The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Interior Lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dsm4g63gst3

Probationary Member
Jun 14, 2006
South Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I just got another 1g its a 1991 GST, But when i close the doors the interior lights dont shut off which leads to my battery draining over night, Im wondering what controls the interior lights from coming on and off?

I assume you can turn the light off manually, correct?

I would imagine that it's a bad door switch. These get old and corroded, and can stick. In the case of my car, the driver's side door switch got stuck in the "closed" (off) position, so my light never came on....but it looks like your problem is probably just the opposite of mine. Give the door switch a good cleaning - rust and crap can get built up in there, causing it to quit working correctly.

Failing that, I will look at my diagrams and figure out other possibilities. The door light, foot lights, key illumination light, door ajar dash light, and hatch light all run off of the same fuse, so I doubt it's a wiring problem in your case.

alrite man thanks ill check it out, well on all of my dsm's (4) i have that issue where the passengers side door dont trigger off the lights for my interior

i tryed cleaning them out and still the same thing, but i have noticed that my trunk light dosent work any more also some other things i noticed is when i open my trunk door now my light on my dash dosent lite up and tell me that one of the doors is open. The only time it lites up is when i open up the drivers side door or passengers side.

Starting to sound more like a wiring issue.

All the things you listed run on the same circuit. Since your dome light is coming on, it's not a blown fuse, though (which would be fuse #19, by the way).

I pulled up the wiring diagram for the area you're having problems with. Everything on this circuit is as follows:

Dome Light, Ignition Key Illumination Light, Foot Light, Glove Compartment Light, Luggage Compartment Light (i.e. hatch light)

There is a dome light relay. Its job is to control the "dimming" effect of the light when you close the door. I've never heard of a bad relay causing the light to stay on constantly, but I believe it could be a possibility if some wires got crossed somewhere along the line (someone correct me if I'm wrong though).

I've attached a pic of its location as well. It might be worth checking out (unless someone can confirm that this wouldn't be a viable cause for this problem).

Remove the relay and hook it up with a test light to your battery (as shown in the pic). Look for the following (this is taken straight from the manual):

Check that the test light comes on when connected as
shown by the solid line. Then check that the test light dims
out for approx. 6 seconds when the 4th terminal is
disconnected. Moreover, check that the test light goes out
instantaneously when the 2nd terminal is connected at this
time (while the test light is dimming).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back