The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Interior sound deadening

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2005
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Will that help to absorbe road ,exhaust noises and vibration,and for music to be abit more cleaner? The reason why im doin this -to have quiet,smooth,comfortable ride....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 380
Yes, that stuff works just fine for improving sound quality. I used something similar on my DD and it actually helps with killing rattle too. It made the entire car seem a little more quiet (as in- less road noise coming in).

Although, the only downside is that stuff sucks in very hot weather. It will begin to melt and fall off of some of the places you put it in. But for the most part it still is a simple, cheap thing to improve your audio quality and eliminate some exterior noise from seeping in. :thumb:

First i cleaned with awesome orange then used rubbing alcohol before applying material. My friend has same stuff in his suv and after 3years nothing peeled off....

I used a similar product and it does work great, I ran a little thicker on the firewall and all the trunk area where the muffler sits. Driving in traffic with windows up I can be on the phone and the other person cannot hear my car. Before I installed it I couldn't make a call, I have a thermal research 3" system BTW.

I doubled in trunk and will double on firewall. Carpet padding will be going on floor and under back seat. My current dsm has nothing no original sound deadener. Body panels are cutted out .just terrible. Previous owner wanted to make a drag car... So when im on a an hour long ride ,im getting headache and no fun to drive at all... So thats why i purchased another dsm and will make a comfortable ride...

Where was that roll purchased at? Whats the price comparison to say Dynomat (expensive)

Currently my 2g with 3" turbo back Thermal exhaust is missing all the hatch carpet and original insulation/sound deadener. This project looks right up my alley... I was thinking of trying to find the hatch cover as well and doing this to the underside of it and seeing if that helps?

I walked around Home Depot yesterday looking for something similar with no luck, but I could have been looking in the wrong places.

WTF Wow... You really went hog wild with the sound deadening... To answer your question: "That'll do it!" :thumb:

edit: I don't know if it will help your music sound cleaner, that's usually up to the source music and the speakers reproduction of it, but you definitely won't be hearing any road noise...

I used tried and true Dynomat as a sub then doubled it in the trunk and firewall. Also have soft undercarpet insulation in trunk area as well as normal carpet and hatch cover. This does however add a lot of weight to the car FYI. Also something you want to check is the coil spring insulators they squeak and transfer vibration as the age.

Have you guys ever heard of lizard skin? It's a great roll or spray on product. It has ceramic in it so it not only works as a sound deadener but blocks heat amazingly well. I have used it on a few cars and it's awesome.

How long has the process taken? Recently I gutted my interior for fiberglass/paint and sound deadening. I have had it gutted for a month now and am looking towards finally deadening it. I've bought the materials, going to be using peel n stick just havent started the project due to working everyday. Curious

How long has the process taken? Recently I gutted my interior for fiberglass/paint and sound deadening. I have had it gutted for a month now and am looking towards finally deadening it. I've bought the materials, going to be using peel n stick just havent started the project due to working everyday. Curious

im workin on it like 3-5 hrs a day not every day. So far i got trunk,the whole back and passenger side done. If ill count hours it will be prob 16....used 5 rolls....

Looking great! Would love to get a more solid sound to car. How many square feet would be a good estimate?

Also, in addition to the lay/roll/ spray on mass adders, you also want to look into acoustic decouplers like closed cell foam (think sleeping mat). Chunks and sheets of a lot of the CCF i will be using can be had at Jo-Ann fabrics stores... OR check out second skin audio's site. LOTS of useful information to be had there, also GOOD product

Depends on how much you use... i could easily have put in 20-30lbs plus into my install.. and its still not quite done.. and that weight does not include weight of wire, foam, speaker rings or enclosures, or the weight of the speakers or the amps... I definitely not be the fastest car around, But it will sound good from inside it, and THAT'S what matters to me. My car, My opinion rules. Same applies to you and yours.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back