The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Intake manifold opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoYo_4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 5, 2008
Carolina, Puerto_Rico
I have heard and read that the stock 1G IM is good for around 600whp, well i have a magnus v3 smim, i have searched about this im real whp gains and couldn't find anything just piss contests and useless post. My question is this magnus IM, worth so much over the oem? I could sell it foward. Engine is forged, turbo hx40 and GSC S2 cams.

I have heard and read that the stock 1G IM is good for around 600whp, well i have a magnus v3 smim, i have searched about this im real whp gains and couldn't find anything just piss contests and useless post. My question is this magnus IM, worth so much over the oem? I could sell it foward. Engine is forged, turbo hx40 and GSC S2 cams.

Do you have a V3 Cast or a SMIM?

The intake manifold will net you more peak hp and airflow over the stocker. It really all comes down to your preference. You will have more torque across your power band on a stock intake manifold. There are dyno graphs out there to compair smim vs stock. If your trying to get the most out of your hx40 set up and cams then its really the ideal choice. I think its appropriate for your set up. If I were drag racing I would run the magnus intake. Ive use the magnus and home made sheet metal intakes on 9:1 compression and had no complaints about street manners.

If your revving to like 5k maybe or on a bone stock engine. It was designed for guys like you running bigger turbos that rev out to higher rpms. Some guys run them on smaller MHI turbos and claim gains. I do not think they could sell the intake manifold if everyone lost hp and torque. It is pretty much ideal for your set up. If you like how your car drives with it I wouldn't change it. People have been going to the cast ones because of the better results and newer design but yours is not hurting your car any. With that said people have been into the 9s and maybe faster on a stock intake manifold. I would not change it imo.

what are your goals ???

drag racing and 450-600awhp

If your revving to like 5k maybe or on a bone stock engine. It was designed for guys like you running bigger turbos that rev out to higher rpms. Some guys run them on smaller MHI turbos and claim gains. I do not think they could sell the intake manifold if everyone lost hp and torque. It is pretty much ideal for your set up. If you like how your car drives with it I wouldn't change it. People have been going to the cast ones because of the better results and newer design but yours is not hurting your car any. With that said people have been into the 9s and maybe faster on a stock intake manifold. I would not change it imo.

thanks it makes sense btw i currently have the oem, i haven't used the magnus thats why i'm asking if its worth to do the change.

O my bad I thought it was on there. Heres a thought, They are easy enough to change and gaskets are cheap unless you have a resuable one. Why not try it out and see how you like it. The only thing thats a pain is the battery clearance to the intake which can be solved by using a honda half battery or relocation. I dunno if everyone has this issue but I did. Try it out see how you like it and dont scratch it up too much. If you dont like it you can always post it for sale.

Yep run em both see what u like better, theres only a few bolts you gatta undo. Get to it and let us know how it turns out.
Most likley you will make more hp on the smim that a no brainer. :p

The fact is that there's no straight answer. On some setups you might only pick up 10whp going to the Magnus, and on others you might pick up 60whp. It's just going to depend on how much of a limiting factor the OEM manifold is.

That said, there are quite a number of folks that have pushed WELL into the 600's (WHP wise) on a stock 1g manifold. Those are the sorts of setups that would likely pick up the most power from the Magnus swap.

Ok! i think i'm going to bolt the magnus and try it. What about the Q45 throttle street driveability?

I'm on stock manifold but looking to upgrade. The v3 isnthe cast (you said v3 smim) the only magnus smims are the street and race.

I was also wondering which tb would be best to go with. Willson, 5.0 ford, q45, s90

My biggest thing was keeping a stock like throttle cable.

Primarily, you pick a manifold to compliment the part of the rev-range you plan to make power in. If you are not running past 6500-7000rpm there are better places to spend the money.

Primarily, you pick a manifold to compliment the part of the rev-range you plan to make power in. If you are not running past 6500-7000rpm there are better places to spend the money.

I already bought month ago that IM at a good cheap price and yes the rpm range will be over 8000.

Then just put on the smim and call it a day.. The q45 is a perfectly fine throttle body.. hell it came off another car so i dont see why you think it wouldnt be functional to use to drive.

Quote:

Super simplified: Runner length is matched to a harmonic vs. RPM range. Then plenum volume is picked based on displacement and VE at the RPM range the runners were picked for.

Ahhh I see, thanks for the response.

if anyone needs the q45 tb let me know, i'm going to use a ford tb

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back