The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Insurance for a 16 y/o?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pennsylvaniadweller

Probationary Member
Nov 21, 2022
Canonsburg, Pennsylvania
Just looking for an estimate on the insurance for a 90' 1g talon tsi awd.
I know premiums are variable on a LOT of things, just looking for a ball-park estimate so I can budget.

I am 16, and I live in PA.
Thanks.

I haven’t been your age in about 17 years and prices have changed a lot since then, your best bet is to call around and get quotes. You’d probably get the best rate going through your parents insurance company but never hurts to call around and see if you can’t get them to beat the other guys price. Through all state liability on my 1g is $39 bucks a month just to give you an idea, but my car also wasn’t a turbo car from the factory so that helps a little. Mind you I’m 33 and you young guys get hit way harder, but I also don’t have the greatest driving record either (a few speeding tickets over the years, DUI 11 years ago that STILL effects my rates).

It’s a form of legal prejudice but because some very reckless drivers are teens in sports cars, they can assume you are too, and make you pay for the mistakes that others have already made. At your age it will significantly raise the cost of the car, so be prepared. Do call around and get as many quotes as possible. If you ery good grades in school you may get a meaningful discount. (I never would have qualified at 16 but my Son did). Taking driver’s ed should help. Importantly, don’t get speeding tickets, and a dui will basically make you uninsurable.

It’s a form of legal prejudice but because some very reckless drivers are teens in sports cars, they can assume you are too, and make you pay for the mistakes that others have already made. At your age it will significantly raise the cost of the car, so be prepared. Do call around and get as many quotes as possible. If you ery good grades in school you may get a meaningful discount. (I never would have qualified at 16 but my Son did). Taking driver’s ed should help. Importantly, don’t get speeding tickets, and a dui will basically make you uninsurable.
Absolutely correct here, learn from my stupid mistakes. Mind you life is much different now, but me being young and dumb resulted in having to carry an sr22 bond for several years, and when it was all said and done cost me about $170 a month for liability on a Ford Ranger and a 1g dsm until my record cleaned up and things fell off. With that being said now I pay $115 a month for full coverage on a Ford Crown Vic and Freestar minivan (winter time so not paying on my dsm or truck at the moment) which isn’t bad, but had I not been dumb 11 years ago that could be even cheaper.

I insured my kids cars until they were over 22 under my name and they were "occasional" drivers. It saved A BUNCH if you could do that since you are a young man and they will stick it too you because of others. To me, that is "profiling" but it is what most insurance companies do which is why I owned them in my name until they got older and then I transferred the titles over to them. :thumb:

I didn't know any insurance companies would insure a 16 year old. Now maybe things have changed but when I was 16 I had to be placed on a legal guardian's insurance plan until I turned 18. I remember asking different agencies to see if anybody would insure me and they wouldn't. And I suppose that could vary state by state as well but that was my situation back then.

I insured my kids cars until they were over 22 under my name and they were "occasional" drivers. It saved A BUNCH if you could do that since you are a young man and they will stick it too you because of others. To me, that is "profiling" but it is what most insurance companies do which is why I owned them in my name until they got older and then I transferred the titles over to them. :thumb:
My parents helped me out in this way too. I’m more grateful for that now than I was then. I paid them only the difference that their premiums went up just from adding my car to the fleet.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back