The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Installing suspension mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly215

Probationary Member
May 19, 2002
Los_Angeles
has anyone installed springs and shocks themselves on a 1g? I need to know how difficult it is. I know a major factor is that the old springs are madly compressed and its dangerous to take them off, but has it been done? I have a neighbor who can do all that stuff, but I need to know how difficult it is. I refuse to pay 200 bucks just to have some springs and shocks installed!

Its easy just go and buy a spring compressor, lift up one side of the car, put in jack stands, unbolt the shock/spring assemblies and then put on the compressor tighted it and then unbolt the shock from the spring, put in new parts and repeat.

how much does a spring compressor cost, and how do I decompress the spring when I need to?

A cheap spring compressor (like the one I used) Is simply 2 claps on a bar that is kinda like a big screw. You place the clamp on both sides of the shock/spring assembly and then tighten it until you compress the spring so much that it takes pressure off of the shock. Then you unbolt the shock and take it off then just undo the spring compressors. (you can get the compressors at almost any auto store, mine were like $40

Or just go rent one from a local shop. Usually about $10 an hour and it will take you maybe 2 hours to do it. The other alternative, if your lucky, is your local Pep Boys/Auto Zone have the deposit system for tools and basic equipment. You jsut go in and pput in a deposit. When you are done you give the item back nad get the deposit back IN FULL. I don't know if they would carry a spring compressor though. ;)

I find that if you do it yourself it feels like you've actually put something into your car as opposed to having someone else do it for you and even if you don't know how to do it at least learning while someone is showing you that way you can do it yourself. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back