from the console (o2 sensor) and see what happens to them, Also check if there is 1 wire (white) that connects from the 02 sensor all the way to the ECU.

More pics of the wiring will help with the mess.

We need to know if the o2 sensor is connected to the ecu or is just connected to the relay.

If you find the factory O2 sensor harness, you can rewire them back to the O2 sensor like it came from the factory and remove the relay.

Let us know what you find out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back