The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Install transmission without a lift.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babyviper

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 12, 2003
Mays Landing, New_Jersey
I am sure many of you have installed transmissions from the ground and I am wondering what everyone has been doing.
I have always owned FWD DSMs and I recently picked up an AWD spyder a few weeks ago and had to do a clutch install. I usually set the trans on my chest and chuck in in there. For the FWD, I went high on the left side to clear the sub-frame and then rotate it left to get in on the dowel pins. For the AWD, I realized that I had to go low on the left and rotate up to clear the sub-frame. Took five tries to figure that out. I tried using the floor jack with a block of wood but it was not working at all, it was just at the wrong angle.

I lean over the fender and grab it from the top. Pick it up and twist it around a little to slide it on. I've had way to much practice unfortunately so it works great for me. Takes about 15-20 seconds or so from it being on the ground to being on the dowel pins and ready to be bolted up.

I've installed many dsm and non dsm transmissions this way. If you have an engine hoist drop the chain under the car through the engine bay and place the transmission on the ground. Hook it up using the transmission mount turned 180 degrees and use the hoist to lift the transmission into place.

I lean over the fender and grab it from the top. Pick it up and twist it around a little to slide it on. I've had way to much practice unfortunately so it works great for me. Takes about 15-20 seconds or so from it being on the ground to being on the dowel pins and ready to be bolted up.
Wow, that's gotta be hard on your back. I installed a trans from the top on a 92 sentra once and it sucked, but those transmissions are only around 60 pounds. pulling 100+ pounds from up there is out of the question for me. I messed up my back installing a head a few years back, should have took the hood off.

Its always that back passenger side "lip" that gets caught on the awd's. Sometime's it'll make you want to give up because its so stupid. Raising and lowering the motor helps some too, to finagle the trans out.

Its always that back passenger side "lip" that gets caught on the awd's. Sometime's it'll make you want to give up because its so stupid. Raising and lowering the motor helps some too, to finagle the trans out.

That lip you can simply unbolt it i think it 3 or 4 bolts and it comes out and u snag nothing it tooke me all damn day to get it past it and couldnt get it lined up right i pulled that brace off and maybe 1 minute later was bolting it up

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know on a 1g if you don't unbolt the gusset pictured it makes it damn near impossible to install the transmission without a ton of frustration. It requires some pretty creative twisting to get it past it.

engine hoist is the way t go i guess. after forgetting to unbolt the fwd flywheel inspection cover during a awd swap making numoures attempts LOL.. it went in just 1 try its the most horrible Jobs i ever did. damw transmissions

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I know on a 1g if you don't unbolt the gusset pictured it makes it damn near impossible to install the transmission without a ton of frustration. It requires some pretty creative twisting to get it past it.
This is what i was talking about yeah mine was on a 1g never messed with it on a 2g

I think they call that the K-bar, or kidney plate. I had everything else out, i should have taken that out too, would have sweat a lot less :p

When my spyder was FWD and I didnt have a lift available Id unbolt the passenger lower control arm and remove the axle completely. Push the strut and arms out of the way, set the trans on my lap and scoot into the wheel well. Use my legs and arms to get it into place. Sometimes it went in in no time and sometimes it was a pain in the ass. Ive also tried a floor jack as well as the hoist idea. Im too short for the leaning over the fender way to work but I've tried that as well. I cant even tell you how many times I've had the motor/trans out of this car.

The floor Jack's is the way to go. I would just keep trying till I get it matched up. Or rent a hoist. For me it was near impossible even with a hoist as twisting my tranny to get the bolts to match up was beyond frustrating. I recommend you rent a hoist and grab a friend

I always found the subframe to be an issue on 2g's, as it was always in the way to line the tranny back up properly. Then I figured out the engine like to rotate/tilt towards the firewall when the mounts are disconnected (sure it makes matters worse with the front end being jacked up). I figure out if you wedge a correct length block of wood between the subframe & the engine block, this allows for proper subframe clearance & the install becomes a simple job. I find two people, with a floor jack works best, from putting the tranny on a floor jack to bolting it up is less then a 2 min job. Guy on the bottom jacks the tranny up & makes sure it doesn't fall off, guy above guides it into place.

definitely have a friend help. why work that damn hard? im in the middle of a trans rebuild/ clutch swap and im pretty sure i would have thrown a fit without a little help.

Yeah I feel you man, I felt the same way. Problem is that I moved to a city where nobody work on their own cars, they just pay people. Where I grew up, I would have had no problem getting help.

definitely have a friend help. why work that damn hard? im in the middle of a trans rebuild/ clutch swap and im pretty sure i would have thrown a fit without a little help.

The right tools help even better. I personally can't stand having someone help me with installing engines and transmissions. For me i like to be able to do it exactly how i want without other opinions or idea's. It always goes smoother this way for me.

my go to guy is a fellow dsmer so the process is pretty smooth. i agree on the frustration of extra hands in the way though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back