1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Interesting Story. READ!

Posted by Lofty, Jan 28, 2010

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Feal Suspension
  1. Lofty

Lofty Moderator

Joined Jul 27, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Alrighty so here's my story of tonight.
    I was driving around in my buddies 3kgt Vr4 and we pull up to a gas station after going to Vatozone. It's friggin 10 degrees out here. Cold as ass. So we're filling up, and I see a black 94 Turbo talon roll up. Looks real minty. He parks, steps out, and I notice he's a real old guy, I'd say 50 or so. He runs inside, grabs his cigarettes, and comes out. I stop him, I tell him nice car. He got really excited and started talking. This is some of the things he said to me.
    "I used to be a Mitsu tech back in 87, I had this car since it was brand new. I've had so many of these cars it's not funny. I had 4 GVR4s and... and.. I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOU KIDS THESE DAYS, you're giving away dsm parts for practically free. I bought a.. (He said like F- mach or something, I dunno, he was a fast talker) for 600$ back in the 90's, also boost controllers and everything was so expensive, now you kids give them all away for free. My sh** is worth NOTHING now."
    I had asked him if he knew any of the locals
    He said; "Yeah I do, I don't go on those forum sh** things anymore, I used to be an editor for MDSOG" ( I think he said that) I asked him what it was and he said Mitsubishi Diamond Star Organization. He then said this "Do you know a man named Buschur? I remember he wrote me a letter back in the 90's saying something about how he just got this talon and what not, and that he knew they could make 300 horse, but he wasn't sure how they did that. I wrote him back with 5 paragraphs telling him how to make them fast and hopped up (I loved his slang terms, haha) Do you know Jack? Jacks transmissions? Yeah? I built his first transmission. OH YEAH, THE STYLIST FOR THE 2G WAS A POMPUS PIG, I WORKED WITH HIM." (The old Talon man had me laughing real hard by this point) Then a man rolls up, gets out of his car, and goes "Nice to see the DSMs are out and about."
    I started talking to this man now, he says this.
    "Yeah, I have a 2g on jackstands right now, It makes 700 horse. I also build transmissions."
    I was like.. Wait whats your name?
    Tim, He said.
    I was like OMG TIM ZIMMER (twicks) HI!!! I'm Lofty!

That was my story of the night. I liked talking to old mitsu man about things. Tim was real nice too. Old mitsu man later told me his name was Pete, and he worked for Harley now. :nono:

Figured I'd share with you guys, I thought this was the best DSM meet I've been too..... LOL

803  0

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    manual · Galant VR-4
  2. BigBeans

BigBeans Proven Member

Joined Aug 16, 2009
    I am in, Rhode Island
    :thumb:

Good stuff, were you shivering the entire time?

3. Lofty

Lofty Moderator

Joined Jul 27, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Yeah, but being Graced by two awesome people kept me warm enough.

Hahaa. I'm glad someone else enjoyed this as much as I did.

803  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  4. LiquidX

LiquidX DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 19, 2008
    Anywhere, Pennsylvania
    Thats pretty awesome Lofty! You should see if he can get any black 2g interior parts LOL Not to mention have him get on this site.

Street Build 2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  5. Rob10_99

Rob10_99 Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2005
    Ptown, Arizona
    Yeah those "hey look there's another one" sightings and it turns into something like that, awesome!

1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    29.320 @ 55.000 · 2G DSM
  6. MrBoxx

MrBoxx Moderator

Joined Aug 19, 2005
    Midland, Michigan
    Did you hug him too?

7. Lofty

Lofty Moderator

Joined Jul 27, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    No, don't get jealous. You're the only of the Mods/Wisemen I've hugged.

<3

803  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  8. PIMking

PIMking Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2008
    tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Lofty shivering? Hell that kid waist is smaller than one of my thighs. Hes cold when its 90* outside.

9. MrBoxx

MrBoxx Moderator

Joined Aug 19, 2005
    Midland, Michigan
    Damn straight. Better stay that way.

10. cabbageman97

cabbageman97 Proven Member

Joined Aug 20, 2009
    Eldersburg, Maryland
    Aw isn't that just precious ROFL.
    Hell I thought it was cold here in MD WTF
    Great story though.
    I probably would have sh** myself.

261  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    · 2G DSM
  11. GSTOMPN

GSTOMPN Proven Member

Joined Jan 22, 2006
    Chino Hills, California
    Nice story...:cool:

284  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  12. FenixTX717

FenixTX717 Proven Member

Joined Oct 10, 2004
    k-town, Wisconsin
    Real nice Lofty! Lol Tim Zimmer is a great guy though!

