The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Intake Manifold comparison. Jmf street vs ported cyclone.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just thought I would add a note that 9 volts might be too low to let a 12v Li-ion battery go, based on some checking I did today with an HTC cell phone, which has a 1 cell Li-ion battery. I ran it down to the point where it shut itself off, took the battery out, measured the voltage with a Fluke 87, it was right around 3.60 volts. So apparently HTC thinks this is as low as they want to let it go.

On the way down I pulled the battery out to measure it at each of the 3 warning messages that came up:
15% message = 3.78 volts
10% message = 3.75 volts
5% message = 3.72 volts

total shut down = 3.59 volts

So for a 12v battery, that would be 10.8 volts.

KT, it will be very cool if that JMF has a good low end and midrange as well as top end!

After the dyno results are in, you should test the difference between the jmf street and jmf drag ;).

How much faster does it revv up top through the top end of the power band compared to the cyclone?

These results are going to influence my manifold choice for sure :thumb:

After the dyno results are in, you should test the difference between the jmf street and jmf drag ;).

How much faster does it revv up top through the top end of the power band compared to the cyclone?

These results are going to influence my manifold choice for sure :thumb:

Well I am trying to stay as close to street as possible I would love to test the drag but just not mentally prepared for the back and forth swapping LOL. Its hard to say being front wheel drive how fast the revs move in the upper Torque steer have me keeping my eyes on the road. The dyno will answer a whole lot of questions for sure.:cool:

Okay been login fuel usage on jmf street vs cyclone. On cyclone I could get 300 miles on tank of e85 before fill up with jmf street that number has fallen to 276 total miles roughly a 10 percent loss but car pull pretty good in normal driving circumstances. Just an update on fuel usage.

Well yesterday I was glad I had a full size battery in the car. I stupidly forgot to tighten a clamp on an intercooler pipe and it blew off. Was downstream from the MAF so engine would not run. Busy street. Pulled car with the starter for 100 feet or so to get it parked on a nearby side street.
No sweat for the 110 minute Reserve Capacity battery in the car with plenty left over for restart after reassembly. Not so sure what would have happened with a small battery.

Okay went to the dyno today and a few very interesting things happened I will post later. But here is a 3rd gear pull with the Jmf manifold installed this pull is at 31psi opposed to the 34 psi Of the ported cyclone. I moved the reve limit to 8500 rpm , it was previously set at 8300rpm. The power band on the car is just plain sick and is all you would ask for in a street machine. I will post dyno sheets and explanation a little later!. the jmf maxed out my fuel system at 31 psi therefore boost could not be turn up any further!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's the dyno sheet boost @ 31psi Jmf. Seems that everything is on par for a nice comparison once I get the fuel upgraded so that a fair overlay can be posted. You may notice there's no shortage of down low power! fuel got as lean as .93 lamda and totally collapse around 7000rpm. loosing my tach signal around peak torque gives the appearance that the manifold made less torque than cyclone but to my surprise both manifolds was on par same power different boost levels jmf 3psi of boost less.

Last edited:
Okay here is an overlay of a full cyclone pull @34psi red lines vs Jmf street @31psi blue line fuel issues with the jmf started around 7000 rpm as you can see there's a lot of potential up top with this jmf street manifold I will update the thread as soon as I hit the dyno with the fuel Torque signal loss gives appearance that torque is down but that really is not the case fuel upgrades coming

Just means you need to hog out that Cyclone even more :cool:
Well I think the ported cyclone served its purpose and it shows that its really hogged out already to be on the same level as a reputable sheet metal intake manifold. I think when its said and done and with the fuel , the JMF street manifold is going to be a beast! Thus far I am very impressed with it and the torque that it has saved down low. I am running a wider than normal lobe separation angle on these small BC 272 cam which helps low end power a lot! I was concern that going for 700whp would mean sacrificing a ton of low end of my daily driver but it seems that to my surprise that is not be the case. I am going to push these bc272s as close to 700whp as I can get! I think with 35psi and more fuel and with the enhancement of the jmf street ,700 is very achievable and possibly with 600lbs of torque to go with it. All a guessing game at the moment but its gonna be close. Stay tuned!:D

Last edited:
Sarcasm. But this does show that most guys jump to bigger parts when they are not needed. Guys wanna go 9s and think they need drag manifolds to do it. I know personally I did it with the jmf street. It is a great mani.

Sarcasm. But this does show that most guys jump to bigger parts when they are not needed. Guys wanna go 9s and think they need drag manifolds to do it. I know personally I did it with the jmf street. It is a great mani.
You speak with wisdom and I agree with you and when I am finished the jmf street it will definitely be a real contender when considering a manifold upgrade! I am really am feeling this manifold!

Last edited:
Jeez I finally found where they put the user's car profile section. They sure buried it.
Nice going KT - significant I think with 3 psi less boost and failing fuel.
Thanks, Boost I can say this , I smell blood!" I will say it again this manifold is right on par with what JMF says about it being a 30 to 40 hp increase over stock with the added benefit of power not dropping off in the upper rpm!:thumb:

What about the Magnus cast hehe? Seriously though, if I could ever get my hands on the JDM AC compressor to go with it so I could keep my AC, I would do a Cyclone in a heartbeat!
I here ya! As far as the magnus cast I would test it but just too expensive for my blood!

What about the Magnus cast hehe? Seriously though, if I could ever get my hands on the JDM AC compressor to go with it so I could keep my AC, I would do a Cyclone in a heartbeat!
I have the cyclone and still have my stock A/C just had to use and modify a 1g manifold brace to work with it all.

Kels how is the fuel upgrade coming should make an interesting difference. This JMF mani seems to be the truth!!

Dang, BC272 kick ass. It definitely help the turbo spools up too. Did not drop off at 8K either

I was thinkg about upgrading my BC272 but i don't see a reason now.
Yeah most negative rep on the bc272 cams comes from the competition. I love them because they are small enough to widen the lobe separation angle to achieve stock like idle some cams are just so big that this can't be achieved .

Last edited:
I have the cyclone and still have my stock A/C just had to use and modify a 1g manifold brace to work with it all.

Kels how is the fuel upgrade coming should make an interesting difference. This JMF mani seems to be the truth!!
Its coming along just slowly fine brother!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back