The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

In case not everyone has seen the Evo concept abomination

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the part that you are big time discounting here! people do care about what powers their car in the USA, you cant compare us to other countries, we are in love with our automobiles, and we do like driving them and we do like the sound and feel of the power of engines, that will not change, that I guarantee you, people will not be sold a bill of goods on something that they dont want, period...Obamacare is a prime example of that. Bolt, Volt, whatever the heck it was called its dead as of 2019. yes you can buy a leftover but production is dead on them bud, they dont sell, you can also buy a new Cruize, its also a dead man walking, out of production as of 2019, plant closed and officially sold, not coming back, nor is the Volt, the cars didn't sell aka little demand for them.

What I can tell you (as a person who has spent the time in the automotive field/dealerships) is that the actual future is alternative fuel internal combustion engines and additional emissions equipment to clean up cars even further, the manufacturer's have invested the money there, and will continue to invest in it for the rest of your life, if you or anyone else thinks for one second that big oil is ever going to allow electric cars to put them out of business...LOL you must be in middle school or high school and indoctrinated by the system still, you need to come out here in the real world and understand how things work. All of the billions of dollars that we are currently investing in fracking and pipelines? do you think that oil companies and the government are doing that for nothing? are you kidding? dinosaurs will continue to be burnt the rest of your years my friends, sleep well in that knowlege.

*shrugs* Believe it if you want; As a person that has spent time in the automotive field, I think your view may be biased. As someone that doesn't pigeonhole himself, most people I've known (outside the enthusiasts) would love to enjoy the convenience that an electric car offers. Most people in the major population centers don't give a shit about what's powering their cars, they're just a tool to get them from point A to point B, and if they look good, all the better. Hell, a growing trend I've seen is people that haven't gotten their drivers licenses until they're upwards of 25+ because they simply don't need the expense that a car has to offer (payments, maintenance, insurance) when they can Lyft or Uber themselves away to wherever they need to go. Now, I'll admit, my experience is mostly limited to people from Northern California and North and South Carolina, plus Florida, but I also have the unique advantage of growing up in a town where an electric car wasn't quite practical due to the hills and distance between everything until the latest generation started rolling out. The limited range is increasing though, and that's really the only other barrier to entry (other than the insane price of batteries, and thus the whole car) for a large segment of the market.

Now, the enthusiasts? Yea, they're in love with their autos. They are the Americans you're talking about, but your statement doesn't blanket the country. Investments in Fracking? Alternative Fuel? Pipelines? That's the establishment trying so hard to fight against what's coming... but it's coming, like it or not. The future of automobiles will be electric powered, whether that's in a battery or hybrid configuration. Just like cars replaced horses a century ago, better things are coming, and as soon as the price point hits, people will flock to them.

Now, am I saying that ALL gas powered cars will be gone? Not by a long shot. A lot of people don't have money to blow on new cars when theirs still run. Many people actually love the cars they have and have no intention of replacing them, or at least no intention of getting rid of them (as I post on a DSM enthusiast forum about my daily driver being electric... but how much I still love my DSMs) I still occasionally see a Model A driving around Carmichael also. Fossil fuels are going the way of the dinosaur... but it is going to take a very long time for them to all go. They're going to dwindle. In 20-30 years, they may stop manufacturing all but the most specific use cases (working vehicles, heavy equipment, etc...) but the gas burners will be on the road for a long time after that, and anyone that believes otherwise is naive.

As for Tesla... There's just too much there... the $100 down payment with no commitment to buy? That raised them close to 30 million bucks overnight. The ugly ass "truck"? Shaped that way because the stainless steel they're using can't be pressed the way sheet metal is - what I read is that it's actually so hard they have to score it before folding at those bends. The money? Yea, they're losing money all the time, but with every auto manufacturer dumping R&D dollars into electric tech, and the number of available electric models increasing yearly, Tesla's "secret mission" is on the road to coming to fruition - the whole point of the company wasn't to be profitable, it was to force auto manufacturers to build electric cars, and now they are. Heck, even Ford has an F150 electric truck prototype. The Pikes Peak hill climb record? SHATTERED by an electric car.

So, go ahead and keep telling everyone that electric cars are a gimmick. This was my rebuttal, but sales numbers in the next decade are going to be the proof that you're looking for.

I did just want to throw this out there, because the thread has kinda gone wonky.

