The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Installing a LED

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob98GST

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2003
FT. Worth, Texas
I would like to install a LED in my 98 GST on the top of the inside driver door (I want it to stare right at a *!@#^! theif :mad: as they look in the car - my Talon had the divers door broken out twice). I don't have an aftermarket alarm, but I do have the factory alarm. I may end up getting an aftermarket alarm install in the near future.

It doesn't really matter if the LED blinks (I would perfer that, how much harder would that be to pull off?) or not. It would be cool if I could get the LED to activate when I set the factory alarm, but that would be too much work. How do you guys suggest I power this? The car has power door locks/windows - I was thinking I could just tap into one of these.

I don't really know much about electronics, is there a certian voltage LED I should get? Will I need to put a resistor in line? I am thinking that where ever i tap into, the LED will be on all the time, this won't put too much of a strain on the battery will it?

Thanks guys.

go to ebay, i think type in Varad Led

it should bring up a two wire optional blinking LED for this type of usage, alarm not required.

you would pull off your door panel, now, do you have a test light? (thing that has a wire and a clip, clip goes on negative and whenever you touch positive it lights up)

do this to the back of the harness on your pwer window switch and see if it lights while the car is off.

i dont know if it has a constant to power while car is off, then, get a switch, mount it somewher eon the door, take the red wire from where you found the power, to switch, our switch, to red on LED. Black goes to a screw on the door gor ground.

voila, ghetto rigged LED

Thanks for the info FiReBReTHa - that sounds simple enough.

Off to ebay.

I have Varad's LEDs in my car, 2 right below the radio one green and one white. Not only can you use them with or without an alarm Varads LED's are also freaking bright, unless you go with their red, pick a different color and they are blinding. You can see my LED's from the kitchen window when my car is like 30-40 feet from the house. Prolly further but I dunno how much.

-Shane

Or you can just go to radio shack and get a 12v blinking LED for less than $1, no need to get the VARAD LED.2g's have 5 wire door lock actuators, meaning there is a wire that will switch to ground when the actuator is in the lock position.Coming from the actuator in the door, you'll find 5 wires, find the one that switches to ground in the lock position, use that wire for the negative side of your LED.I can't think of any wires that are constant power inside the door, so you'll need to run a wire through the door boot.Use a relay so your power wire only has power when the ignition is off.Then anytime your ignition is off and doors are locked, your LEDs will flash.Since the factory remote locks the doors, it will work just like an aftermarket alarm LED.If you can't find a 12v blinking LED, I can show how to do it with a low voltage blinking LED.I can also show you how to do the relay if you can't figure it out.

You should put the 1n4001(it can also be a 1n4002-1n4004 or similar) diode on the relay, but it is not absolutely necessary.The 330 ohm 1/4 watt resistor goes between the LEDs negative and ground, it's kinda hard to see on the diagram.You can get you IGN and Constant 12v at either the steering column or the radio.

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 181
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back