The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

intake manifold removal(replace gasket)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aodioxp

Proven Member
Oct 10, 2012
Columbia, Missouri
I am about to replace the intake manifold gasket. First time doing engine work so I did quite a lot researches.
From What I have searched and the Manual, there are 8 bolts holding the lower intake to the block. 2 more brackets holding the intake.
The problem is, I tried to reach all 8 bolts from top but seems really hard with all the wires and fuel injectors in the way. Do I have to move the fuel line first according to the manual? Or is there an easier way to remove all the eight bolts? and the bolt size?10mm?
About the bracket, I really don't know which it is. Is this black box removable? The intake seems to be bolted to this plastic box, then bolted to the block.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Thanks a lot!

Most engine bolts are either 10mm or 12mm, only a few maybe 14mm. I always remove everything in my way. That eliminates any possible damage and/or braking something you don't want broke. Take the extra time and do it the right way the first time. I hate having to do something twice. It is a lot simpler than what you are reading. Ratchet wrenches are your friend!

Any specific reason why you are changing out the IM gasket?

The black box that's in your way is the vacuum reservoir for the cruise control. There should be a couple brackets that extend off the back of the manifold and engine block that hold that in place. Be gentle as you can as you don't want to rip/damage the vacuum lines attached to it.

If you are just doing the gasket then you don't necessarily have to remove the fuel line but it might help give you some more play to work things around. Just below the throttle body there are 2 small bolts (8mm maybe) that hold the feed line to the rail. Make sure you bleed off any fuel pressure first by depressing the schrader valve on fuel rail. Use a rag to catch excess fuel.

I'd go ahead and remove the throttle body, fuel rail, and injectors and everything. It doesn't take but a few minutes and it'll make the removal and reinstall so much easier.

Thanks guys. Turns out my gasket was torn apart at cylinder 1 and 4. I did not want to tackle with the fuel lines so I went under the car.
Here's what I do to remove it:
1. Jack up car, detach battery and remove 3 13mm nuts off the vacuum box then stick a needle plier behind the top of the box. Pry carefully, use a little force and the box pops off.
2. remove the 2 15mm bolts from the engine block.
3. Once the box is removed, it is rather easy to reach all 8 bolts/nuts under the car. I used a swivel extension. remove 2 nuts and 6 bolts from the intake manifold. nuts are 10mm, 5 bolts are 10mm, 1 bolt is 13mm(the one with engine hanger attached).
4. Remove EGR pipe line. 9mm from the intake manifold.careful with the gasket,save it. I removed throttle body to gain some clearance though.
5. Tap the intake and remove it.

Fixed and now engine idles at 900rpm perfectly!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back