372  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    13.100 @ 113.990 · 2G DSM
  13. brownfinger

brownfinger Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2008
    Normal, Illinois
    Are you sure you didn't halucinate any of this, Lofty? Are there any witnesses?;)

Street Build 787  0

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM

678  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  14. Auto RS T

Auto RS T Proven Member

Joined Nov 15, 2002
    Norwalk, Ohio
    Cool story, I've met a bunch of people from the boards, but never ran into them like that at random. The weird part about it is that 3 DSMr's showed up at the station at once. Does this mean I should give Boxx a hug next time I see him?

Street Build 906  4

1992 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    10.952 @ 125.27 · 1G DSM

787  17

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.104 @ 118.450 · 1G DSM
  15. stevestevesteve

stevestevesteve Proven Member

Joined Mar 20, 2009
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Haha, how did I know you were going to post this Lofty... :D Travis texted me and told me. "Gues who we just met...." and he said "Tim". Hah I was life WTF OMFG! I wish I was there.... It was at Quick Trip correct? I would like to talk to tim, and learn some of his history and his encounters with the 2g designer.

577  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  16. Flash

Flash Proven Member

Joined Nov 30, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    And you didn't snap a group photo?

2K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  17. byebyev8

byebyev8 Proven Member

Joined Jun 17, 2004
    kenosha, Wisconsin
    Yea its always nice to meet old school dsmer's. There's a older guy in my town with a super clean built 90gsx he also bought the car brand new. He use to work on rally cars, he actually helped me and my buddy out alot when we were 16 and first getting into dsm's.

18. MrBoxx

MrBoxx Moderator

Joined Aug 19, 2005
    Midland, Michigan
    You had your chance. :D

19. Evil_speedracer

Evil_speedracer Proven Member

Joined Sep 10, 2007
    Aurora, Colorado
    How funny, neat story indeed!

I have been gone a while...just noticed that Lofty got a turbo! Right on dood!

20. Lofty

Lofty Moderator

Joined Jul 27, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    :thumb:

There's pics in the hangout of it somewhere.....

803  0

manual · Galant VR-4
  21. brownfinger

brownfinger Proven Member

Joined Aug 26, 2008
    Normal, Illinois
    When I first reads this, it struck me how old dudes are pissed about how much this info cost them 15 years ago, and how now it's free. No duh. Same as everything else. But still , they have a point. It was only about a year ago when I saw the light; Our cars are worthless. You couldn't trick a moron into buying our old DSMs. It's a 20 year-old car. Who the hell would be willing to pay for it? It's not even a Honda! I'd be lucky to get a grand for my old car. That's when I knew I was in love forever. That old guy has a point...we are throwing away our stuff for free. But it's not 'cause we don't know what we have...It's just that no-one is willing to pay for it...So more power to us. No one will know what's happenning to them. I love that feeling in your head when you're in a car that's hitting over 15psi of boost; like your ears are floating off of your head, like no one else knows the world is about to explode...

All in a car that I bought for less than $1200

Street Build 787  0

1991 Plymouth Laser N/T
    manual · 1G DSM

678  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 1G DSM
  22. my dreamt dsm

my dreamt dsm Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2007
    Somewhere In, California
    I know who Mr. Honda is. But who's Tim? lOL

23. dave99gst

dave99gst DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 8, 2002
    plymouth, Michigan
    Great story

24. GRAVEDIGGER

GRAVEDIGGER Proven Member

Joined Nov 26, 2007
    Uniontown, Ohio
    Very cool story indeed Lofty:thumb: Thanks for sharing it with us:D

2K  18

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.149 @ 115.940 · 1G DSM
  25. kp116

kp116 Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2009
    Janesville, Wisconsin
    Very nice story. I also got one of my own. :) Me, Mr. peepers and our buddy J got to spend the whole day today at tim zimmers house while he was rebuilding peepers tranny. It was a amazing time to say the least! Got there around 11:00 am and left probably after 10:00 pm. Learned a ton of sh** I would have never even thought about!!! Tim Zimmer is a really great guy to say the least. He truely cares more about helping out the dsm community than making money off of the great knowledge that he has. If I would have met him before I got a shep trans I would most definitely got a trans built by Tim. If you looking for a basic rebuild or a bullet proof tran especially for the money I HIGHLY recommend having Tim Zimmer help you out! Today was a day I will never forget!