The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

IMPROVE YOUR SHIFT!!! w/energy susp. bushings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

first off, no one has posted anything about these yet so id figure ill help the community by sharing my experience with them and to show you how to install them.

PLEASE RATE, SO I GET AN IDEA ON HOW U FEEL ABOUT THIS HOW-TO! THNKS

WHY SHOULD I REPLACE MY SHIFTER PLATE BUSHINGS???

well if u havent replaced your shifter plate bushings yet chances are they look like mine, all worn out, dry rotted and weak, this causes a spongy/numb feeling when shifting and may cause missing a gear because having worn out bushings will cause more play therefore when your shift you actually move the whole plate squishing all the weak bushing to the side instead of just the shifter stick, so this can get really annoying when trying to shift fast at the track and you do nothing but miss 3rd all day (me LOL).

RESULT:
a very good improvement replacement part for a 15 year old piece of rubber, stiffer mount, and shifts are accurate and smooth just like new!!!

here is a little easy to follow how to,

TOOLS: 12MM socket with ratchet and preferably a 6 inch exention.

PARTS: ENERGY SUSPENSION POLYURETHANE BUSHING KIT FOR SHIFTER PLATE

WHERE TO BUY:$11.00 @ EXTREME PSI http://www.extremepsi.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=17328&cat=571&page=1

IF:

you like it,
you hate it,
you apreciate it,
or you dont care,
let me know... any feedback is good.

Attachments

• CIMG1111.jpg
    CIMG1111.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 957
Last edited:
now first you would need is a 12mm socket/ratchet w/an extension.

remove all four bolts and 4 washers. (washers dont come off bolt)

Attachments

• CIMG1112.jpg
    CIMG1112.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,200
now remove the bushing sleeve off from the old worn bushings, they are all the same, and i used a pair of needle nose pliers.

Attachments

• CIMG1114.jpg
    CIMG1114.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,221
with the same pliers i just pulled out the old 1 piece bushings, just pry them out straight up.

Attachments

• CIMG1115.jpg
    CIMG1115.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,165
this is the difference from the old one with the new set of bushings, notice the size difference (meaning that my old ones are worn out bad).

you will still use the bolt washer and sleeve.

Attachments

• CIMG1116.jpg
    CIMG1116.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,272
notice how the old bushing is one piece and the new one is a two piece, make sure you put the slim bushing under the plate... as shown below

Attachments

• CIMG1117.jpg
    CIMG1117.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,189
heres where u put the slim bushing underneath the shifter plate, i pushed the shifter towards 5th gear to make some room for my hands so i can fit it thru easier, (the plate should be loose because you removed all 4 bolts holding it down).

Attachments

• CIMG1120.jpg
    CIMG1120.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,215
now put the large bushing in, and make sure its snug in there.

Attachments

• CIMG1121.jpg
    CIMG1121.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,108
now you can push in that sleeve you removed earlier, cleaning your hardware is a good habit and prolongs the overall life of your car, so even its not that big of a deal, it would be nice if you clean these sleeves before you reinstall them.

i just put my pliers there to point them out, i really just used my hand to slide it in.

Attachments

• CIMG1122.jpg
    CIMG1122.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,062
last but not least, reinstall your bolts, dont forget to install those sleeves because if you forget you may damage your bushings by squishing them out.

torque the bolts to 50-60 inlbs, but if you dont have a tq wrench then tighten them untill the bolt touches the spacer sleeve and do another half turn.

enjoy your new shifting experience!!!

Attachments

• CIMG1123.jpg
    CIMG1123.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 979
This is a common upgrade, people have been doing it for a while. An alternative is the Symborski solid aluminum bushings. I have just been using washers with no bushing for the last several years.

This is an excellent how-to, none-the-less.

i have added these solid shifter cable bushings,

tools: none required

first remove the cotter pins, then add a peice of metal to hold the pushing down while you pull the shifter end out.

Attachments

• CIMG1169.JPG
    CIMG1169.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 808
install that piece of metal and pull the rod end out, it should look like this

Attachments

• CIMG1170.JPG
    CIMG1170.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 714
  • CIMG1171.JPG
    CIMG1171.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 721
take a look on the OEM rubber bushing on how worn, torn and unserviceable it is.

now check out that solid copper replacement bushing, (2pc)

Attachments

• CIMG1174.JPG
    CIMG1174.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 731
now, clean the insides of the rod end ring, just to make sure it fits good with the new bushing, as it might have some dirt preventing from a snug fit for the new bushings as they are solid.

these 3 pics are going to be in a row, because its a simple step by step picture format, remember to rate this please!!!

Attachments

• CIMG1175.JPG
    CIMG1175.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 713
  • CIMG1176.JPG
    CIMG1176.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 690
  • CIMG1177.JPG
    CIMG1177.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 701
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back