The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Install Toggle Switch(All Purpose)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parts needed:
1-DVD Case
1-Toggle Swtich
1-Fuse Link(As shown in images)
4-Speaker Crimp-on Connectors
2-Ring Crimp-on Wire Connectors(For chasis ground)

Total = $4.54

I got the 16AWG wire from a vacum cleaner that exploded and the toggle switch from someone.

Any of you have some holes in your car that you think something was supposed to be there and isnt because of some odd reason. Well I have a solution for it. I had a hole in my center console and have speakers with neon lights. Thought , put a switch in that hole and make the lights able to turn on and off.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The first thing that you should do is measure the hole.

Then you should make a drawing of the width and heighth of the hole.

Next you should find something that would most likely make a good flat panel for a switch to fit in and so you can have the panel fit inside that hole nice and snug.

I used an old DVD Case. The material is nice and strong , and will be easy to fabricate. Cut out the width and height of the outside of the panel.

Then find a drill bit with a good size that your switch will fit through and drill a hole in the middle of the cut out. Next you will fabricate the cut out to fit the hole in the console.

To fabricate the plastic from the DVD case you will need to use a dremel. I modified the side and the top of the cut out first so I could then work on the fabrication of the round edges.

In order for me to make the edges of the switch panel. I would need to find a drill bit the size or radius of the original corners on the console. Then you can make another hole in the DVD case. Place the hole over the straight 90degree corners of the switch panel and pencil them. Then dremel out the edges. ( Took me some time to dremel the edges and make a perfect fit. )

After all said and done , exacto off the extra and you now have your switch console panel. Then super glue the switch panel to your console hole and leave off to the side to dry.

*Important* Unplug battary for steps ahead.

You can now soder the switch to some 16-14AWG wire. Then test as shown.

The next step will be to find a 12volt DC that will power your neons or lights. I chose to look under my In-Dash CD Player for an extra 12volt line. Be very carefull and remember to unplug the battary when you are attempting this.

In order for me to take the whole center console off I had to make special slits in the console near the seat belts. You can most likely leve the bottom portion of the console on to run the wire. Just easier when you remove the whole thing.

I found a 12volt line and decided that I would need a fuse between the line and the switch just so I dont blow out the neon lights.

To run the wire you should go under your seats , I will leave out all the detail that I did , but you should be able to wire under your seats. ( Allways wire inside vehicle , never leading outside line. )

After hiding the wire you can start to assemble your center console again. Placing all the wires where nothing will touch or be grounded out.

Then you will have a nice switch for your neons installed.

Also , if you find a DC line that runs from the battary you can have your car off and still NEON.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back