The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Injen intake issue, car will almost die out. vaccum leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicgsx

Probationary Member
Nov 17, 2022
Port orchard, Washington
I recently just put on a injen intake on my 97 gsx. It sounds great im very happy with the purchase. Heres my problem. At idle its all good drives great boosts great however if i put the clutch in after 2-4k the car will almost die out. Tried looking on threads here cant see anything maybe there is something i missed? Do I need a tune please help

I recently just put on a injen intake on my 97 gsx. It sounds great im very happy with the purchase. Heres my problem. At idle its all good drives great boosts great however if i put the clutch in after 2-4k the car will almost die out. Tried looking on threads here cant see anything maybe there is something i missed? Do I need a tune please help
You left something disconnected or loose. Go back over everything you touched.

Did you happen to not hook the recirculating tube back up? You mentioned it sounds great so I’m assuming you wanted that awesome blow off valve noise.

-Daniel

All of the lines are properly connected theres no leak from what i can see. I went over everything how it should i think. The kit came with 2 new lines i used one of them from the valve cover to the intake but not the other one Heres a picture

Last edited by a moderator:
On mine, I have the sensor, BOV return, and two other hoses plugged in on the engine side as you move down towards the turbo and a port on the radiator side capped off. Make sure the sensor is plugged all the way in, the bov is returned. One hose connects to the valve cover... Not sure where the other hose goes but it runs under the intercooler pipe to somewhere back towards the fire wall.
(Yeah, i know it says K&N... Bought the car like that and have been too lazy over 17 years to take the stickers off :D)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Okay thank you very much. I do have a question though so on the Silanoid theres 2 lines what did you do with the top one since its capped off on the side of the intake where i think its supposed to be? Did you route the other line that came with the injen intake to the bottom? Did you cap off the top? Also you dont drop rpms when putting the clutch in? I really appreciate your input

Unless you are running a MBC you should have the BCS hooked up the way the factory intended it to be. If you are running a MBC, cap the intake nipple and just leave the BCS plugged in with no hoses attached or use vacuum caps to keep debris out.

-Daniel

Okay thank you very much. I do have a question though so on the Silanoid theres 2 lines what did you do with the top one since its capped off on the side of the intake where i think its supposed to be? Did you route the other line that came with the injen intake to the bottom? Did you cap off the top? Also you dont drop rpms when putting the clutch in? I really appreciate your input
Intake was already on the car when I bought it, so i didnt hook it up and not familiar with what comes in the kit or what instructions might tell you to do. But as @99dsmer4g63 says above, my radiator side port is capped off because the boost is controlled through ECMink, so i dont have any lines go to/from the bcs. Top and bottom were capped off and its just sitting there. If youre not controlling boost some other way, than BCS should go into that port. If you have a MBC, then you should be capping that port off. In terms of dying out when pressing the clutch in... No..I dont have that issue.

Posted a thread a week or 2 ago about the injen intake.

Its all installed correctly and it drives great and preforms awesome im happy with the purchase. Here is my concern.. simplest way i can explain it is the intake is having issues exhaling it will almost stall out and drop low rpms if im at a higher rpm and put the clutch in or if im at idle and rev it done alot of research im not sure whats wrong. It gets better when the heater is on which is intresting.

Do i need a tune maybe the maf is dirty maybe need a highflow maf senor any ideas anybody else experienced this before

Please fill out a profile. You're going to have to tell us everything you did. Simply adding an intake should have changed nothing. You did not answer a question. Did you vent the blowoff valve to atmosphere? If so that is your problem.

Last edited:
Well with that blue silicone hose in that one picture it should run back to the BOV so to answer the question of whether he's vent to atmosphere or recirculated it should be answered by that pic.

Well with that blue silicone hose in that one picture it should run back to the BOV so to answer the question of whether he's vent to atmosphere or recirculated it should be answered by that pic.
That picture is not of the OP engine bay. The OP’s picture he said he posted I didn’t see or can’t see on my screen.

-Daniel

Posted a thread a week or 2 ago about the injen intake. Its all installed correctly and it drives great and preforms awesome im happy with the purchase. Here is my concern.. simplest way i can explain it is the intake is having issues exhaling it will almost stall out and drop low rpms if im at a higher rpm and put the clutch in or if im at idle and rev it done alot of research im not sure whats wrong. It gets better when the heater is on which is intresting. Do i need a tune maybe the maf is dirty maybe need a highflow maf senor any ideas anybody else experienced this before
Is the bov recirculated or vented ?

Posted a thread a week or 2 ago about the injen intake.
Please reply to your original thread.
Its all installed correctly and it drives great and preforms awesome im happy with the purchase. Here is my concern.. simplest way i can explain it is the intake is having issues exhaling
Youre going to have to clarify. This makes no sense.
it will almost stall out and drop low rpms if im at a higher rpm and put the clutch in or if im at idle and rev it done alot of research im not sure whats wrong. It gets better when the heater is on which is intresting.
likely not related
Do i need a tune maybe the maf is dirty
dsm maf doesnt need to be cleaned. It isnt that type of maf
maybe need a highflow maf senor
No. And also to run a different sensor you need something to control it.
any ideas anybody else experienced this before
Still sounds like you vented the blowoff valve

Please post to the original thread. No need for a new one.

Post a pic of the engine bay so we can help. You posted elsewhere and left this post without a reply with like four of us trying to help you now...Sounds like you just didn't hook up the new intake pipe correctly. If you post the picture as requested someone will spot what you've done and you can go fix it :)

Some pictures

Did this happen right after you hook up the intake or did it eventually start doing it after a while?

If it started happening right afterwards, the intake takes like 5 minutes to hook up, swap back to your stock and see if it fixes the issue. Just to be sure that it IS the intake and nothing else. Otherwise, you could do a boost leak test to check for leaks

Heres pictures

Still having issues with it dieing.

Idle drops while going past 2k rpms anything above it stalls out

I have recently purchased a injen intake and installed it accordingly. I immediately notcied how the rpms would drop all the way to 200 whenever it was reved. If the clutch was put in while driving it will slowly drop down to 750 then all the way to 200 and sometimes stalls out (going over 2k rpms when the clutch was engaged).

The car had a weird idle before the aftermarket intake was put on but not like that.

Since then I've installed a new IAC and throttle body gaskets and I cleaned the throttle plate. Fixed it a little bit now at operation temp its very bad and I'm stumped on what it is. I’ve tested for boost leaks vac leaks, MAF, etc. Shifting is harder than usual and will clunk if its not a perfect shift. Please help!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back