The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Injector and ECU question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceDragon

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 13, 2004
Gilbertsville, Pennsylvania
If i put the transistor in, can i run 390's on an N/T ECU without much trouble or would I need to lean it out myself... and if I install the transistor, and the 390's... could I put in a turbo manual's ecu and have the ecu automatically fix my airfuel ratio via the air flow sensor?

I already know I'll need the resistor pack, and an FPR and a tuning device. But I am planning on turbo'ing this car in a few months. So I want to make the transition as easy and trouble free as possible. If I have all the supporting mods before the turbo, I don't have to worry about any of my electronics or what not failing. I figure if I add one thing each time, than if anything is bad, or faulty, than I'll know exactly what it is because it is whatever I just did work to. I don't even know if that makes sense, but atleast I tried to explain.

anyways, can i get some input on how to put in some more fuel without spending tons on high impedence injectors?

IceDragon,
There is no reason to be adding anymore fuel to your car as it sits. In fact you will be losing any horsepower you have now with a disgustingly rich mixture. To add an AFC, resistor pack, injectors and FPR is a sinch. Wait till you actually turbo the car before you even think about using these parts. I hate to tell you but if you add these parts before you add anything forced induction, you're wasting your time, gas and the little bit of horsepower your car still makes.

OK... Ice Dragon posted a good question. I hope you dont mind if i elaborate a little on your question. uhem... *clears throat*
1. Will a turbo ECU run in a non turbo setup after tuning? If yes, I assume (from turbo conversion threads) you can use either 390cc w/ auto turbo ecu or 450cc w/ manual turbo ecu. I also assume that DSMlink would be easiest to tune to this setup with, but achievable by other means.

2. (DSMlink side question) I can tune for anything as long as it is all stock sensors correct? what I mean is can I use a wideband O2, 1-2 bar sensor, egt?

3. (side question)What will become of the wastegate solenoid wire? I can accept the fact I have to upgrade to a new turbo MAS, add a knock sensor, and make use of a fuel pressure solenoid but i cant use a wastegate anywhere. can i just tape it off and leave it sit?

I believe I need this setup or a similar setup because I am deciding on running an engine close to 12:1 streetable CR w/nitrous. I would definately use dsmlink for my tuning in the future. Just remember... turbo ECU for larger injectors and more precise tuning of an ALL MOTOR system... thats it... no turbo ("yet" for the thread starter). That is the point of this thread. This setup I am researching still needs knock control and more fuel. Turbo MAS, EPROM tunability, and ability to turbo are all just extra stuff I can utilize more efficiently later. You can call that stuff the next step for Ice Dragon aswell, except he already wants to go turbo.

engine: (*all theoretical until i fully research what i need to know, thus this post. I need to buy parts around other parts if you know what im saying)

2.4L 4gcs (HAVE)
*2g DOHC cylinder head (HAVE)
*12:1CR 87mm custom forged piston (custom as in NA dish design)
*custom cams matched to piston (u should know why)(HAVE turbo cams)
eagle ESP connecting rods (HAVE)
crower single valvesprings w/ tit. retainer (HAVE)
fidanza adjustable cam sprockets (HAVE)
centerforce dualfriction clutch (HAVE)

that would be reason enuff to need the tunability of a turbo ecu 390cc or 450cc alike

BTW the reason i seem so determined on knowledge b4 money is because i just slipped timing on my 4g63. I had $8000 in parts and porting for a turbo engine that never reached anything close to having a turbo put on. $4000 rebuild and 2700 miles later, im mad and wanting my sports car again. There are quite a few goals but not the place nor the time to state them.

TimG---- just remember some things suck hard before tuning, like some cams.

Every time I post something NA I feel I have to defend the all motor aspect somehow. I would like to keep believing that high CR is just fixed, never ending boost.

Every time I post something NA I feel I have to defend the all motor aspect somehow. I would like to keep believing that high CR is just fixed, never ending boost.

Keep believing. It's all a matter of comparison so when you get it going... again, bring it to the track and see what numbers you put down. If you can get the thing into the mid-13s, then it's impressive. If you can't, I'm sure it's still fun to drive, but it just proves forced induction is better then N/A for the amount of money you poured into your set-up.

As for adding larger turbo injectors, not only are you going to have to wire in a resistor pack, but you are going to have to buy a whole slue of tuning equipment:
1. DSMLink?
2. EPROM turbo ECU?
3. Have lots of cash for not much of a hp upgrade.

The difference between an n/a and a turbo set-up is that with a turbo set-up, each upgrade you buy can allow for more horsepower to be seen to the wheels. With the n/a set-up, you need a whole combination of parts in order to see a collective horsepower increase.

Unless you have something you want to prove, keep your n/t stock. I'm telling you this from over 6 years of DSM experience. Trust me, you aren't the only one to run high comp + nitrous and you are also not the only one to run into disaster either.

But if you do get it on the road and to the track, post some results. I'm curious because every DSM that tries to go n/a or n/a+nitrous fails. I hope you fair a little bit better for yourself. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back