The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Installed passenger side motor mount and now car will crank but not start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlizzClips

Probationary Member
Jul 7, 2023
Montebello, California
Hello first post on here. I could really use some help I'm totally lost.

I have a 1995 Eclipse GS 420A manual trans. Car was running just fine yesterday. This morning I replaced the passenger side motor mount. Hard a hard time getting one bolt out but after some wd40 and some light taps with the hammer it came off. Installed the new one without any issue. Went to turn on it and it powers on cranks but wont fire up. I have no idea why, how can replacing a motor mount mess things up? Could I have caused a short or knocked something loose?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

did you unhook your crank position sensor plug by accident when messing around in there?
No I even checked all the other sensors just in case. all wires and sensors are where they should be. Nothing was loose or broken. Ill admit this does feel similar to when my ASD relay when out but that was only like 3 months ago, Can a ASD relay failt that fast? I just dont get it.

There aren't any connectors or grounds in that area. So unless you lowered the engine far enough to snatch the wiring harness, the issue is unrelated. Time to check for fuel and spark.
Yeah thats I was think I didnt see anything critical. the engine did drop but only a quarter of an inch if that? Its raining currently but once it stops im gonna do the diagnosis. One thing that worried me was that my scanner wouldnt communicate with the ECU which was what happen the last time when the ASD relay went bad. This who situation is just odd, Either way thank you all for responding ill start and see where this leads me, Ill update when I make some progress.

So I noticed this wire was ripped off it was bolted to the motor just under the headers then its wired to the harnes that leads into the coil pack. Could this be what is causing my no start? I cant seem to find anything that tells me what this part is called or what its supppose to do. Any insight would be appriciated. Pictures attached

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hello, so I wanted to give an update. I finally got it running
At first I replaced the condenser as seen in the picture. but that still didn't get it to start, had the same issue crank but no start....so I went over the engine once again and checked all the grounds and wires I could find, eventually I took a closer at the ground next to the battery, it looked fine which is why I overlooked it, but I gave it a tug and the cable itself slipped out of the connector
Another problem was the nut holding it down was stripped and just kept spinning. So I had to cut the nut with a metal hand saw (I didn't have any other tools to cut that type of thick metal) and eventually got it cut off. I removed more of the insulation from the wire and placed it back into the connector and clamped it down tight. Since the bolt was stripped I used these metal fasteners and got it down nice and tight. and she started right up. Not seen in the picture but I removed the old tape and wrapped it better to make it secure. I took it out for a drive and everything help up well. So yeah problem solved. many thanks for the input.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back