The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Intercooling Problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too much motor movement, cheap clamps, not enough of the coupler on the surface area. These are some culprits of intercooler piping coming off. Where exactly is it coming apart? Make sure you have enough coupler on both the pipes or the pipe and the TB, where ever it is popping off. Do you have Tbolt Clamps? Are your pipes beaded?

The upper pipe, where you mount the blow-out valve at, it slips off. All of the other ones stay on. The clamps on that are the screw type and I couldn't get any pics at the time it happen, because it was too dark outside

factory bov or an aftermarket pipe for the bov? is it beaded? and screw clamps arent the greatest.. try hairspray :)

also beading a pipe will greatly help slip off... have an extra set of vise grips you dont mind messing up?

I think they're all t-clamps on the piping. I triple checked all my couplers espeically the one on the upper pipe and they're all secured. Yeah I'm going to need bead piping or gorilla glue LOL. I was thinking about ordering a new upper pipe, since it's the only one giving me problems.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

In this pic my intercooler looks crooked

That bar in the middle, I think that's what is causing my intercooler to be crooked...should I take it off?

My intake pipe won't stay on my turbo because of my upper intercooler pipe. Should I just buy a new intake pipe? I also dont have a air filter

Well you defiantly have a setup right there. You need to bead the pipes and if you cannot get the tool you can go to a shop that does aluminum welding (assuming you have Al pipes) and just get a bead welded on it.

You need to take a picture of the FMIC straight on and level and you can re mount it. It appears to only be held on my the straps so just adjust it.

What's the brand of the kit as you have?

its ETS and I can safely say this whole setup was from the previous owner, I have to fix this mess he made :hmm:

Its being held on by the straps because I cant fit it correctly, due to the upper pipe location

1st, cut down the intake pipe and get a filter. its hanging way low especially if it is a DD. 2nd take you intercooler and piping apart and start from scratch.

Where do I connect the wastegate hose to, since it was already like that. Im going have to buy a new filter since the car didn't come with one and the pipe isnt fitting because the upper pipe is in the way

Buy an air filter and then take it all apart. There is a write up on here how to install a FMIC on a 1G. Go through that it will help on how to mount the intercooler

The waste gate gets hooked up to a pressure source the same way a BOV is hooked up.

The BOV pressure hose isn't connected to anything either. I just have to connect it myself. Where would you usually connect the bov hose and wastegate hose to and where do I find the setup FMIC for my car?

Both the BOV and wastegate should have their own dedicated preassure source. The BOV should be off of the intake manifold NOT teed into anything. The wastegate would be good from a nipple on the compressor housing, a nipple on the j pipe, or a nipple on the lower piping. Basically closer the better so it operates at the proper boost setting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back