The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

infinityfornt install??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candela

20+ Year Contributor
May 10, 2002
Austin, Arizona
I bought theses infinity perfect or something a while back. They came with a 6.5" speaker with a seperate tweater and a intermix box to cross referance them. I installed the 6.5" but left the tweats out cause I liked how the front little 3" (??) sounds. My friend has been buggin me that the infinty tweat will sound bad ass, and I should install it. My question is, is since i should get rid of those stock fronts and replace them with the tweats where/ how should I mount the tweats and the little box that comes with. Or would it be better to splice the tweats in with the stock fronts (althoug I wouldnt get much wattage that way)...oh yeah, i dont have any amps, just a 55watt in stereo amp. Thanks

uhm the infinity tweets will complete the component set you have.. you dont just install the woofer ot tweeter.. you do both.. and you use the crossover box to run it corectly.. one set to tweets, one set to woofers..

I took the 3" speakers out and cut the inside of the speaker out, then I mounted my tweeters in where those 3" speakers were.. what a diff that made.. ofcourse I also had no 3" speakers either cuz getting em to work with an aftermarket deck was to confusing for me at the time.

well thanks then...I just wasn't sure if it would sound any better, but I guess Ill try it.

Yep, Larry's dead on. If you want to keep the 3" speakers and also use the tweets, be careful. Make damn sure that you are raising the Ohm load. Wire them in series with the 3" speakers and plug the leads into your crossover. That will have the same effect of a -3 DB switch if your x-over has one, and it should help keep the front stage from being to bright. That 55 Watt Headunit is a really low current amp and it will probably fry real fast if you try to run less than 4 Ohms (Parallel).

LOL...i wish I knew what you were talking about!! I dont mind taking out the stocks, but oly if it will sound reasonable. Its 55wattsx4 and there are 6 speaker getting power now. If i hook up the x-over that came with the speakers then the power is shared with the 6.5" and the tweets it came with...so in an essence it would still be only 4 speakers.

Right. What I was saying is, if you add another speaker to that x-over. Like keeping the 3", that is really good for vocals, you will change the load. As long as you connect, say the 3" positive to the tweeters negitave and the other two poles to their appropriate x-over poles you'll sound great. Not that it won't sound great if you just use the tweeter and the woofer, I just perfer to have a small cone to help bolster the tweeters range. As far as the -3db cut I was talking about...some x-overs have a switch that let's you tone the tweeter down if it's too bright. It's really handy on disgustingly accurate speakers, like Infinity's and Bostons. Anyway, It sounds like you have a really good setup. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back