The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Installing New Coil Packs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is for a 2g (96). Don't know about other years, I suppose it would work the same.

I take no responsibility for your actions, this is my suggested way of doing it, because it worked for me. If you spray fuel in your eyes and then get lit up by a spark, it's not my fault. If anything breaks because you messed it up, again, not my fault. Always wear the proper safety equipment when working on/around your car.

First thing's first: assemble your tools.

I used:

Various Socket wrenches
Good Phillips Head Screw Driver
Patience
Cursing

Step one:

Disconnect the battery. We do this so in case you spill fuel when removing the fuel rail, you don't start a fire because a spark goes off when that liquid finds it's way into an electrical circuit. Also because you're working on a freaking coil pack, this is what gives your engine enough spark to turn over, I'm pretty sure it would fry your hand/arm if it went off while handling it.

Step two:

Remove all wires/sensors that will get in your way, basically you need to remove all the wires that hook up to the fuel injectors and that whole harness, pull it over to the passenger side of the engine bay so it will be out of your way.

Step Three:

Remove spark plug wires. You should be installing new ones, unless you just installed new ones within the last few thousand miles, then you should be fine. I replaced mine anyways because of arching on the wires. (one of the ends that plugged into the coil was fried)

Step Four:

Unbolt Fuel rail. Be careful when you do this, there are three black spacers between the rail and the head, don't lose them, because they are a pain to fish out.

Step Five:

Pull up fuel rail. The injectors should stay locked into the fuel rail. Be Cautious, this is where you could get sprayed with fuel and what not.

Step Six:

Unbolt metal plate that the coil packs are set into. There will be two bolts on the right hand side pointed towards the side, and another two bolts that are on the left, pointing upwards.

Note: there is one bolt longer than all the others, this one goes in the upper left-hand hole.

Step Seven:

Remove coil packs, being careful not to knock your fuel injectors out (injector for number one seems to be the one that can easiest be knocked out at this point.)

Step Eight:

Install new coil packs on the plate, you should replace both at the same time so you don't have to do it over in a few weeks when the other one breaks too. Wire them up the same, and you shouldn't have a problem.

Follow the steps in the reverse order to reinstall them. Make sure all connections are put back on, and you're good to go.

(Pics to come tomorrow, I'm freaking tired right now.)

DSM FOREVER!!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back