The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Install EPROM. Won't start, just clicks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UofACATS

15+ Year Contributor
May 11, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Installed a socketed EPROM ECU. Turning the key to "ACC" results in a rapid clicking from under the hood. The vehicle turns over, but won't start.

Re-installed the original ECU and it starts fine.

Visually, my electronically untrained eye detects no defects on the ECU, although I could easily be mistaken.

Anyone want to take a shot?

:dsm:

Stanford, thanks for the reply. The EPROM orientation is something I had not considered. From memory, the writing faced the "outside" of the ecu, if that makes sense.

The ECU allegedly has new caps. I'll go check on the above........

The eprom chip faces the outside, or edge, of the ecu. Everything else seems to be very clean and in order. Any ideas?

Since you have a 95 you would have to get an EPROM from a 95 DSM. Anything earlier won't work.

If you put it in backwards (note the notch orientation) then the chip is fried. Regardless, the clicking is caused by a relay constantly firing which (in my case) was caused by a shop socketing the ECU incorrectly.

I e-mailed Dave from DSMLink about it and he sent me a new chip free of charge, as well as repaired my ECU. In total it came out to something really fair, like below 50 with quick shipping.

Thanks for the responses.
The EPROM is not "programed." I have yet to purchase DSMLINK.

The seller said "new caps, and socketed." If it's socketed incorrectly, is the ecu fixable?

If the chip is fried, then the DSMLINK will provide me with a new chip correct?

2G-GSX. Is it the relay right next to the brake fluid resovior? Also, thanks for the dsmlink info, if they repared your ecu from incorrect socketing, then they might be able do the same for me.

:dsm:

Hey UofACATS, talk to the wiseman that posted before you, he may be able to help you out.

UofACATS said:
The EPROM is not "programed." I have yet to purchase DSMLINK.

The seller said "new caps, and socketed." If it's socketed incorrectly, is the ecu fixable?

If the chip is fried, then the DSMLINK will provide me with a new chip correct?

How can the ECU not be programmed. That's that the EPROM chip does. It's the ECU software. So you either have a stock EPROM chip, some third party EPROM like a DSMchips or DSNlink EPROM or an empty socket. The empty socket sin't going to boot and a chip installed backwards isn't going to either.

Depending on what shape the ECU is in it should be repairable but I've received a couple that were so badly done they blew other parts of the ECU and trashed the whole thing.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I am "electronically untrained." What I meant by not programmed is that I have a stock EPROM chip.

I've emailed the problem to dsmlink.

Thanks for the replies.

The stock EPROM chip still has to be oriented correctly. If the ECU is damaged from the socketing it should be able to be fixed. Like I said, the people at DSMLink will definitely be able to fix it for you, although a local shop may be able to as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back