The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Insurance [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Originally posted by Liquid Illusion
Insurance company's will only pay for after-market parts under two circumstances. If you have after-market equipment coverage or if you have itemized receipts for the parts on the vehicle.

What can you possibly have done to your car that cost 25K my supra made 702whp and i only spent just over 18k. If they are offering you 20K for your totaled dsm. You better take that 20K and run, is there a lien on the car still?
I didn't have equipment coverage but I did give them itemized receipts. I'm sure they are not paying for all my aftermarket stuff even though I gave them receipts for everything. 25k can sure adds up quick. There are plenty of dsms on here that spent close to what I have. Sure you can build a dsm for alot less and go faster but I didnt want to do it the cheap way. All my parts I bought brand new. Also have other stuff done to it besides just the stuff that makes it go fast. There is no lien on the car either.

Originally posted by PsSsShTGSX
no mario!!!!!!!!!!! id part out what ya can and replace it.

-chris
That's what I wanna do, but don't want to get in trouble for it. So I'm asking what others have done in this similar situation.

Same thing happened except for my roommates car was stolen then recovered and dropped off at our house. We took it ALL off and didn't replace it with shit. Not only do they NOT know what they are looking for but they don't even look. If it were me and the very MOST i woudl do is replace only some of the stuff with the stock stuff from that spyder then salvage and sell teh rest of the dope parts (I have seen that car...)
Take the 20k and say thanks with a grin on your face; then proceed to making a 500whp awd spyder :cool:

I was just wondering what I might run insurance wise if I get an Eclipse GSX. I'm 17, have had my license for about 8 months...no accidents, tickets, etc. I'm on my parents policy with Allstate...currently pay 126 a month just for liability for my 1988 VW Golf :cry: ...no honor role...Anyone have an idea on monthly iinsurance payments?

I have a 90 GS-T and im 18, ive had my license for almost 2 years, in that 2 years, ive had about 100 speeding tickets, and probably 300 others, 2 misdemeanors for street racing and 7 other tickets that go along with it, and an accident, my insurance for my 90 Eclipse with a 20G is 1500 a year on my parents policy, so i dont think itll be much much more for you, dont worry about it, just take courses to reduce your premium :dsm:

Youre young and having a hi-performance car like that will cost you in insurance.

I am 29, own a '00 C5 and '98 GSX, clean driving record, comprehensive insurance and live in California with the cars garaged

$1000.00 for the GSX with a $250 deductible

Just goto your insurance agent and ask! that's what I always do, tell him or his secretary to print out a possible policy. I always do that and so does my brother. When he was last looking for a car he had them print out like 7 different policies for 7 different cars. Just to give him an idea of what would be the best option.

^^^^^what he said, it only takes a few minutes, best way to tell what the cost will be. There are to many factors to get a correct answer here. State, City, County, Trerritory Code, your parents prior history, your school grades(yes it does help if you are a good student), etc.

ckozlgod said:
Just goto your insurance agent and ask! that's what I always do, tell him or his secretary to print out a possible policy. I always do that and so does my brother. When he was last looking for a car he had them print out like 7 different policies for 7 different cars. Just to give him an idea of what would be the best option.

I definitely second that.
If your only doing liability then the car doesn't matter much.
My turbo TSI was cheaper to insure then my crappy old commuting cavy because it had dual airbags and antilock brakes (actually doesn't but whos counting). Many places dont know or even care whether its a esi/tsi gs/gst etc. My insurance agent sure didn't and said there was no difference between esi/tsi in my case. Whether or not you have full coverage and the state your in will matter though.

1995 TSI AWD Full Coverage with Statefarm I pay $238 a month.
-Rob

My insurance agent sucks. She always is like..."I need the VIN# to give you a quote". I'm also gonna have to have full coverage because I'll be getting like a 5 - 7k loan to get the car in the first place. I have a feeling it's gonna be like 250 a month or more...while my friend who is only like 3 months older than me, has 3 pts., 1 accident, and not even honor roll, only pays 140 a month for full coverage on a 2004 350z and he's got the same agent as me...

SniperXr2 said:
1995 TSI AWD Full Coverage with Statefarm I pay $238 a month.
-Rob

Holy Cow! How many accidents or tickets have you had? are you 18?

reminds me of when i totalled 3 cars when i was 17. I bought a 98 GS and my insurance was 250 a month.

Now that im 21, those came off of my premium, im older, and i drive a cheap pos talon. Im paying 90 with just liability, no collision.

JRaptor2000 said:
My insurance agent sucks. She always is like..."I need the VIN# to give you a quote". I'm also gonna have to have full coverage because I'll be getting like a 5 - 7k loan to get the car in the first place. I have a feeling it's gonna be like 250 a month or more...while my friend who is only like 3 months older than me, has 3 pts., 1 accident, and not even honor roll, only pays 140 a month for full coverage on a 2004 350z and he's got the same agent as me...

