The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Intake Manifold Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilmore

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2010
Bronx, New_York
So my 420a is on the shop getting an aftermarket intake manifold. the manifold was purchased from eBay.

My mechanic said that the manifold I have doesn't have an adater and explained we don't really need it but the bad is that my check engine light is going to be on. what can I do if I want to take off the check engine light?

What adapter does it not have?
Ooo oo, let me guess.

Let' see E Bay = OBX. Therefore its a shiney, chrome Venom knock-off.

And since its a Venom knock-off, it has no provisions for an EGR.

That information, coupled with the statement by the mechanic that "you don't really need it" leads us to the concusion of the EGR "adapter".

How'd I do?

MB

Of course I hope he's not talking about the map, LOL.

I think bullettdsm is on to something. Two ways to fix that:
A- reinstall factory manny
B- buy manny with adapter

Boom! Lights out.

I really wish you guys would research before you go out and buy something... Everything mark said is exactly what I thought when I read the OP's statement. I don't get why people waste there money on the OBX considering the other 2 options.

Ooo oo, let me guess.

That information, coupled with the statement by the mechanic that "you don't really need it" leads us to the concusion of the EGR "adapter".

How'd I do?

MB

Of course I hope he's not talking about the map, LOL.

Wow Bullet, you should be a detective or something. LOL.
Would've never thought to connect dots like that.

Bullettdsm is exactly correct.

I learned my lesson. OBX, never again. So now the manifold went on perfectly with the new TB I got for it but the check engine light is on.

And now the OBX cam gears aren't working correctly. I need to fk something up.

It would be a bit helpful to find out what the check engine light is for. I mean... if the guy leaves a sensor off because there's no spot for it then obviously you'll have a check engine light. Also if there's a vacuum leak that's large enough then a "target idle can't be reached" code will be set.

Additional information about the check engine light could help iron out the final details needed to point you in the right direction.

It would be a bit helpful to find out what the check engine light is for.

Hmm, Doug, I thought the OP confirmed that the cel was for the EGR;

Bullettdsm is exactly correct.
Also, did I miss something about a vac leak?

Also if there's a vacuum leak that's large enough then a "target idle can't be reached" code will be set.

MB

Hmm, Doug, I thought the OP confirmed that the cel was for the EGR;

Also, did I miss something about a vac leak?

MB

I didn't see a mention of a "P" code that definitively indicated that the CEL was EGR related. If there's no provision for the EGR tube then obviously an EGR code will set but there's no way to know that there are not other codes as well.

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs but it just looks like it was an assumption that the issue was EGR and only EGR.

As for the "vac leak" I was giving an example of other issues that can arise from working with an intake manifold replacement. Again this is where finding out if there are other codes would make it clear as to the extent of the CEL condition.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back