WHAT THE HELL MITSUBISHI! I understand they want to call this the "evolution" of the automobile.... blah blah blah... But someone in marketing should be fired. The EVO name is taken, and to give it to anything else is just about as bad as calling a 2-door Galant an Eclipse. It might actually be worse... I don't know why they think they can just throw around names like that. It's like the Dodge Charger - never was that a 4-door car until someone said hey, lets market on nostalgia and see what happens. The Challenger? Perfect remake, but the Charger and the Duster make me cringe. So does calling this new prototype Evolution.

I think short term —> 25-50 years or so? The Big push is alternative fueling. Motomattx I feel is right, to an extent.
But ultimately. Electric is def the future. I think it has to be.

Whether it be an electric company with billions of dollars in tech burning a fuel much more efficiently than our cars did.
Or solar technology including battery cell development coming a long way to fill the gap on keeping the EV’s going.

I don’t really see WHY we should avoid that. I think it’s smart / good.

Might cry though knowing I’d never again be able to take the 240sx or TSi out for a rip. :(

Somebody will come up with a "conversion" electric motor with bellhousing mounts and motor mounts that will just bolt right in place.....watch.

*shrugs* Believe it if you want; As a person that has spent time in the automotive field, I think your view may be biased. As someone that doesn't pigeonhole himself, most people I've known (outside the enthusiasts) would love to enjoy the convenience that an electric car offers. Most people in the major population centers don't give a sh** about what's powering their cars, they're just a tool to get them from point A to point B, and if they look good, all the better. Hell, a growing trend I've seen is people that haven't gotten their drivers licenses until they're upwards of 25+ because they simply don't need the expense that a car has to offer (payments, maintenance, insurance) when they can Lyft or Uber themselves away to wherever they need to go. Now, I'll admit, my experience is mostly limited to people from Northern California and North and South Carolina, plus Florida, but I also have the unique advantage of growing up in a town where an electric car wasn't quite practical due to the hills and distance between everything until the latest generation started rolling out. The limited range is increasing though, and that's really the only other barrier to entry (other than the insane price of batteries, and thus the whole car) for a large segment of the market.

Now, the enthusiasts? Yea, they're in love with their autos. They are the Americans you're talking about, but your statement doesn't blanket the country. Investments in Fracking? Alternative Fuel? Pipelines? That's the establishment trying so hard to fight against what's coming... but it's coming, like it or not. The future of automobiles will be electric powered, whether that's in a battery or hybrid configuration. Just like cars replaced horses a century ago, better things are coming, and as soon as the price point hits, people will flock to them.

Now, am I saying that ALL gas powered cars will be gone? Not by a long shot. A lot of people don't have money to blow on new cars when theirs still run. Many people actually love the cars they have and have no intention of replacing them, or at least no intention of getting rid of them (as I post on a DSM enthusiast forum about my daily driver being electric... but how much I still love my DSMs) I still occasionally see a Model A driving around Carmichael also. Fossil fuels are going the way of the dinosaur... but it is going to take a very long time for them to all go. They're going to dwindle. In 20-30 years, they may stop manufacturing all but the most specific use cases (working vehicles, heavy equipment, etc...) but the gas burners will be on the road for a long time after that, and anyone that believes otherwise is naive.

As for Tesla... There's just too much there... the $100 down payment with no commitment to buy? That raised them close to 30 million bucks overnight. The ugly ass "truck"? Shaped that way because the stainless steel they're using can't be pressed the way sheet metal is - what I read is that it's actually so hard they have to score it before folding at those bends. The money? Yea, they're losing money all the time, but with every auto manufacturer dumping R&D dollars into electric tech, and the number of available electric models increasing yearly, Tesla's "secret mission" is on the road to coming to fruition - the whole point of the company wasn't to be profitable, it was to force auto manufacturers to build electric cars, and now they are. Heck, even Ford has an F150 electric truck prototype. The Pikes Peak hill climb record? SHATTERED by an electric car.

So, go ahead and keep telling everyone that electric cars are a gimmick. This was my rebuttal, but sales numbers in the next decade are going to be the proof that you're looking for.
You computer nerds keep up this "its coming like it or not mantra", get over it, I'm telling you the same thing, its over like it or not, they aren't coming if we don't want them, deal with it and accept it, your computer nerd dreams aren't going to happen like you want them to. I am much more into electronics and electricity then most anyone you know, I have a two year degree in industrial electronics just to I can build my own projects, I was the kid building devices using integrated circuits in middle school for extra science class credit when the other kids where growing lima beans in a pot, and I drew the schematic and wrote an essay on how the entire thing worked, the teacher shrugged his shoulders and gave me an A for it anyway, I gained much attention from those types of projects over the years each getting better than the last, so if you think that I am biased against electric things NO definitely not, if anything I am biased toward electronics, however that being said I AM logical and practical, there is nothing currently to be gained from all electric vehicles, they still burn coal to make and fuel them and they pollute due to this, the battery disposal and production with lead and other heavy metals in the cars again is a pollutant in itself. the electric car thing seems to be from what I have seen a geek/nerd dream of some type that is angering said nerd/geeks because they see it failing and not being widely accepted, these same people invested heavily in some cases in electric cars and other geek things like bit coin for example, and we all know how those things are working out, try not to take your frustrations out on others as these things fail. Theres an old saying: "liars sometimes figure, but figures never lie" the stuff aint selling and companies that have invested in the stuff are losing money on it, I cited proof of it earlier, prove me wrong folks, not in your lifetime will you witness a proliferation of electric vehicles, wont happen, wont be allowed even if we all wanted it.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Inconvenient-Truth-About-Electric-Vehicles.html#

