The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Installation of a mechanical oil pressure gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackclipse620

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2007
Abilene, Texas
I need help putting in a auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge. I dont know where the port is or can i hook a mechanical one up to my idiot sensor or what? I have a 96 gs. I saw on a neon forum that there is a port on the back of their engine that you open with an allen key and the sender just screws right in. Does the 420a have the same thing? I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again!

I need help putting in a auto meter mechanical oil pressure gauge. I dont know where the port is or can i hook a mechanical one up to my idiot sensor or what? I have a 96 gs. I saw on a neon forum that there is a port on the back of their engine that you open with an allen key and the sender just screws right in. Does the 420a have the same thing? I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks again!

There is a sending unit on the far driver's side end of the block called the oil pressure sending unit. You tee it off there to install the round grenade looking thing(that came with the gauge), then the original OEM sender (sensor mentioned above).

There is a sending unit on the far driver's side end of the block called the oil pressure sending unit. You tee it off there to install the round grenade looking thing(that came with the gauge), then the original OEM sender (sensor mentioned above).

Yeah what he said. Its easiest to reach from under the car, and the wiring connector on the stock sending unit is bright green(atleast on mine). Get a tee and tee off of it. You may need an oil pressure sending unit socket available at autozone.

Make carefully solid connections, especially in the vehicle's cabin. I imagine you would not want a leak spraying hot oil all over you while you are driving.

Make sure you tighten everything very well and route your oil line carefully. My first oil pressure gauge was mechanical and it was fine for over a year before I opted to swap out my gauges.

Make carefully solid connections, especially in the vehicle's cabin. I imagine you would not want a leak spraying hot oil all over you while you are driving.
Hmm OP do you have one that runs the line to the gauge itself or one with a big sensor that runs electrically to the gauge?

No its a mechanical one. I went to oreillys today and got the tee for it. Any suggestions on how to run it exactly.

If you can, try to shove the line through an existing grommet in the firewall. Do not let the line come in contact with sharp edges.

Yeah I knew there was a difference in the mechanical and electrical. The mechanical needs the actual oil to run up to the gauge. Whereas the electrical is all wire. No worries though, I'm sure it's the same set-up just using a different unit to transport the oil.

Locke is right though, you DO NOT want any sharp edges near those lines. They carry all your hot oil. So if they puncture, it's going to get hot and messy..

I have another question on this install. What is the best way to get to the oil sensor because from what i see, this is gonna be a bi*** to get out. When im under the car i see it to the far left side on the block and it doesnt look easy to get to. Also what size is the hole that it goes in because when i went to oreillys and bought the tee for it, they gave me one that looks a hell of alot smaller than the oil pressure . The guy said it was the right size to just take the op sensor out and screw in the tee. Any suggestions?

Getting the sender out? Go to your local auto parts store and buy an Oil Pressure switch socket. Be sure you get the deep one. Removing the lower crossmember makes it alittle easier to access I believe. It's only 6 bolts.

On other thing I have for you. Iwould assume there are diffrent size op switch sockets. What size would i need or is it just a standard size for all?

If I recall I picked up a autometer gauge that was electrical pretty cheap brand new and it would save you a huge headache rather than trying to run that mechanical one.

Oh well, sometimes it's best to spend a little more.

Ok guys, I have the gauge hooked up but i still have yet another question. When I first start my car and when i am driving my oil psi reads between 50 and 60 psi. But when I let it idle for a while or when i come to a stop after driving, the psi drops to about 20. I checked to see if i have any leaks from where i hooked it up at and its all good. I ran the air out of the lines but it still drops when i idle. Is this normal? Any advice would be great!

Ok guys, I have the gauge hooked up but i still have yet another question. When I first start my car and when i am driving my oil psi reads between 50 and 60 psi. But when I let it idle for a while or when i come to a stop after driving, the psi drops to about 20. I checked to see if i have any leaks from where i hooked it up at and its all good. I ran the air out of the lines but it still drops when i idle. Is this normal? Any advice would be great!

Yeah you need to let the car warm up first. That's why when you first start dirving it reads higher, because the oil hasn't warmed up yet.

Let it idle for 10-15 minutes and you'll see it drop.

I read 25 psi at idle, but it's probably different for each car.

I'm at about 55 psi at idle on warmup, after warmup it's anywhere from 20 psi to 15 psi. I have a small leak coming off the sending unit. My oil level is goo though. Watch those hard tunrs, I think it's the laft handers, the oil pressure drops cause we don't have..shit forgot the name, even level oil pans. That gauge will become your good friend, always be sure you level is good, nothing like oil starvation to kill a motor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back