That sounds very wrong. Is your friend on your parents policy? under his parents name?
I find it very hard to believe its only 140 a month on a 04 350z.

Ok here's my payment...

Gieko - $220 for the Talon ALONE.
first my history of tickets:
1 improper look out (caused a wreck)
2 failure to yields
1 speed contest
This is in 3 years of driving...at this point Gieko (thankfully) booted me from my parent's insurance and I went to All State.

Since then I've gotten 1 speed contest...and it currently costs me $200 for TWO vehicles a 87 Corolla and the 95 Talon AWD. The Talon is FULL COVERAGE, and the corolla is LIABILITY.

I have only had a couple of speeding tickets a passing in a no passing and thats about it, and I pay 130$ for god damn liability, they wanted 3K for 6 months full coverage ####ing robbery is what it is. I am 22 :mad:

I've gotten a two speeding tickets and several other dumb "let me harrass this citizen for petty shit" tickets. I'm 19 and under my parents insurance plan and I pay 230 dollars a month on Liberty Mutual. I think if you're gonna drive a Turbo 2G and your young, you better be prepared to shell out the bucks.

It sucks how a couple of terrible teenage drivers ruin it for the rest of us young drivers. For example, my friend just wrecked his brand new Audi TT Quattro. It's like how the hell do you wreck your car that you've had for less than a year? Is it too much to ask to drive like a sane person?

TheTSiGuy said:
Holy Cow! How many accidents or tickets have you had? are you 18?

reminds me of when i totalled 3 cars when i was 17. I bought a 98 GS and my insurance was 250 a month.

Now that im 21, those came off of my premium, im older, and i drive a cheap pos talon. Im paying 90 with just liability, no collision.

I have had my license for 2 years, I am only 18. Perfect record so far, no accidents or anything that the insurence company knows about, someone side swiped me, but they gave me money out of pocket so insurence didnt get involved. the $238 is with a $250 deductable(sp) so I dont think it is too bad. Actually having AWD made if $15 cheaper a month than a TSI. :D
-Rob

The main things they look at our your age, driving record, what kind of car, insurance is typically higher for males because statistically males are more likely to speed, which i think is BS because woman speed and drive crazy just as much. So if your a teenage male, with a sports car their gonna nail you. it also depends on what insurance company you go through, also, do good in school LOL :thumb:

Mine is just about $100/month for a 99 gst. I am 19 and it is insured by my parents with me as primary by some Farm insurane. (state,farmers,something) If I told Farm I was moving to Chicago they would double it, those bastards. Anytime your in a city insurance is aweful. Im keepin it on the parental suburbian insurance. They can pretend I still live there. :shhh:

Ghost1984 said:
The main things they look at our your age, driving record, what kind of car, insurance is typically higher for males because statistically males are more likely to speed, which i think is BS because woman speed and drive crazy just as much. So if your a teenage male, with a sports car their gonna nail you. it also depends on what insurance company you go through, also, do good in school LOL :thumb:

That should be sexist, Women always bi*** about how they want = rights. Well I say lets give it to them. The thing is they only want the good parts of mens rights and none of the bad. Well I say they want = rights that means everything is = no matter what. Statistically men are more likely to speed is bull shit. There are shitty women drivers and shitty men drivers thats all there is to it. I think a studdy of 1k people and saying men are more likely to speed is bull. look at how many people there are in this world. Statistical studies like that are a waste of tax payers money

im in almost the same spot as you. 18, had license for 8 months. clean driving record. no honor role. The insurance is based on age more then the car. A 97 gsx was 232 a month. a 95 supra was 268, and my 1990 loyale is 200. I hope that helps ya. (the supra was just to show the high end of the spectrum)

Yea, all the accidents my friends have been in have actually been caused by women except for 1. us men are excellent drivers (except for those select few that you might as well call women). we only get into accidents because we bend the aspects of reality and take things as far as they can go. i pay 126 a month for a crappy golf and i'll prolly end up payin 240 for an eclipse. it's not really a big deal cuz i make the money to pay it easily...but i wanna be able to get the hell outta my parents house asap so i gotta budget.

Not all women are bad driver's you should see my girlfriend drive. God Damn that women can drive like no other. She can make my eclipse drift with out using the ebrake...the 1st time she did that my jaw dropped. I was like were did you learn to do that "I learned from the best.. ;) " I was like I cant even do that except one wet roads.....the she proceded to touch my leg and we drove home at a hi rate of speed...did not make it home but what ever.. :D :cool:

heh, my golf sucks man...we set up a slalom course a couple days ago in a parking lot and every turn the golf came up on 3 wheels. i felt like i was gonna flip the p.o.s. i need something that i want to lower and that's turbo. not sure if i want a gsx or gs-t though....

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back