Last edited:
I mean, realistically, electric cars arent that bad of a concept. But you have to get that energy from somewhere and it takes a pretty long time compared to filling up a fuel tank. You can fill a tank in no time and be on your way while to get a full charge, on some motorcycles, it takes an hour and you cant really go that far.

Solar power to power a car, while good, will only charge the best when the sun is directly overhead, otherwise you drastically lose the charging potential of the solar power. It would suck on a rainy day, or cloud cover, or at night.

Anyone see the guy who works on Teslas? It looks like an absolute nightmare because the battery pack is on the under side of the car and he basically has to drag them out and you cant just take out the problem point and need an entirely new battery. Have fun getting that delivered to your house, or getting your car to a dealer to get it replaced.

Fast-charging exists. You can charge most batteries now 25% in 10 minutes from dead. Why are we arguing about electric cars in the first place? The point of this was to bi*** about Mitsubishi I thought (which I am so onboard for). Mitsubishi is not going to ever get back into the automotive game if they are constantly a decade behind everyone making cheap cars noone wants. News flash Mitsubishi, Kia and Hyundai are already occupying this market and they are doing it way better!! See the Palisade? hot damn, I hate SUVs, with a burning passion, but i'd drive that. Talk about cheap luxury. Mitsubishi will just have to settle for their garbage market in the Asian Pacific Islands. Even then, they won't hold their place there for long either as the economy in those places are trending strongly upwards.

As for electric cars being our lords and saviors. Here is a hot take from a young person, Electric cars won't save us from global warming. We need everyone who commutes to have reliable mass transit. I dream of a world where only enthusiasts drive. Where I can drive my DSM in 2029 in peace without having to worry about Becky driving her POS 2005 Honda Civic with one foot while she does her makeup and vapes. Not paying attention to the road until its too late crashing into the back of my car. Good luck to me sourcing a 2gb talon rear bumper in 2029.

Last edited:
Sure, fast charging exists, and at 0% it takes about 20 minutes to do 50% but its not 40 minutes to 100%. It's over an hour, but that isn't anywhere close to a couple of minutes when it comes to fuel. That number is also with a purchase of a supercharger or using the supercharge station for tesla.

Mitsubishe doesn't need yet another SUV/Crossover when it already has 2 models with a ton of selections with only having 1 car. They have practically dropped their entire lineup for whatever reason which to me doesn't look like a good sign.

You computer nerds keep up this "its coming like it or not mantra", get over it, I'm telling you the same thing, its over like it or not, they aren't coming if we don't want them, deal with it and accept it, your computer nerd dreams aren't going to happen like you want them to. I am much more into electronics and electricity then most anyone you know, I have a two year degree in industrial electronics just to I can build my own projects, I was the kid building devices using integrated circuits in middle school for extra science class credit when the other kids where growing lima beans in a pot, and I drew the schematic and wrote an essay on how the entire thing worked, the teacher shrugged his shoulders and gave me an A for it anyway, I gained much attention from those types of projects over the years each getting better than the last, so if you think that I am biased against electric things NO definitely not, if anything I am biased toward electronics, however that being said I AM logical and practical, there is nothing currently to be gained from all electric vehicles, they still burn coal to make and fuel them and they pollute due to this, the battery disposal and production with lead and other heavy metals in the cars again is a pollutant in itself. the electric car thing seems to be from what I have seen a geek/nerd dream of some type that is angering said nerd/geeks because they see it failing and not being widely accepted, these same people invested heavily in some cases in electric cars and other geek things like bit coin for example, and we all know how those things are working out, try not to take your frustrations out on others as these things fail. Theres an old saying: "liars sometimes figure, but figures never lie" the stuff aint selling and companies that have invested in the stuff are losing money on it, I cited proof of it earlier, prove me wrong folks, not in your lifetime will you witness a proliferation of electric vehicles, wont happen, wont be allowed even if we all wanted it.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/The-Inconvenient-Truth-About-Electric-Vehicles.html#

