The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

intercooler piping

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast97gsx

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 6, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
I just installed my fmic and put the bumper on just to make sure nothing touches ...

19209intercooler-med.jpg

When people say short route piping ... does that refer to the lower AND upper? I can't decide if its easier just to route the upper pipe ( passenger side of intercooler ) through the stock location and just go short route with the lower pipe, or do people reroute both the upper and lower piping so even the upper doesn't go through the stock intercooler location? I'm thinking the intake might cause problems if I try to short route the upper as well..... Any tips?

LOL I hope that post made sense ... basically whats the easiest and most common way people route these pipes? I wanna finish this today!!!

The way mine is shout-routed the upper pipe go from the the TB straight down to the core and the lower pipe routes around the drivers side to the Turbo outlet instead of all the way across the front of the car like the crappy Greddy FMIC.

so I'm guessing you have a U pipe at the outlet on the end tank then have it run under the intake and between the tranny? How thick is your piping? Is there a lot of clearance around it or will it rub against the tranny or something? Thanks.

From what I know if you get a short route piping kit you do not have to take out your bumber support housing type thing so if U get in a accident youwon;t demolisht he front of your car, or well I should say a fender bender or something it will hold up better. Also you will supposedly get a quicker spool up because the distance the air has to travel is shorter. Regular piping may be slightly longer thus the air has a longer area to travel. As for what most people use I am not sure, I know two people that have the short route kit but me and like three or four other people just have the Greddy piping, which is longer. I know that the people that have the short route kit love it. Hope this helps you out...

Originally posted by 1fast97gsx
so I'm guessing you have a U pipe at the outlet on the end tank then have it run under the intake and between the tranny? How thick is your piping? Is there a lot of clearance around it or will it rub against the tranny or something? Thanks.

The piping is 2.5 inches. There's plenty of clearance and it never scrapes on the tranny,ground, or anything.

If I wasn't at work I'd post the pics.

Check his gallery for a few.. L2R's piping is VERY nice. I have always been a fan of AGP work. That TB elbow turning into the cold pipe is awesome :thumb:

505frengine-med.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back