The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

intercooler question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobo2986

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2003
dallas_Tx.
hey guys I was just wondering if it would be benificial to install an indy 2G race core intercooler on my car even though I'm only running on the stock turbo right now?

none. you will have too much pressure loss cause yout puny t-25 wont be able to flow enough cfm for the fmic to charge and you will loose alot of your precious boost. stick with a stock side mount until you get a big 16g or larger then upgrade to a fmic. or do both at a time. but a stock sidemount should be efficient enough up to a 20g turbo. no larger though.

Originally posted by TurboAWD92GSX
none. you will have too much pressure loss cause yout puny t-25 wont be able to flow enough cfm for the fmic to charge and you will loose alot of your precious boost. stick with a stock side mount until you get a big 16g or larger then upgrade to a fmic. or do both at a time. but a stock sidemount should be efficient enough up to a 20g turbo. no larger though.

Seriously Manny, That is the biggest pile of horseshit I have ever seen. the whole post is fiulled with idiocy

You cannot have to much intercooling. Get it. You'll lose a few hundred RPM but nothing to worry about, you will gain power. Intercoolers are not good up to a certain size turbo. More is always better.

My friends both have fmic one is on the stock 14b, the other on a 16g and they both agree it was the best mod, and the biggest gain in power so far.

yeah what does

yout puny t-25 wont be able to flow enough cfm for the fmic to charge and you will loose alot of your precious boost

actually mean? Fmics charge things?

What piping are you gonna be using. I'm not sure if you can use Indy Race Core's piping with a stock turbo. It would be benificial but if your looking to buy it, then I suggest you spend your money elsewhere. Such as upgraded turbo.........ect....ect...

You obviously are going to get mixed opinions on this. Everyone thinks they know but no one really knows for sure.

IMHO its not worth upgrading to a FMIC until youve upgraded the turbo unless your going to upgrade in the next month or so :)

alright thanks guys, I was just wondering because the summers here get so hot and money for me is scarce so I can't ubgrade both right now and I wanted to be able to cool the air during this summer. But thanks agian guys for the reply's :thumb:

I have a fair understanding about mechanicals, but there are some things about turbocharging I'm unclear about. How much does the _volume_ of the intake tract affect things? I understand lag, I understand the compressor heating the intake, I understand getting some of that back with an intercooler (both density and intake temperatures). But did Mits put little dinky intake piping on for some good reason?

I used a stock 1g smic on a tdo6 20G for about 2 months. Worked fne, was prolly running 12.9's....obviously not optimal but I would upgrade the turbo first. A turbo is alot of power. A stock side mount is not optimal on a 14B ;). I ran about 15 psi all day, never got very bad heat soak.

Imagine trying to fill your swimming pool at the same rate through a garden hose and a fire hose using the same pump. The pump will be forced to make ALOT of pressure on the smaller hose to create the same water flow into the pool. Thats pressure drop. The pump working harder to create a given water flow. Our turbos will work the exact same way. It may have to spin 110k RPM to make 20 PSI at 6000 RPM, when you upgrade the IC and piping, at 110k it may make 24 PSI at 110k....Now you realize why you were getting so much knock! You were heating the air up enough to make 24 psi on pump gas, the cooling it down poorly! Now you have much more air pressure for a given turbo outlet air temp, AND you have better intercooling.

Yes, Intercoolers do alot. When I went to a full 2.5 inch system on my 20g from the stock crap, I got very good power gains. Alot of it was the piping.

Also, a larger pipe has less surface area for its interior volume. This means even less friction with air, not even thinking about the restriction of high pressures I was referring to earlier. Thats why your 3 inch exhaust is louder with same same muffler.

And rubber IC piping....Thats going to take alot of energy from expansion. And any lost energy in your IC system will make its way back to your turbo in the form of pressure drop.

Originally posted by bobo2986
alright thanks guys, I was just wondering because the summers here get so hot and money for me is scarce so I can't ubgrade both right now and I wanted to be able to cool the air during this summer. But thanks agian guys for the reply's :thumb:

Well, remember, at a given boost level a bigger turbo blows colder air then a smaller turbo. So a bigger turbo does the same thing as a smaller turbo with a bigger IC....PLUS you have a less restrictive exhaust side. Big turbo.

Unlessyour thinking of something stupid, like a 16g. Then just get vinyl graphics and a big wing :O. Im kidding, 16g's are cute.

Originally posted by ItsStockOfficer

Well, remember, at a given boost level a bigger turbo blows colder air then a smaller turbo. So a bigger turbo does the same thing as a smaller turbo with a bigger IC....PLUS you have a less restrictive exhaust side. Big turbo.

Unlessyour thinking of something stupid, like a 16g. Then just get vinyl graphics and a big wing :O. Im kidding, 16g's are cute.

haha well I was planning on getting a ballbearing mitsu-garret turbo with a 50trim, and thank you very much for your commets they have truely helped me alot :thumb:

I think I'm just going to buy it from the shop that would be installing it, This is the website of the local shop that does work specifically on DSM's and actually knows what they are doing http://shopctc.site.yahoo.net/babemidire.html , this link will also take you to the turbo I want and the "sale price" listed on that page is with your choice of trim

Interesting, just like the new PTE turbos, but they are 400 dollars over priced. LOL. And install your own turbo, its not rocket science.

Interesting, just like the new PTE turbos, but they are 400 dollars over priced. LOL. And install your own turbo, its not rocket science.

I know it's not rocket science but I am also going to get them to dyno tune it once I have it all installed so I might as well just have it at the shop in the first place. Depending how much they want to install it of course. But this step is not going to happen for me any time soon, I need $$$ :(

except that the pte's arent dual ball bearing. some of them have the gt wheels but not the bearings .thats a good price for a DBB turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back