The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Insurance [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That's another thing, I have heard many people say to buy a Talon.
I will tell you what I want in a car and then you guys tell me whether to go with the GSX or the Talon.

I want from a stop type races, like say at a stoplight or something.
I will not be autocrossing much.
I will drive fast and plan on modding pretty extensively.
I want turbo
I don't want to pay a million dollars.
And I want a car that looks nice, I like how the ecipses look, how close it the look of the talon to the look of the eclipse?

Thanks for sorting this all out. OMG

I live in Brooklyn NYC, had a car accident 2 years ago out of state. Insurance companies quoted me for over $6000 a year. I'm 20 years old turning 21 in 6 months. Had my licenses for 2 years and no speeding tickets. I'm still trying to get insurance for my car right now... Its funny that I can afford the car but not insurance. Especially with #@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@%#@% insurance companies in NYC, nobody wants to insure me since I'm under 21 and I never bought insurance under my name. How the hell do they expect people to start insuring their cars than? Just plain stupid.

288 a month, one ticket 20yrs old. Stay away from GEICO. Those bastard wanted me too pay 5000 a year and told me some bullshit that you won't find a better price with your record(riiight).

Dear lord you guys pay out the nose. I pay 45 bux a month for 2 cars. 1990 GSX and 1990 Toyota Celica. Of course I live in Pennsylvania not CA. I'm also 25 so that probably makes a big difference.

i am 20 with 6 points i pay 60 a month its like 800 something a month. and i live in jersey

hey niknuk where do you get your insurance at? i take it you only got limited on your cars right?

I just got a quote to insure my car (93 Eclipse GS) and its going to cost me around $2000 every 6 months. And quite frankly, I have no idea where its going to come from, because I am 16 and don't have a job yet. I just don't understand how a I have to pay the worth of this 10 year old car every year.:mad:, I could be spending 4G's on my car a year and just risking that I won't wreck. And my car could be hella nice with 4G's a year. Insurance is ridiculous. The End.

yeah im with geico. i 3 of those points are contribution to an accident.. i keep telling my dad i wanna switch cause they will bend you over and #@%#@%#@%#@% you in the ass if you have an accident on your record.. but he wants to "wait" it out..

Originally posted by RegulatorDSM
That's another thing, I have heard many people say to buy a Talon.
I will tell you what I want in a car and then you guys tell me whether to go with the GSX or the Talon.

I want from a stop type races, like say at a stoplight or something.
I will not be autocrossing much.
I will drive fast and plan on modding pretty extensively.
I want turbo
I don't want to pay a million dollars.
And I want a car that looks nice, I like how the ecipses look, how close it the look of the talon to the look of the eclipse?

Thanks for sorting this all out. OMG

An eclipse and a talon are THE SAME CAR. GST=TSi and GSX=Tsi AWD either one is turbo. as long as you get gst, gsx, tsi or tsi awd

well, i will agree i think of all the stuff i could do to my car if it weren't for the bills. well you didn't say anything about paying for your car though.. at least you don't have that bill! I have insurance, then a 200$ car payment every month + other bills ( unrealated to car ). I tell ya what i did after i bought my eclipse, bought a car that the BB value on is about 5 bucks,(cavalier) got rated on that and one of my parents got rated on the eclipse.. i guess i was just lucky for that though.

im 17 and i was in tghe same boat you are in... frankly the only way your going to get away with insurance is tro go on your parents policy with NO collision on your car and take the risk if you ever hit someone, the insurance pays for the other drivers cost but you are for all intents and purposes screwed. i own a 95 GS and pay 1500 a year with no collision, but i am also a B student, got driving school certification and ive been driving a year with no accidents/tickets.

food for thought i guess.

when i was 17 i had a 1985 monte carlo ss and i paid 5000.00 a year in insurance so do not complain, yes it is high but if you get tickets and drive like an ass then expect it to go higher. insurance is bu@#sh#% but it is a part of life which when you are older can you afford to get real sporty cars. did ya ever wonder why you see the old men in corvettes ? they can finally afford the insurance on them

Herei s the part where you hate me.

Just turned 18. 1992 Talon TSI AWD for $68 a month. About $411 every 6 months on the car. One ticket (4 points for having my lights off coming out of a walmart :mad: ) but it should be gone by now off my record. I'm pretty sure I'm using State Farm (if not then it is All State).

AS for Geico, **** them. I hate them with a passion. For my first car, a 1995 Mazda MX-3 (105 HP) they quoted me for $120 a month and I could have delt with that. I bought the car and went up to their offices to pay the isnurance...and low and behold they had me listed as a GIRL! So I ask them what was my REAL quote...it suddenly went from 120 a month to 184 a month. Needless to say me and my dad were pretty pissed and started looking around for another company. We decided to back out of our 6 month plan with Geico and payed them t emoney for the insurance we used (about a months worth) but they wanted the FULL 6 months worth. We threatened legal action, they tod us we couldn't get a better deal elsewhere, yatta yatta yatta.... Took us 2 days to find a place that gave me FULL INSURANCE for $84 a month.

Bottom line: SCREW GEICO.

I pay $100/month for my 93 Laser RS with 1 speeding ticket and 2 small fender-benders.

I just turned 22 and I pay $220/mo for my 2001 Sentra SE... Because the youth law only applies to one vehicle, as long as I keep my 99 GSX as a secondary pleasure vehicle I only pay $98/mo. Not bad but still not cheap! I guess I shoulda slowed down more back in the day OMG

quik question . . . might sound like a dumb question if this is an obvioius answer. But which attracts higher insurance rates..the gst or gsx/tsi because of the awd?

thanx

There're two main reasons why the turbo'ed rates are higher

1. More horsepower
2. Less crash survivability

Since the two cars are virtually the same, it would really be up to the insurance company. My GSX is whopping $2 cheaper to insure than a GS-T! :laugh:

I think it is categorized in the same group so i dont think it makes much of different in term of insurance between T and X.

i only pay $420 every 6 months thats full coveage, with special stereo coverage and almost no deductable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back