The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Installing cams questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Engine is at tdc and I tried to keep the cam dowels close when cam caps torqued. Intake needs to spin cw, exhaust ccw to line up. They are opening valves, can you still bend stuff forcing them? I haven't applied much pressure yet.

If you're concerned move it away from tdc then finish cam install. To install belt put cams dowels up then move number one to tdc and proceed with belt install.

You shouldn’t have to move them too much. Like Pauley said, move the crank away from tdc slightly. Set the cams and use zip ties to hold the tbelt in place. Then work around the idler, rear balancer, crank then tensioner pulley. You want the slack on the tensioner pulley side.

Engine is at tdc and I tried to keep the cam dowels close when cam caps torqued. Intake needs to spin cw, exhaust ccw to line up. They are opening valves, can you still bend stuff forcing them? I haven't applied much pressure yet.
You d9nt
Cams are installed and tighten down, it's the part where I have to turn the cam gears to get the marks to line up is where I'm concerned.
You dont have to have any piston at tdc to set cam gears. Put the belt on the gears and have the dowels up and secure them THEN put number one at tdc and finish installing the belt.

You dont have to have any piston at tdc to set cam gears. Put the belt on the gears and have the dowels up and secure them THEN put number one at tdc and finish installing the belt.

Literally just did this job, this is how I did it as well, no problems turning the motor after going to TDC on number 1 and installing the timing belt.

Do the HLA's need bled in this scenario? I bled mine when I changed cams just for safety but didn't know if it was necessary, just precautionary since I put a head on once that didn't have them bled and bent a few valves very easily, so I'm gun shy.

Thanks, I was being overly cautious, been a few years. I read the post where you are safe to rotate off tdc 180 degrees with no issues. Lined up fine.

Attachments

• 20201107_193226.jpg
    20201107_193226.jpg
    846.6 KB · Views: 26
Thanks, I was being overly cautious, been a few years. I read the post where you are safe to rotate off tdc 180 degrees with no issues. Lined up fine.
Not 180. That would just put two other pistons at the top. Even just 10 degrees is plenty and simplifies the rest of the install too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back