The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Intake Manifold "P" line unplugged

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonGST

Proven Member
Feb 28, 2014
Los Angeles, California
I have been having high ideal that bounces between 1500 and 1000. I thought it might be a vacuum leak after looking it up and checked my lines. For the P.E.A. Lines, "P" has a line but it is loose and not in the "P" slot. What does this line do?

And after looking this up I found a thread saying for 97's there's not a P line and it's closed off. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If there's a p on your throttle it should be plugged or routed like its supposed to, or you will have a vaccum leak. I think the "p" is for the purge control valve or solenoid, and can also be used as a source for a boost gauge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 831
So is there a hole in your TB at the P port? It's hard to tell from the pic, but because there is a vacuum line I would say there is. That's weird that the nipple fell out of the TB and the vacuum line, normally there very tight in the TB.

Just like synthetek said, your P line is not off the TB, that hose either connects to the intake manifold or is for some other part of the evap system. Look at the label on your hood, trace all the hoses and see which one came undone. You can then hook up whatever you need to reconnect all your EVAP lines.

IDK what smog is like in Boston but in California you have to pass a visual and sniffer. Most smog shops will vacuum check those lines and if they are not hooked up right you will fail the smog.

Let us know what you think

Okay thanks for the comments, does anyone that have the same thing as me know where it goes to the intake manifold? I'm looking at http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/intakemanifold.htm and feel like i'll have no idea where to look... But if not i'll just dig around.

And For smog and emissions, my car only has to pass safety in Boston

Checked the diagram on the hood and it's

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167076&d=1398548757

So 100% I need to find a way to put in into the "P" marked hole? Also, what difference does it make for the line to be closed with the screw than put in correctly? I apologize for all the questions I'm just trying to get it set up properly to avoid any real problems.

Thanks!

Someone must have changed your throttle body to a later model. You could replace the throttle body with 95-97 or you could find a place to connect the line to the manifold. The line is for emissions so leaving it the way it is shouldn't affect performance. Its part of the EVAP system, it sends fumes from your gas tank into your engine so it doesn't pollute the air.

OP, do you have a nipple on your intake manifold as synthetek posted with his diagram up above?

if not i would trace it back down the back of the manifold and get a black nipple cap for now and cap it at the metal 3 tubes that come up the back of the intake manifold. synthetek is right, that TB is not for a 97, but 98/99. I would honestly leave your current TB, trace the hose back down a bit and cap the metal line it comes from since you only have to pass safety.

Can you post a picture of where that hose is coming from behind the manifold? If the TB was replaced, someone may have also had all the other hoses routed incorrectly as well.

Ok thanks for all the help. So I can just cap the hole on on intake manifold? It won't cause any issue with the exhaust not going anywhere?

Also i'm a n00b to all this but if I get a boost gauge can I use the P line and just have it go to the gauge sensor? Will that solve the problem?

Also, here is a pic of the lines and where they go

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I took your picture and circled where to cap. Its the metal tube where red line with the screw attaches to.

You shouldnt have an open hole or nipple on your intake manifold because you have a 97 not a 98. The 98 and 99, the red hose / p line was moved from the throttle body to the intake manifold nipple.

For the boost gauge, do not use any of the emissions lines. I have always Tee'd off the far right nipple that comes off the intake manifold. Here is a picture of where I and buddys have used in the past:

Let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions! :)

TurkF26 thank you so much!! I appreciate the help and the detailed pictures, makes things ALOT easier. Last thing though, If I cap it where you say to, what will happen to the exhaust gas? It won't circulate somewhere it's not supposed to and mess anything up if it's capped?

Thanks again for all the help!

TurkF26 thank you so much!! I appreciate the help and the detailed pictures, makes things ALOT easier. Last thing though, If I cap it where you say to, what will happen to the exhaust gas? It won't circulate somewhere it's not supposed to and mess anything up if it's capped?

Thanks again for all the help!

I ripp out all my exhaust components anyways on my DSM's. It will not cause any ill effects at all. They are all just small vacuum lines for emissions reasons.

The A & M lines control the EGR and such. The P line helps with the Charcoal canister below your battery since you have a 1997. If you are really worried about it, I would get a 95-97 throttle body so that you can hook up your P line. Honestly i wouldnt worry to much about it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back