The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

intercooler piping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero2sixty

Probationary Member
Apr 20, 2003
IndianaUS
I have a 90' gsx with a frankenstein stage 2 turbo, 550cc injectors, 255lb fuel pump, sparco front mount, 3in downpipe, safc, profec-b and a o2housingwith a tial on it.

my question is about the intercooler piping. Doues it matter if you use a metal piping kit or can i build me a metal piping to fit it or can i use hard ruuber. i wanna go cheap but i still wanna have the performance?:confused: :thumb:

I assume you're talking about buying it from a company pre-made or making it yourself. I'd look around to see if anyone sells a kit that will work with your FMIC on a 1g and how much it's going to run you. If it's too pricey for your liking, but some 180 bends (easier to cut to angle you need) and some straight pipe and start fabbing one.

I would use metal since it shouldn't be that hard to get a hold of or expensive. Most of your money will be in welding and rubber connectors so the system will have some play in it vibration-wise.

it woulb be more trouble then its worth to try and use hard rubber, first u would have to figure a way to make the couplings hole at 20+ psi, its not as easy as weldong a little bead on a metal pipe when ur using rubber, secondly when ur engine temps get up there and ur turbo gets hot that rubber is going to start to melt, this can never be good, it will either lose its shape and restrict airflow, melt to the point where it falls off the turbo or the couplings come loose, or melt a hole in it giving ur a huge boost leak, most of that piping is really close to ur engine and exhaust manifold
if u really want to go cheap go to an exhaust shop and have then cutsom make u some ic piping, a whole exahust usually only costs a few hundred bucks including a muffler, to make a small ammount of ic piping should coast u around a hundred or less, depending on how much hey charge u to mandrel bend it(if u get it mandrel bent, u should)and for that they should bead it for u any everything

Originally posted by Cirus_93TSI
it woulb be more trouble then its worth to try and use hard rubber, first u would have to figure a way to make the couplings hole at 20+ psi, its not as easy as weldong a little bead on a metal pipe when ur using rubber, secondly when ur engine temps get up there and ur turbo gets hot that rubber is going to start to melt, this can never be good, it will either lose its shape and restrict airflow, melt to the point where it falls off the turbo or the couplings come loose, or melt a hole in it giving ur a huge boost leak, most of that piping is really close to ur engine and exhaust manifold
if u really want to go cheap go to an exhaust shop and have then cutsom make u some ic piping, a whole exahust usually only costs a few hundred bucks including a muffler, to make a small ammount of ic piping should coast u around a hundred or less, depending on how much hey charge u to mandrel bend it(if u get it mandrel bent, u should)and for that they should bead it for u any everything
well said.

And if anything in the intake starts getting anywhere near hot enough to start melting rubber -or even getting it warm enough to collapse- you'll be in much worse hurt than intake concerns.

alright so i need to find some metal and i will do it my self except for the upper pipe right:confused: and how wuold i hook it to the turbo just put a piece of metal pipeing on it an connect it with a rubber piece.:confused:

since it is so big will it over heatOMG it is 3 inches thick:confused:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back