The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

installed my turbo xs rfl bov last night

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosted97GS-T

20+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2002
Louisiana
well as everyone might guess its RFL !! car idles like stock and drives like stock and best of all no more boost spike :D , my damn 1G bov was leaking since day one.

My 90 has a RFL. I let my bro and his girlfriend take the car one night. He said the first time he shifted under boost that his lady said, "what the hell was that? Did you hit a cat or something?" I laughed my butt off at that.

it sounds like there is enough air comming out of there to dent the hood :)

I hate to start up the venting to atmosphere debate...

But with your RFL are you venting back to the intake? Do you have a VPC?

Originally posted by Niknuk
My 90 has a RFL. I let my bro and his girlfriend take the car one night. He said the first time he shifted under boost that his lady said, "what the hell was that? Did you hit a cat or something?" I laughed my butt off at that.

WOW w/ a vented BOV you get idle surge big @#$%ing deal, its not your car if you have a hair up you a$$ that it loses HP it does not because the only time the BOV opens(if you have a good BOV) is when you let off and let me think HP doesnt mater whan you let off because you dont make any HP when you let off. I am sure you RFL is loud I have a Greddy type R and its loud as well, but does not open unless I have atleast 6psi of boost.

I have an RFL also. It rules. It's loud idles fine(which is important for me since I have cams). Nothing like scaring old people walking down the street.

Later,

the rfl does vent, and the reason i bought it is because it is cheaper than most others

Yes my bov vents to the atmosphere, but I recently bought this car and that is what the previous owner had on it. It idles great. I know I'm running rich between shifts because I dont' have a VPC. Yes I would like to recirc the air back to the intake but I just dont have the cash just yet, unless of course someone wants to buy my bov. ;)

I was just asking, I've tried venting on several 1990's and they stall when you lift off the gas.

I was just wondering if an aftermarket BOV would stop the stalling.

Originally posted by robvas
I was just asking, I've tried venting on several 1990's and they stall when you lift off the gas.

I was just wondering if an aftermarket BOV would stop the stalling.

i know what you mean, i vented my 1g bov once, and it would die out between shifts and at idle, so i ordered this one and figured it would do the same. but i got it, put 4 washers in it and bolted it down and it never misses a beat.

maybe someone could explain to us whats the difference?

i have the 2G dsm, and i put on turbo xs bov. my car stalls between shifts if the a/c is on..and you push clutch in around 1700 rpms to 2300 rpms. it sucks... i can adjust the ais motor up ...but then i idle high.and its obnoxious

I havn't had anything out of the ordinary for my car. Idles fine, shifts "feel" no different, no stalling, no dying out....hmmm maybe my car is retarded?

I hate to perpetuate the venting thing, but I think this may be informational. I run a 1g BOV vented and it runs nearly like stock. The only time I can get it to stumble is if I try. I had to rig up check valves, Gus/Dejon mod, 1/2" bypass before check valve, etc. It was probably more work than its worth since the better I made it run the quieter it got. But it was a good challenge, and it worked. :) I am going to try my friends RFL to compare.

Does anybody know if a recirculated aftermarket BOV sounds louder than a recirculated 1g BOV?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back