I am an electrical engineer currently working on an electrification project for the construction market. It isn't ready to take over for fossil fuels yet. But it is getting closer by the day. I love my gas cars, I have no interest in an electric vehicle and likely never will. But the benefits of electric are there. The lack of many of the moving parts of an ICE, the control and response of electric motors vs the ICE is night and day. The cars are not ready for the mainstream yet contrary to what some would lead you to believe. The sales figures show that as you mention. But people on the coasts at least love the idea of a self driving electric car. I lived in Orange County, CA for a couple years around 2014. The electric car was very desirable to the people living there. Regardless of whether they are effective or practical. This applies to both "nerds", as you say, and "non-nerds".

I also totally agree with the points you made about the battery disposal and production pollution. The greenest car in the world is a used one. Most of a vehicle's emissions occur during production and transport to the dealership. But saying electric cars pollute because coal plants is not quite accurate. Coal produces emissions no doubt, but the plants are highly efficient compared to an ICE. The amount of energy a coal plant can extract from equivalent amounts of coal means the coal plant is much more efficient. Just something to consider.

There will always be a market for gasoline cars, assuming they aren't made illegal. There are use cases that the electric won't be able to satisfy. But for most people, the electric car will be a better, more practical, and more desirable option.

Fast-charging exists. You can charge most batteries now 25% in 10 minutes from dead. Why are we arguing about electric cars in the first place? The point of this was to bi*** about Mitsubishi I thought (which I am so onboard for). Mitsubishi is not going to ever get back into the automotive game if they are constantly a decade behind everyone making cheap cars noone wants. News flash Mitsubishi, Kia and Hyundai are already occupying this market and they are doing it way better!! See the Palisade? hot damn, I hate SUVs, with a burning passion, but i'd drive that. Talk about cheap luxury. Mitsubishi will just have to settle for their garbage market in the Asian Pacific Islands. Even then, they won't hold their place there for long either as the economy in those places are trending strongly upwards.

As for electric cars being our lords and saviors. Here is a hot take from a young person, Electric cars won't save us from global warming. We need everyone who commutes to have reliable mass transit. I dream of a world where only enthusiasts drive. Where I can drive my DSM in 2029 in peace without having to worry about Becky driving her POS 2005 Honda Civic with one foot while she does her makeup and vapes. Not paying attention to the road until its too late crashing into the back of my car. Good luck to me sourcing a 2gb talon rear bumper in 2029.

I agree with this. There has to be a middle ground. Whether or not the electric vehicle takes over the market, I want to at least be able to drive a gasoline car if I want. Washington state (where I live) just got rid of emissions testing because supposedly the air is clean enough to not need to test every car. That may or may not be the actual reason (I think they may have been losing money on the whole operation) but that is my hope for this situation; that we will get to a point to where gasoline engines are not eliminated but allowed. I hate the idea of being "tolerated", but it's better than having our cars banned for not being "clean".

If you want to drive an electric car, cool! If I could afford one I would buy one, but I also want to be able to take my gasoline sports car for a weekend drive every now and then.

Now about the Mitsubishi concept... I don't think it looks terrible. But the fact that they want to call it an Evo is disgusting.

At least its not the Ford Mustang Mach "E" LOL what a disaster that concept is, talk about alienating your audience, I think they put this stuff out there just to see what the tolerance level is for it, remember a few years ago when the "smart" cars were all the rage at the auto shows and we heard the same rhetoric "they are the future" "they are coming like it or not" etc etc... where are they now? know anyone that has one? where are all the smart car dealerships all over the country? LOL, again the people voted them down and have spoken.

I just wish there were more cars. Every time I go to the store there are always 2 massive trucks that park either side of me and then I have to hope no one comes flying down the lane while I back out of my parking spot since I cant see anything. Either that or have separate parking. If Mitsubishi is the example of the trend that is to come where manufactures make more and more SUV/Crossovers and Trucks then its just going to get worse. People cant really buy cars if there are no options.

The concept for the e-Evolution doesnt look bad, i just dont think its going to sell. How many people have seen the new Eclipse Cross? In fact I hardly see any Mitsubishis period. There needs to be a performance car with options for eco friendly and so on.

I'm with Cherry, an eco friendly performance car would be cool. If they want eco friendly cars, please make some of them fun! Better to have eco friendly sports cars than none at all... but I don't think the market for sports cars will die anytime soon. Knock on wood.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back